Glide computer review

Old December 4th 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Itsaplane[_2_]

Default Glide computer review

I'm looking for a ship to buy and find that I don't have much
perspective in evaluating various glide computers. Is there an
existing and comprehensive glide computer review?

My doubtlessly flawed view of the glide computer universe divides
things into two main groups - panel mounted and PDA-based. Another
way to divide things might be between moving map and non-moving map
systems. I'm sure the type of flying is an important in this choice -
contests vs. general XC flying for example.

At the least, I'm hoping for some guidance to distinguish the
Cambridge 302 and the Ilec SN-10B. What else deserves to be
evaluated? Also, are things moving in a particular direction -- like
large super bright (vs. PDA's) built in displays? Having components
that would be useful for doing that later would be plus.

I value: ease of use, readability in sunlight, the ability to monitor
multiple landing options simultaneously, no 250 turn point limitation
(L-Nav), and reliable wind data. I like to fly into areas I've never
been to before and haven't done contests - but might.

Thanks to all who will take a crack at this,

Eric
ER
Old December 4th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Dec 4, 10:53*am, Itsaplane wrote:
[...]

A good start would be to review the wealth of info on Paul Remde's
'value added' section under product comparisons/selections section:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/#Value_Added , particularly the flight
computers section:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flightcomputers.htm

-Paul Hanson
Old December 4th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

I second that. Paul compares the options better than I ever could. I
just used his SeeYou tutorial and must say that it was excellent. I
am surprised that SeeYou has not bought that tutorial from him and
branded it their own.

As far as PDA vs expensive panel option: I am at your stage of the
game and have chosen to go the PDA route with the EW microrecorder. I
am sure there are drawbacks but I am too naive to realize them just
yet. For $1,000 I have what I need for badge flights and
competitions. Many of the high dollar ships use an EW Microrecorder
as a backup so I figure I have not wasted anything by buying one.

Lane
Old December 4th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

[...]

Eric,

Consider a CAI 302 with a Caggy Aero Ultimate

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate.htm

Call if you want to talk about different options, I have used and
tested in flight most of the options available.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old December 4th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I would be glad to talk to you and give you my insights into the many
options. You can also view my product comparisons on my web site under the
"Comparisons" menu.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flightcomputers.htm

I have played and soared with most soaring instruments. They all have their
pros and cons. The key is to find the one that matches your needs and
desires.

You may want to ask some local glider pilots what they like and don't like
about their flight computers.

I can be reached at 952-445-9033 or via Skype.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old December 4th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

"Comparisons" menu.http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/http:...tcomputers.htm

"Itsaplane" wrote in message

[...]

Paul wrote "The key is to find the one that matches your needs and
desires."

This should read "find the one that matches your needs,
desires and pocket book."

Old December 4th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tim,

Good point!

Paul Remde

Old December 5th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WE[_3_]

Eric,

You simple can't beat the SN-10 as a flight computer. It is rock
solid, easy to read and provides all the information you need, when
you need and on the screens you need it. You don't need a PDA with it
either. I find no other computer that solves the racing problem
better. There is no other computer that computes the wind as well
either -- it is simply to best -- and you need accurate wind for
accurate final glides. Finally, the built in vario is extremely
good. You will have to add a GPS unit. The SN-10 was designed to
work with a Volkslogger which is a solid, reliable device. The SN-10
can declare tasks directly to it. I don't use but like the new ERIXX
GPS/Logger that Wings and Wheels sells. I hear too many bad stories
about the EW giving people trouble. The 302 would be a good choice
but is expensive.

My second choice would be the ClearNav with a 302. A good system but
requires extra panel space.

I've also looked carefully at the LX8000. Very nice, very expensive,
and requires better eyes than I have to see (not good if you require
bi-focals.

WE
Old December 5th 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 04:46:27 -0800 (PST), WE wrote:

Eric,

You simple can't beat the SN-10 as a flight computer. It is rock
solid, easy to read and provides all the information you need, when
you need and on the screens you need it.

I fly two different gliders, one is equipped with the SN-10 and the
other with the Zander ZS-1. I've also had long experience with the
LX-5000 (easy interface, good task management, the vario might be
better) and the S-Nav.

You don't need a PDA with it either.

Maybe you don't "need" a PDA, but I find a PDA very useful as loading
airspace, and navigating accurately around it is much easier with a
PDA and a good software.

I find no other computer that solves the racing problem
better. There is no other computer that computes the wind as well
either -- it is simply to best -- and you need accurate wind for
accurate final glides.

I disagree on this point. The Zander is much better in this respect,
as it is linked to a compass and computes the wind in real time, with
reliable accuracy. The SN-10's wind calculation leaves a lot to be
desired when flying "in" an alpine terrain. I will concede that, once
above the ridges, its wind calculation is actually accurate. But as
you descend in the valleys, your only reliable option is to consider
the "wind component" (head or tail) in the appropriate wind page. Many
times the two values are totally incoherent, and the truth is to be
found more in the "component" calculation which unfortunately lacks,
as we all know, wind direction and speed.
Unfortunately, this requires switching page very frequently.
Me and a group of users have submitted these suggestions to Dave,
quite some time ago.

Finally, the built in vario is extremely good.

that's why I still like the SN-10.
If you take the price into consideration, and you fly in a flat
territory, then the Ilec is hard to beat.

Aldo Cernezzi
(no commercial interest in the equipment business)

Old December 5th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Dec 5, 6:50*am, cernauta wrote:
[...]

I've flown with the 302/Winpilot-on an iPaq PDA, 302/SeeYou Mobile-on
an iPaq PDA, LX-7000, SN-10, GPS Nav. I have played with Craggy
Ultimate LX-8000 and ClearNav. I've stuck with the 302-PDA
combination because I love the 302, but find the PDA is becoming too
dim and small for older eyes. The newer big-format screens are
impressive if you go with the bigger brighter displays (Ultimate
always had this, I think the ClearNav has upgraded too). A lot of
contest pilots use the SN-10. It is a much less compelling visual
display (think DOS versus Windows) - but a lot of people love the
simple output. SeeYou probably has the best PC integration. There are
also less widely distributed (and in some cases cheaper) options like
Glide Navigator and StrePla (don't ask me what the name means).

Best to go to a contest and play with some. Some also have demos
online.

9B

Cheap Glide Computer Uncle Fuzzy Soaring 18 November 9th 09 09:24 PM
New LK8000 glide computer video PCool Soaring 6 October 12th 09 06:19 PM
iPhone Glide Computer Kloudy via AviationKB.com Soaring 13 September 13th 07 03:41 AM
Glide computer Mark Siegelberg Soaring 1 January 13th 07 01:08 PM
Best Glide computer and why Roger Soaring 10 October 24th 06 08:28 PM