Military aviation mishaps

Old February 23rd 04, 03:40 PM
Elmshoot

You bet, anybody remember the 'Tulsa Turnaround'?Was met at the jet by
scantily clad babes with a cold drink...pre tailhookfiasco.What airpatch was
that?P. C.

"Honest skipper it broke down there" after that phone call we found out they
had crew rooms in the back for $5 a night. On Friday nights the pool, hot tub
and cabanna were all up and running at MRT. The women were all over, not a bad
place to stop by for gas at uncle sams expense. It cost NO MORE to stop there
great setup for some businessman who new how to attract business.
Sparky
Old February 23rd 04, 06:18 PM
Krztalizer

You bet, anybody remember the 'Tulsa Turnaround'?Was met at the jet by
scantily clad babes with a cold drink...pre tailhookfiasco.What airpatch was
that?P. C.

Sounds like that gREAT gas stop at Salinas, Kansas -- fill up yer jet and get
free steaks at the roadhouse. Oh, and the grapes were all wearing daisy dukes
and not a lot else!

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old February 23rd 04, 11:25 PM
Frijoles

Wasn't it IBA at Tulsa? When we couldn't get tankers, we used to bring the
whole squadron through there for gas and go on the way to deployments for
training. Great turn, nice scenery... Cost no more than any other place.
IIRC Butler Aviation won the contract a few years later but had nowhere near
the facilities to handle traffic like IBA.

One of my squadron-mates once "broke down" in Tulsa on an XC -- "Skipper the
jet won't take fuel..." Turns out the jet was already FULL, so technically
it wasn't a lie...

....fortunately the CO had a sense of humor.

Old February 23rd 04, 11:56 PM
Tex Houston

"Frijoles" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Wasn't it IBA at Tulsa? When we couldn't get tankers, we used to bring

the
whole squadron through there for gas and go on the way to deployments for
training. Great turn, nice scenery... Cost no more than any other place.
IIRC Butler Aviation won the contract a few years later but had nowhere

near
the facilities to handle traffic like IBA.

Flower Aviation owned by Eldon Engel of Pueblo Colorado has used this model
for years, locations at Pueblo, Hobbs NM, Salina KS and soon Garden City KS.
The greeters are personable young ladies who greet you with cookies.

Tex

Old February 24th 04, 05:44 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 2/23/04 5:56 PM, in article , "Tex
Houston" wrote:

"Frijoles" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Wasn't it IBA at Tulsa? When we couldn't get tankers, we used to bring

the
whole squadron through there for gas and go on the way to deployments for
training. Great turn, nice scenery... Cost no more than any other place.
IIRC Butler Aviation won the contract a few years later but had nowhere

near
the facilities to handle traffic like IBA.

Flower Aviation owned by Eldon Engel of Pueblo Colorado has used this model
for years, locations at Pueblo, Hobbs NM, Salina KS and soon Garden City KS.
The greeters are personable young ladies who greet you with cookies.

Tex

Most operations like that have been chased out of business over the years by
the government contract nazis who see perks like free pizzas, steaks, and
discounted rooms as "illegal enticement." Technically, they're right, and
it's unethical, but I wonder whether such rules tend to fly in the face of
true capitalism.

Hence Doug Thompson's FBO's demise losing the government contract at Grand
Junction. That was a guy who got a TACAN approach certified and had folks
who could even service Hornet HYD's and AMAD's.

Ellington still runs a great set up for DACT too.

Don't know whether or not he's still putting up the "o-club" there or not.

I do know I've got time in the A-6 he has on his stick there.

--Woody

Old February 24th 04, 05:57 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 2/22/04 1:41 PM, in article
et, "Joe Delphi"
wrote:

Anecdotal evidence, yes, but I think their corporate cover up makes sense
culturally because of the USAF's very tight regulation and zero tolerance
for mistakes.

I agree, the Air Force has always been better at PR then the other services.

As long as we are on the subject, there was an incident a few years back
when a younger F-14 pilot was on a cross country flight and stopped to
re-fuel at his home town airport, just so his family could see him. The
F-14 crashed on either takeoff or departure while leaving the hometown
airport. Not sure how he justified landing at a non-military airfield for
re-fueling unless there weren't any military airfields around - I think that
was one of the focal points of the accident investigation. Not sure if he
was hot-dogging it when departing or if something just went wrong. Perhaps
someone else has more accurate details.

JD

Pilot made a poor decision to do a max performance take-off and unrestricted
climb into a low overcast that was solid up to the medium altitudes.

Fuel stop was in Nashville, IIRC.

He was overcome by "samatographic vision" (aviation phys types, please
disregard the spelling) which occurs during high deck angle climbs under
afterburner. It is an extremely disorienting thing (personal experience).

Basically, the combination of push from the burners and transverse (through
the chest) g's from the nose up attitude makes you feel even more nose high
than you are--even when you push the nose over... which is exactly what this
pilot did. Even as you push the nose over, unless you pull the jet out of
blower, the push of the cans continues to make you feel nose up (even though
your accelerating airspeed and ADI are obviously indicating a rapid
descent). It's an inner ear thing. Look to the doc's for the technical
explanations.

This guy and his RIO went into the clouds extremely nose up and came out
extremely nose down crashing into a suburban neighborhood and killing
themselves and at least one person on the ground--again IIRC.

By the way, the act of stopping at a civilian field for gas is not, in
itself, wrong to do. Its legality is largely determined by current security
concerns and the rules set forth by whichever admirals (CNAF/CNAL/CNAP),
Commodores, and CO's are running the show at the time.

--Woody

Old February 24th 04, 04:44 PM
Elmshoot

I do know I've got time in the A-6 he has on his stick there.

--Woody

Woody,
Do you know the Buno on this bird?
Sparky
Old February 25th 04, 06:17 AM
WaltBJ

Hunh. If an IFR-rated pilot can't fly a near-vertical climb on the
gauges how did he ever pass an instrument check including unusual
position recoveries? I think of the impromptu night dive bombing in
SEA, doing SEAD for the AC130s - no visible horizon, especially during
the 'burn off the fields' period with smoke and haze all over. That
'somatographic' illusion does explain a few F101 pitchups out of
vertical climbs, though. If you want to really experience something
wild, try a 450 KIAS afterburner climb on the wing of a 104 on an
active air scramble at 0-dark thirty!
Walt BJ