Gyrocopter VHF antenna length

Old August 16th 05, 01:43 PM
Lew

Default Gyrocopter VHF antenna length

I'm setting up an antenna to fit under the keel of an open-frame
two-place gyro. The antenna will extend down underneath the keel from
a point about a foot forward of the main gear (made of spring
aluminum).

The only thing that will approach being a ground plane will be the 2x2"
keel forward and aft of the antenna mount and whatever effect the
spring aluminum gear has.

I know aircraft band VHF antennas need about 22", but where can I find
out the exact length that would best suit the freqs I use the most --
123.05 and 122.8?

I have also read that the thickness of the antenna has an effect on the
width of the band covered, but I don't know where to dig that info up
either. I'm using a stainless steel whip that is about 5/32" at the
base tapering to 1/8" at the tip.

Two other questions: Does having a small metal ball at the tip of the
antenna have any effect? Does bending back the last 6" of the antenna
about 45 degrees have any effect?

This antenna will be driven by a Sporty's handheld navcom with a BNC
connector at the radio.

Thanks for any info.

Old August 16th 05, 03:06 PM
bowman

Lew wrote:

I know aircraft band VHF antennas need about 22", but where can I find
out the exact length that would best suit the freqs I use the most --
123.05 and 122.8?

http://bfn.org/~bn589/antenna.html

Don't get too obsessive with it. You can borrow a SWR meter and tinker with
the length, but you probably will not notice any difference.

Old August 18th 05, 01:52 PM
COLIN LAMB

Generally, close is good enough. Range will decrease slightly if the
antenna is not ideal, but that is about all.

The ground plane is what you have and should be ok. The whips are used over
the entire range and there is little to be gained by cutting it for an exact
frequency. The ball on the top is ignored.

You do not need to be a rocket scientist to install an aircraft antenna.

The biggest issue is the connection of both ends of the coax. I have seen
some very poor work by otherwise excellent mechanics.

Colin

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
antenna length Ken Home Built 4 March 31st 05 05:25 AM
ELT antenna -- Pitts Al MacDonald Home Built 0 July 15th 04 03:27 PM
Ext antenna connection for handheld radio Ray Andraka Owning 7 March 5th 04 01:10 PM
comm's RX antenna acepilot Home Built 5 March 3rd 04 05:34 PM