light twins?

Old July 22nd 05, 10:17 PM
Bellsouth News Server

Default light twins?

Greetings,

What light twins exist now? What I'd like to have is something like the
AirCam, for 100 mph, carefree low and scenic flying. Actually, push/pull
symetrical thrust would be even better. The AirCam would be fine as is, if
I could get a kit that's made from traditional materials, rather than gold
as the price would suggest :-)

Cheers,
Rusty

Old July 23rd 05, 01:29 PM
Gordon Arnaut

Rusty,

Check out http://www.spectrumaircraft.com/

Regards,

Gordon.

. ..

Old July 23rd 05, 01:48 PM
Bellsouth News Server

Thanks Gordon,

I actually found that site yesterday, and the A-36 Vulcan would certainly
fit the bill. I have a message into Spectrum now to see if this is a real
product, or still in development. With any luck, it will be far cheaper
than the AirCam, though you wouldn't think so to look at both of them.

Cheers,
Rusty

Old July 23rd 05, 01:55 PM
Gordon Arnaut

Good luck, Rusty.

These little twins look very interesting to me. They claim the little
two-stroke twin is able to take off on one engine, which is a pretty
impressive feat.

I also like that they are aluminum construction and the wing is a long-span,
high aspect ratio design that should give a very good glide ratio. Looks
like thoughtful design throughout -- not surprising since I understand the
principals are engineers from Antonov.

Old July 24th 05, 05:52 PM
Bellsouth News Server

I got a reply from Spectrum, and it wasn't quite what I expected. I had
mentioned in my original message that my interest was in putting two single
rotor Mazda engines on the plane. Unfortunately, they seem to be very
anti-experimental, and it was suggested that I "find some other design to
mess with...". Silly me, I thought it would be a perfect design to test
alternative engines. Needless to say, they won't be getting any of my
business.

Cheers,
Rusty
13B Mazda power RV-3B flying
Single rotor Mazda powered Kolb Slingshot in progress (got rid of the 912S)

Old July 24th 05, 08:40 PM
Gordon Arnaut

Rusty,

Thanks for the update.

I hate that kind of attitude from vendors too. Oh well, if they don't like
the color of your money, it's their loss.

I'm intrigued by your twin-wankel idea. I appreciate the elegant simplicity
of the wankel design myself and try to keep abreast of what's happening in
the rotary avaition community.

When you say single-rotor, are you talking about a 13b that has been
shortened? I wonder too about the smaller displacement Mazdas -- you never
hear much about those, but I would assume they should be lighter than the
13b.

Regards,

Gordon.

.. .

Old July 25th 05, 01:55 PM
Bellsouth News Server

Hi Gordon,

Yes, by single rotor, I mean a shortened 13B engine. This requires a few
custom made pieces, primarily the eccentric shaft, but these are probably
going to become more available as the Sport Pilot class of planes comes
online.

Mazda did make smaller engines, but it was a long time ago. The 10A ended
production in 74 I believe. The 12A was a good engine, and it's "only" been
out of production for 20 years. The 13B is by far the most commonly
available engine today, though it won't be too many years before the Renesis
will take over that honor. Unfortunately, the smaller engines aren't all
that much lighter, since it's the rotor housing and rotor that get narrower.
Also, as the 13B advanced, the rotors got lighter, to the point where a late
model 13B rotor is probably lighter than a 10A rotor. I haven't looked at
the weights, so that's just my estimation. Bottom line is that the 13B, and
Renesis are about the only realistic choices for single rotor conversions at
this time.

What would be better than a single, would be a smaller two rotary. There
are any number of these popping up, but like so many other new engines we
see, they just never seem to materialize, and if they do, they're so
expensive that they lose their appeal. There are some very attractive
rotaries made for UAV/target drone use, but they aren't sold for manned
aircraft, and I haven't been able to figure out what the TBO would be.
Can't imagine the life expectancy of a target drone is very many hours :-)
Getting parts for these odd engines would be a problem as well.

Cheers,
Rusty

Old July 25th 05, 02:31 PM
Gordon Arnaut

Thanks for the info, Rusty.

How much does the 13b single rotor weigh? And how much does it cost to get
the e-shaft shortened?

I think I saw a picture of that drone you mentioned. It's an air-cooled
rotary made by the Israelis, I believe.

I too would love to see a small two-rotor, preferably air-cooled and with
aluminum end housings. That would make a very nice little engine.

There is an outfit here in Canada that is promising to produce some small
rotaries for light planes, but I don't know how far along they are. A German
outfit makes single-rotor go-kart engines, as well as an UL version.

Old July 25th 05, 08:46 PM
Frank van der Hulst

Bellsouth News Server wrote:
What would be better than a single, would be a smaller two rotary.

Whatever happened to the motorcycle rotaries? IIRC Suzuki had a 500cc
rotary in a motorcycle about 20 years ago. And Norton too?

I'd guess that a rotary of this size would be ideal for a microlight
aircraft.
Old July 25th 05, 10:49 PM
Mark Smith

Frank van der Hulst wrote:

Bellsouth News Server wrote:
What would be better than a single, would be a smaller two rotary.

Whatever happened to the motorcycle rotaries? IIRC Suzuki had a 500cc
rotary in a motorcycle about 20 years ago. And Norton too?

I'd guess that a rotary of this size would be ideal for a microlight
aircraft.

All this talk about the rotary engine.

If they were this great, would there not be at least a couple cars
running them ?
--
Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales