OXYGEN HANGOVER?

Old October 9th 05, 05:15 AM

Default OXYGEN HANGOVER?

All,
I fly from an airfield that is over 6000 feet elevation, therefore I
use oxygen on most flights. I have found that I get a headache that
lasts for several hours following every flight. I use an EDS system
and have tried several different settings; everything from its maximum
setting which delivers oxygen when I'm sitting on the ground, up to
having it begin to deliver oxygen starting at 10,000 feet. When we
first moved here, it took a day or two to acclimate and the headache I
had then is the same as my post-flight symptoms as far as I can tell.
Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? I feel fine in the air and
immediately after the flight, but a half hour or so later I get the
headach. The only thing I can figure is that my physiology must be
sensitive to changes in oxygen levels. Any suggestions on something I
may be doing wrong? Something I can do to prevent my oxygen hangovers?
Thanks.

Old October 9th 05, 06:10 AM

are you sure it isn't your eyes?

Old October 9th 05, 06:21 AM
bumper

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I recommend you get a pulse oximeter to monitor your O2 saturation. That way
you'll be able to see what's going on anyway. Perhaps it's your breathing,
etc.

all the best,

bumper
Minden, NV

Old October 9th 05, 07:35 AM
309

I agree with another poster, make sure it isn't your eyes. Are you
wearing good sunglasses -- that fit right? Maybe try a different
pair... Reflections under or around the rims can cause eye fatigue,
and "squint" headaches. When I used to tow I would get vicious
headaches from squinting and another factor that you should consider:
dehydration. Lunch might be a good thing to monitor, too.

Being on more oxygen will dehydrate you faster... When it's put in the
tanks, it's dryer than ambient air (medical/aviators/welding oxygen are
ALL dried!!!) Another consideraton is your acclimation to your new
environs. Are you getting enough water? Also, if you're getting that
headache after your (first) post-flight beer, that could be another
possible cause (again, dehydration rather than alcohol effects). If
you're hydrating yourself enough, make sure you're passing that water,
too. A full bladder can lead to other complications. As Kemp Izuno
once remarked, the most cost effective performance improvement to a
glider isn't winglets: it's a relief tube! On the other hand, you
might be allergic to clean air...

Next time you start getting the headache, go back and get more oxygen;
see if this helps with the headache. That won't necessarily rule out
dehydration. A different tact would be to make sure you're hydrating
yourself (water or gatorade, not beer or coffee!) after your flight, as
well as during flight. Lack of sufficient caffiene (for us coffee
addicts) can also bring on a headache. I still remember the training
term: "adequately" caffienated.

My bet is that your headaches are caused by dehydration and/or
squinting. I have suffered from both. Getting the oximeter is still a
good suggestion...I have one, too.

You didn't mention where you're flying...that might enlighten us about
sun angles, spider bites, etc. You might want to partake of an
altitude chamber ride, if you haven't already. They train you on much,
much more about physiology, hydration, survival, nutrition, sinus
care...etc. They might know something about "oxygen hangovers." I
think they use oxygen to TREAT hangovers...

For training see:
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/a...logy/index.cfm

Fifty bucks for a chamber "ride" is one of the best deals in avaition.
I've been there twice; once for soaring, once for work (there they
took us to 35k vs. 25k for hypoxia...). A class 3 medical is required,
but a pulse is about all you need to get one of those...

-Pete

Old October 9th 05, 08:40 AM
Charles Yeates

Talk to an appropriate doctor before you take your chamber "ride" ---
your original climatizing headache might suggest a basic physical
problem -- why guess?

Old October 9th 05, 04:24 PM
P.Corbett (ZZ)

[...]

The fact that you are using oxygen implies that you are flying at high
altitudes and are therefore subjected to long descents. Even a moderate
decent RATE, maintained for a long time can result in sinus induced
headaches. When it comes to ocular induced headaches, wives tales are
not in short supply. If you have an eye problem which is causing
headaches, it would be evident even when on terra firma so I think it is
safe to rule out an eye problem. I am thinking sinuses here. Good luck.

Paul
Old October 10th 05, 03:46 AM
Mal

If its your sinuses try using a nasal clearing pot a netti works wonders.

Old October 10th 05, 06:58 AM
Bruce

My 2c worth.

Have had similar problems. Particularly when I got my single seater - because
longer flights became the norm.
In my case the headaches were sinus related, caused by a combination of things.

Dry air, sun in the face for extended periods, hay fever from all the grasslands
and dust. Tend to end up with sinus congestion, then a descent from FL100+ to
5000MSL, and a thick head.

The solution was to drink a LOT more. I take a 3L camelbac with me and will
empty it in four hours. Saline nasal spray also helps with the drying effect.

Good luck
Bruce

309 wrote:
I agree with another poster, make sure it isn't your eyes. Are you
wearing good sunglasses -- that fit right? Maybe try a different
pair... Reflections under or around the rims can cause eye fatigue,
and "squint" headaches. When I used to tow I would get vicious
headaches from squinting and another factor that you should consider:
dehydration. Lunch might be a good thing to monitor, too.

SNIP

I've been there twice; once for soaring, once for work (there they
took us to 35k vs. 25k for hypoxia...). A class 3 medical is required,
but a pulse is about all you need to get one of those...

-Pete

Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57
I'm no-T at the address above.