Temporary waypoints in Garmin 430/530

Old October 16th 10, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark

Default Temporary waypoints in Garmin 430/530

On Oct 15, 9:29*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Is there a way to set up temporary waypoints in a Garmin 430/530 that are used
only during a single flight, without having to create user waypoints? *I can't
find anything in the manual that describes such a thing.

Install:
http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

and upload from Garmin's "Mapsource".

--
Mark
Old October 16th 10, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Frank Stutzman[_3_]

In rec.aviation.piloting Mark wrote:
On Oct 15, 9:29?pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Is there a way to set up temporary waypoints in a Garmin 430/530 that are used
only during a single flight, without having to create user waypoints? ?I can't
find anything in the manual that describes such a thing.

Install:
http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

and upload from Garmin's "Mapsource".

That might work for the majority of Garmin handheld devices, but it won't
work for their panel mounted equipment like the 430/530.

The only way that these units will accept waypoint information as input
is when they they are talking to another simular unit and are in 'cross-fill'
mode. I'm not sure, but this may be a legal requreiment of their use in an
IFR environment (TSO 129?)

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old October 16th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark

On Oct 16, 10:45*am, Frank Stutzman wrote:
[...]

While that may be, it was my understanding that he
is simply doing all this from a desktop computer and
his Garmin is a "virtual" one. If so, then my directions
may solve his need.

---
Mark

Old October 16th 10, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Mark writes:

While that may be, it was my understanding that he
is simply doing all this from a desktop computer and
his Garmin is a "virtual" one. If so, then my directions
may solve his need.

I am indeed using a simulator, but it works exactly like the real unit and I
want to do it in whatever way it is done with the real unit--if it's possible,
that is.

For the moment, I'm creating user waypoints as I enter a route, then deleting
them when I no longer need that route, but it's tedious.
Old October 16th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
Mark writes:

While that may be, it was my understanding that he
is simply doing all this from a desktop computer and
his Garmin is a "virtual" one. If so, then my directions
may solve his need.

I am indeed using a simulator, but it works exactly like the real unit and I
want to do it in whatever way it is done with the real unit--if it's possible,
that is.

For the moment, I'm creating user waypoints as I enter a route, then deleting
them when I no longer need that route, but it's tedious.

When I do it in a real GPS I don't bother to delete the user waypoints
unless I get close to the memory limit.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 26th 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Alpha Propellerhead

On Oct 16, 3:01*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

I am indeed using a simulator, but it works exactly like the real unit

No it doesn't. Close, but a real Garmin 430 is easier to set up. I'm
not sure about FSX. For reference, I'm using FS2004 and I teach on a
Frasca Tru-Flite with a Garmin 430, a Garmin 430 training system and a
C-172 with a G430. The flightsim Garmin is the most cumbersome to
program and some of the features don't work quite as well. If
everybody plays nice, I might post the lesson plan I'm working on for
teaching/learning the Garmin on the PC versus in the cockpit.

For the moment, I'm creating user waypoints as I enter a route, then deleting them when I no longer need that route, but it's tedious.

I think it's less tedious on the actual device. Legally, to use a GPS
overlay for an existing VOR or NDB approach, the waypoints must be in
the database and not manually entered.

Some fascinating trivia that the FAA and the AOPA have shared is that
since so many people are flying GPS on autopilot now, instead of being
spread out across the airways, airplanes are automatically flying
themselves right down the center of the airway which means it's only a
matter of time before somebody flying a route by GPS at 120kts gets
overtaken and chewed up by somebody flying the same at 220kts. Kinda
scary if you think about it.

In fact, I did a flight review for a pilot recently who had a GPS and
he spent so much head-down time in the cockpit with it that he'd lose
his situational awareness. Everytime he looked down, he'd lose 200
feet but he didn't look at his altimeter enough to realize how much
altitude he was losing. He might be banking 20 degrees, approaching
the yellow arc and losing 300 fpm or climbing up to 1000' AGL pattern
altitude after a cross country, but, dammit, he stayed RIGHT ON that
pink line.

A great Flight Sim exercise is to launch your cross country into IFR
by GPS and, at some point when you're enroute, turn the GPS off to
simulate a failure. If you lose situational awareness in actual IMC,
you'll be wanting diapers.

-C
CFI
Old October 27th 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Alpha Propellerhead writes:

No it doesn't. Close, but a real Garmin 430 is easier to set up.

Sounds like you're not using the real simulator, but just the built-in MSFS
simulation.

The real simulator was written by Garmin. As far as I can tell (since I have
the real manual) the simulated 430 and 530 work exactly like the real-world
manual describes, or at least I haven't found discrepancies between the manual
and the simulated 430/530. I asked about temporary waypoints because it's not
documented very well in the manual.

I'm not sure about FSX.

Nothing changes for FSX. It's the same simulator (if you are using Garmin's
simulator).

For reference, I'm using FS2004 and I teach on a
Frasca Tru-Flite with a Garmin 430, a Garmin 430 training system and a
C-172 with a G430. The flightsim Garmin is the most cumbersome to
program and some of the features don't work quite as well.

If you are still using the built-in GPS, I agree. I haven't looked at that in
years.

Head on over to Reality XP and get one that actually behaves like the genuine
article.

If everybody plays nice, I might post the lesson plan I'm working on for
teaching/learning the Garmin on the PC versus in the cockpit.

Don't waste your time on the built-in GPS. Use the real sim, and then there
won't be any differences worth documenting.

I think it's less tedious on the actual device. Legally, to use a GPS
overlay for an existing VOR or NDB approach, the waypoints must be in
the database and not manually entered.

I use my own waypoints only for VFR (and to compensate for the lack of
database updates with the simulated 430/530--occasionally a waypoint will move
or a new one will appear).

Some fascinating trivia that the FAA and the AOPA have shared is that
since so many people are flying GPS on autopilot now, instead of being
spread out across the airways, airplanes are automatically flying
themselves right down the center of the airway which means it's only a
matter of time before somebody flying a route by GPS at 120kts gets
overtaken and chewed up by somebody flying the same at 220kts. Kinda
scary if you think about it.

Yes, I've been worrying about that for quite some time. Greater accuracy
hugely increases the chance of collisions, especially if the increase in
accuracy is not accompanied by collision-avoidance technologies like TCAS.

In fact, I did a flight review for a pilot recently who had a GPS and
he spent so much head-down time in the cockpit with it that he'd lose
his situational awareness. Everytime he looked down, he'd lose 200
feet but he didn't look at his altimeter enough to realize how much
altitude he was losing. He might be banking 20 degrees, approaching
the yellow arc and losing 300 fpm or climbing up to 1000' AGL pattern
altitude after a cross country, but, dammit, he stayed RIGHT ON that
pink line.

Yet another problem of GPS. Many real-life pilots seem to be way too dependent
on GPS, and since they believe they know everything, they are unwilling to
hear about the dangers of this. Sim pilots make the same mistakes, but they
don't die from them.

A great Flight Sim exercise is to launch your cross country into IFR
by GPS and, at some point when you're enroute, turn the GPS off to
simulate a failure. If you lose situational awareness in actual IMC,
you'll be wanting diapers.

Agreed. Since I am wary of GPS, I like to practice using various forms of
navigation, from pilotage to flight management systems. The GPS never fails in
the sim, of course (unless you want it to), but if it did, I'd be able to find
my way home. I try to keep a few VORs tuned if I can.

A somewhat riskier undertaking that I occasionally chance in the sim is using
the TAWS/GPWS to help remain safe during nighttime VFR. I don't know if I'd
trust the database in real life, but in the sim the database comes directly
from the sim's own terrain database, so it's always 100% accurate. Even then,
mistakes can be made.
Old October 27th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mike Ash

In article
,
Alpha Propellerhead wrote:

In fact, I did a flight review for a pilot recently who had a GPS and
he spent so much head-down time in the cockpit with it that he'd lose
his situational awareness. Everytime he looked down, he'd lose 200
feet but he didn't look at his altimeter enough to realize how much
altitude he was losing. He might be banking 20 degrees, approaching
the yellow arc and losing 300 fpm or climbing up to 1000' AGL pattern
altitude after a cross country, but, dammit, he stayed RIGHT ON that
pink line.

Yikes. I hope you got him straightened out. Assuming you did, how did he
react to the idea that this behavior might not be entirely desirable?

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old October 27th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Alpha Propellerhead

On Oct 26, 5:41*pm, Mike Ash wrote:

He might be banking 20 degrees, approaching
the yellow arc and losing 300 fpm or climbing up to 1000' AGL pattern
altitude after a cross country, but, dammit, he stayed RIGHT ON that
pink line.

Yikes. I hope you got him straightened out. Assuming you did, how did he
react to the idea that this behavior might not be entirely desirable?

Politely. That's always nice. I'm pretty sure he's aware of it now. He
just needed somebody to grind down the rust and identify weaknesses
without helping him. He never flies alone; always has another pilot
with him anywhere he goes and doesn't take passengers, so, he won't
get in too much trouble.