Flight test, episode III

Old February 29th 04, 10:39 PM
nauga

Default Flight test, episode III

Three more flights this weekend. Still trying to
run the engine hard to break it in, so it's an
excuse to go nowhere fast. On Friday I was cruising
up the river at ~3000 feet and passed about 50 ft
under a bald eagle. I was surprised to see him
that high (2500 agl), he was just plain surprised
to see me.
First stalls today. I have not calibrated the pitot-
static system, so no real hard numbers, but it indicates
60 knots at power off, flaps up stall, and ~45 KIAS
full flaps, power off. These numbers mean nothing until
I measure position error, though. Handling wise the
stalls are better than I expected. Controls get noticably
light 7-10 knots before stall, then about 2-3 knots prior
it feels like someone is holding the aft stick and shaking
it sort of hard...low frequency, like a 'rattle'. I first
thought I must be crossing someone's wake or hitting a thermal
or something, but I could accel out of it and decel into
it at will. I've only flown two RV-6's before, and neither
one felt like this. It's certainly a good indication that
something's about to happen. The stall itself is a non-event.
With the ball centered there was a little wing bobble followed
by a pretty good pitch break. Recovery was immediate when
I relaxed aft stick.
Accel out afterward and worked up in g. Control forces are
pretty hefty out there, probably 6-7 pounds per g or so.
My cg is probably about as far forward as it's ever gonna
get, though. The forces certainly aren't objectionable,
just higher than I expected. 4 g's at 120 KIAS feels
like turning backflips inside your own...well, you
get the idea.
8 knot crosswind back at home, 15 knots down the runway,
gusty. I swear it wasn't like that when I left. Anyway,
I got it down in one piece. Probably right at my limit
for early flight test.
I'm starting to get comfortable with all the normal
thumps and rumbles, and can sort of tell what some of them
mean. Time to watch for complacency. My revised plan
is to do an airpeed cal next time I get smooth air, then
keep running the engine hard until 10 hours or so. Then
the wheel pants will go on and I'll fix the rigging and
get some real performance numbers. I'm ready for a rainy
weekend day so I can do some of the minor stuff that's
accumulating.

Dave 'no gust, no glory' Hyde

RV-4 in flight test.

Old March 1st 04, 02:35 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article k.net, nauga
says...

8 knot crosswind back at home, 15 knots down the runway,
gusty. I swear it wasn't like that when I left. Anyway,
I got it down in one piece. Probably right at my limit
for early flight test.

Hey Dave I know of a test pilot that would do all the testing along with loops,
rolls and spins and probably do a "test" pilot report . He's got over 15,000
hours and flew 1000 different types and is the world's most famous fly writer.
Hell he'll even test the dreaded phugoid for coupling the rudder and landing
gear. I bet he would write one heck of an article....and never leave the ground
LOL!!!
Seriously congratulations on getting the plane flying .

See ya

Chuck (test pilot?? I don't need no stinkin' test pilot) S

Old March 1st 04, 08:44 PM
Snowbird

"nauga" wrote in message thlink.net...
Three more flights this weekend.

Awesome!

Hey, any idea what the grass runway is like right now?

Sydney
Old March 1st 04, 11:01 PM
nauga

Snowbird wrote:

Hey, any idea what the grass runway is like right now?

It was in use yesterday.

Dave 'mudbug' Hyde

new theory of flight released Sept 2004 Mark Oliver Aerobatics 1 October 5th 04 10:20 PM
Flight test update nauga Home Built 2 February 25th 04 11:44 PM
Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of Flight (1903-2003) Snuffy Home Built 2 December 11th 03 01:18 AM
ALTRAK pitch system flight report optics student Home Built 2 September 21st 03 11:49 PM