Another Aviation Story

Old February 25th 04, 07:54 PM
pacplyer

You just gotta love these "Kelly's Hero's" type "stories!" "Legrande"
;-)
I've always wondered what happens if you buy an auctioned seized
vehicle, boat or plane, and the drug sniffing dog points out your
machine months later?

Legrande Harris wrote in message .. .
I have a little fictitious story about drug running planes.

In Baja, Mexico, the Federales would take the props off of planes they
suspected were used for smuggling (if they didn't get their cut).
Anyone driving down Baja 1 could see all kinds of planes, with their
props off, at deserted airstrips all the way down the peninsula.

Someone got the idea to copy down the N numbers and find out who owned
the planes. It turned out that most of the planes were owned by
corporations and that most of the corporations didn't even exist. It
was a fairly simple matter to create a corporation with the exact same
name as the fictitious corporation that owned the airplane and become
the legal owner.

After a couple of trips down to Baja for much closer looks at the
planes, 8 planes were selected. They then got a few of their more
adventurous flying buddies to go on a fishing trip with them. It took
about a week to get four of the planes (a 206 and three twins) in good
enough shape to make the trip back North.

The scariest part of the trip was watching Customs inspect the planes,
praying that they wouldn't find anything. The paper work held up. The
planes were sold and the buddies walked away a little richer. They
thought about keeping the planes but they wanted to sleep at night.

Of course this is just a story

Old February 25th 04, 08:36 PM
pacplyer

(B25flyer) wrote snip

Never had that chance at SAT. All the FE's were old salts that would harrass
the rest of us. snip

Know what you mean. At SBW/FTL we had a bunch of PFE's, and most of
those guys could build the airplane with a pocket knife. One old salt
says to us "Let me explain something to you flyboys: I don't do
throttles!" So I had to be the auto throttle all trip - what a pain.
The capt got up to go to the reading room after stowing his bag, and
this character shouts this complaint at me: "MY FIRST NAME IS COFFIE,
AND MY SECOND NAME IS LOGBOOK!" Then he pulls the curtain across and
disappears into his own little country back there.

But later on the 10 had a bunch of re-treads (former career cpt's) who
were so slow and clueless, when you called for a checklist, it would
be faster to watch paint dry on the wall. They could tell you all
about how to do your job, but were semi-helpless and out of touch on
the panel. But just as many of them were good at their jobs, old
friends and real gentlemen to work with.

But I have to agree with Doug. Three crew is a lot more fun.

My second flight as a newbie Capt was a real thrill. The FE and I had flown
together alot when I was an FO and we got along great. His sense of humor was a
little on the bland and dry side. We were sitting in the Herc at CHS waiting
for some paperwork and he made a remark about congatulations on making Capt and
since I was a newbie he wanted to make sure that we had an understanding about
a few things. His remark was," There are three things on a Herc that can kill
me. Props, bleed air, and pilots. I can take care of two of those items if you
take care of the third."

I could grasp the meaning of his statement as I knew that he had over 15,000
hours of panel time on the Herc with 5 different airlines.

He was also involved in one of my biggest embaressing moments as a FO. On a
layover at NPA I was taking the time from my "Red Book" and transfering it to
my master log book. After adding up the totals, low and behold I had past
10,000 hours total time with 550 in the Herc. Bonzo, the Capt and Bud the afore
mentioned FE were the rest of the crew. I proudly announced the monumental
numbers and was just feeling like I had set some kind of record. Capt. Bonzo
layed down the paper he was reading, removed the pipe from mouth and announced,
"I have over 12,000 hours of Herc time." Bud chimed in with the " I have over
15,000 hours of panel time on the Herc." So I just closed the books, put them
back in the flight case and went out for a walk.

Lesson learned was that in Aviation no matter what you have done or how much
you have done, someone else can probably top it.

Walt

Good post Walt. Where was NPA?

pac
Old February 25th 04, 09:09 PM
B25flyer

Good post Walt. Where was NPA?

pac

Pensacola Naval Airstation. It was on a Quicktrans flight, the Navy version of
Logair.

Walt
Old February 26th 04, 02:54 AM
Daniel

B25flyer wrote ...

... in Aviation no matter what you have done or how much
you have done, someone else can probably top it.

And they all run their mouths on RAH.

Daniel
Old February 26th 04, 04:05 AM
Morgans

"Daniel" wrote in message
om...
B25flyer wrote ...

... in Aviation no matter what you have done or how much
you have done, someone else can probably top it.

And they all run their mouths on RAH.

Daniel

Do us a favor. Got any other snide remarks? Keep them to yoourself. Be
part of the solution, not the problem.

---

Old February 26th 04, 06:56 PM
dann mann

That has happened a couple of times here in San Diego. Unsuspecting
folks bought confiscated cars and drove them back into Mexico. At some
point they were searched and found to have large caches of marijuana
hidden. The pot was old and moldy and these guys spent about a year in a
Mexican jail pleading their innocence.
Finally let out and are now suing the Border Patrol.

Old February 27th 04, 11:46 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , B25flyer says...

Lesson learned was that in Aviation no matter what you have done or how much
you have done, someone else can probably top it.

Walt

Most likely it will be zoom....just ask him LOL!!! Good story Walt.
See ya at SnF

Chuck S

Old February 27th 04, 01:26 PM
Daniel

Morgans wrote ...
... Got any other snide remarks? Keep them to yoourself. Be
part of the solution, not the problem.

Relax, it was facetious, not snide. But thank you for proving the point.

Daniel

General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM
Aviation Story jls Home Built 34 February 7th 04 06:10 PM
Here's the Recompiled List of 82 Aircraft Accessible Aviation Museums! Jay Honeck Home Built 18 January 20th 04 04:02 PM
Compiled List of Aircraft-Accessible Aviation Museums Jay Honeck Home Built 23 January 17th 04 10:07 AM