Antonov vs Galaxy cockpit

Old June 25th 04, 03:35 PM
Emilio

Default Antonov vs Galaxy cockpit

Antonov cockpit:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/391247/L/

Galaxy cockpit:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/498959/L/

Aside from a truck parked on Galaxys hood, what is the major design
philosophy difference between American and Russian cockpit layout? Russian
cockpit seems simpler and has large number of idiot lights. American
cockpit if filled with toggle switches. Antonov design seems to show more
clear separation of job task between the pilot and engineer. Any opinions?

What with the big fan that is pointed at the windshield on Antonov? Galaxy
has the fan pointed at the windshield as well. Don't the have defrost air
vents by the windshield, a common 1950 automobile design?

Emilio.

Old June 25th 04, 11:03 PM
gary pearson

What you cannot see from the Antonov picture is the 4 crew seats behind the
pilots. 2 flight engineers on the right side of the cockpit, 1 radio
operator and 1 navigator on the left side. The fans on the antonov are not
for the windsheild, they are cooling fans for the pilots. I know one of them
is pointing at the windshield but they are mounted on a rotating base. I
spent 2 years flying around teh world on An124 charters for Air Foyle. They
are very noisy aircraft although I did have my own cabin so it was quite
comfortable aside from the noise. The worst thing is that you cannot put
toilet paper in teh toilet after you have used it, it goes in a waste bag
hanging by the sink. I hated those toilets.

Old June 28th 04, 10:37 AM
Tamas Feher

I spent 2 years flying around the world on An124 charters Air Foyle.
They
are very noisy aircraft although I did have my own cabin so it was

quite
comfortable aside from the noise. The worst thing is that you cannot

put
toilet paper in teh toilet after you have used it, it goes in a waste

bag
hanging by the sink. I hated those toilets.

Don't complain!

The soviet AWACS (a modified IL-76 transporter) has no toilet at all,
the crew must use a bucket.
(In the last minute extra electronics were added to the design and they
needed to find another 1,5 cubic meters of rack space, so the toilet
went down the loo.)

Old June 28th 04, 04:54 PM
Emilio

Ok that tells me that pilots bodily function came last as far as design. I
guess if they all drink vodka all the time who cares where they go pee!

I met this Polish guy who was drafted by German army during the WW2. As he
put it "it was either army or labor camps." When he avoided labor camps he
was promptly sent to Russian front! At the time I was into camping so I
asked him "What kind of sleeping bag did they give you to sleep in the
cold?" It was a type of rubberized bag and not a thick one he mentioned.
I suppose the bag was a type of vapor barrier bag to keep warm.

How did you take a dump out there when weather was below zero? Oh he said,
they had this oil drum with fire in it and we all sat around in a circle and
did our thing. He laughed and said, I slept on the ground for 3 years, and
no thanks I don't want to go camping and sleep on the ground any longer.

Emilio

Old June 28th 04, 06:10 PM
gary pearson

The IL-76 I flew on had a toilet but it was in the main cargo cabin where my
crew used to hang out during the flight. Never ever used the toilet on an
IL76 because of that. They were a great crew but we were not that close.

Old June 29th 04, 04:15 AM
David E. Powell

"Tamas Feher" wrote in message
I spent 2 years flying around the world on An124 charters Air Foyle.

They
are very noisy aircraft although I did have my own cabin so it was

quite
comfortable aside from the noise. The worst thing is that you cannot

put
toilet paper in teh toilet after you have used it, it goes in a waste

bag
hanging by the sink. I hated those toilets.

Don't complain!

The soviet AWACS (a modified IL-76 transporter) has no toilet at all,
the crew must use a bucket.
(In the last minute extra electronics were added to the design and they
needed to find another 1,5 cubic meters of rack space, so the toilet
went down the loo.)

I guess they just hope they don't have to do any wild maneuvers, or hit any
turbulence. That's something nobody wants on their radar screen!

Old June 29th 04, 11:39 AM
Alistair Gunn

David E. Powell twisted the electrons to say:
I guess they just hope they don't have to do any wild maneuvers, or hit
any turbulence. That's something nobody wants on their radar screen!

Well having just watched _Spaceballs_ I'd guess that would be an
alternative to the radar being "jam'd"! grins
Old June 29th 04, 11:41 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:54:09 -0500, "Emilio"
wrote:

Ok that tells me that pilots bodily function came last as far as design. I
guess if they all drink vodka all the time who cares where they go pee!

The RAF Hurricanes in Burma in 1942 had no relief tubes, and as you
know, the British are notoriously over-indulgent tea drinkers.

Gives a whole new notion of British fighters as short-legged.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old June 29th 04, 11:44 AM
Cub Driver

How did you take a dump out there when weather was below zero? Oh he said,
they had this oil drum with fire in it a

The drums were still active in Vietnam, though the fires were to burn
the contents.

I used oil-filled crappers at Fort Dix in 1956. The promise was that
the oil keep the smell from rising. The promise was not fulfilled.

Old June 29th 04, 03:43 PM
Jim Knoyle

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

How did you take a dump out there when weather was below zero? Oh he

said,
they had this oil drum with fire in it a

The drums were still active in Vietnam, though the fires were to burn
the contents.

I used oil-filled crappers at Fort Dix in 1956. The promise was that
the oil keep the smell from rising. The promise was not fulfilled.

I remember the similarity between the Pullman roomette I rode
when I went back east to join the navy in 1958 and the four
engined military hop I flew back for Christmas. (Andrews to
Palmdale) In one I could see the railroad ties rushing by when
the crapper was flushed and in the other I saw clouds!

backup cockpit lighting Josef Burger Instrument Flight Rules 35 January 2nd 05 01:23 AM
Fake Cockpit Flubke Military Aviation 6 June 16th 04 03:16 PM
Amodel Antonov An-22 Ken Duffey Military Aviation 34 March 16th 04 02:47 PM
What are you guys using for cockpit lights these days? Stealth Pilot Home Built 6 December 9th 03 09:14 AM
FS DeHavilland Open Cockpit Chipmunk [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 October 14th 03 11:10 AM