cobra trailer brake lever gas strut failure?

Old March 31st 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_1_]

Default cobra trailer brake lever gas strut failure?

It appears that the gas strut on the brake lever of my cobra trailer
has failed. Today I noticed the lower end was no longer connected
(apparently the bottom pin detached from the fixed connection point),
and it was just hanging loose by the top connection. In addition, the
strut seems jammed in the extended postion. It rotates ok (with a
little resistance) but won't collapse any, even with a *lot* of
pressure.

Any advice for repair/replacement? Is this a cobra-only part, or will
any gas strut of the same length and throw do the job? Is the cobra
part available at finite cost?

TIA,

Frank (TA)
Old March 31st 09, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Frank" wrote in message
It appears that the gas strut on the brake lever of my cobra trailer
has failed. Today I noticed the lower end was no longer connected
(apparently the bottom pin detached from the fixed connection point),
and it was just hanging loose by the top connection. In addition, the
strut seems jammed in the extended postion. It rotates ok (with a
little resistance) but won't collapse any, even with a *lot* of
pressure.

Any advice for repair/replacement? Is this a cobra-only part, or will
any gas strut of the same length and throw do the job? Is the cobra
part available at finite cost?

TIA,

Frank (TA)

If the gas strut has not been bent, it may still be okay. Are you trying to
compress the strut by installing it back on the fixed pin? Or just by hand?
Depending on the strut, some require a substantial amount of pressure to
compress - - more than you can do by hand just using your body weight. With
the mechanical advantage afforded by the broken mount, it may compress?

bumper
zz

Old March 31st 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_1_]

On Mar 31, 12:04*am, "bumper" wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

I was just trying to compress it by hand, using a screwdriver through
the mounting hole as a handle. The problem with trying to use the
original arrangement to compress the strut is that its fully extended
length is too long for the original mounting hole ;-(

I emailed Cobra, and they are of the opinion that I need to replace
the entire handle - bummer

Frank (TA)
Old March 31st 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 30, 5:38*pm, Frank wrote:
*Today I noticed the lower end was no longer connected
(apparently the bottom pin detached from the fixed connection point),
and it was just hanging loose by the top connection. *

Thanks for the tip. I'll inspect mine before I tow again.

I already had the roll pin fall out of the tongue jack handle which
allowed the inside of the jack to drop causing the wheel to self
destruct on Cedar City main street a few years ago.

Any roll pins should be checked and replaced with cotter pins if they
are loose. The Ace Hardware store in Parowan has an amazing stock of
hardware for such a small town.

Any other tips on bits that fall off Cobra trailers?

Andy
Old March 31st 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Mar 31, 9:32*am, Andy wrote:
I already had the roll pin fall out of the tongue jack handle which
allowed the inside of the jack to drop causing the wheel to self
destruct on Cedar City main street a few years ago.

Any other tips on bits that fall off Cobra trailers?

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS remove the tongue wheel assembly before towing
the trailer. Saves $$ and frustration.

-Tom
Old March 31st 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Andy" wrote in message
I already had the roll pin fall out of the tongue jack handle which
allowed the inside of the jack to drop causing the wheel to self
destruct on Cedar City main street a few years ago.

Any roll pins should be checked and replaced with cotter pins if they
are loose. The Ace Hardware store in Parowan has an amazing stock of
hardware for such a small town.

Any other tips on bits that fall off Cobra trailers?

Andy

Andy,

I always remove the jack and store it in the front of the trailer for
travel. Not having the wheel hanging down gives a wee bit more clearance,
but the main reason to do this is to avoid distributing the wheel over
lengthy stretches of roadway.

bumper

Old March 31st 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 31, 12:48*pm, 5Z wrote:
On Mar 31, 9:32*am, Andy wrote:

I already had the roll pin fall out of the tongue jack handle which
allowed the inside of the jack to drop causing the wheel to self
destruct on Cedar City main street a few years ago.

Any other tips on bits that fall off Cobra trailers?

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS remove the tongue wheel assembly before towing
the trailer. *Saves $$ and frustration.

-Tom

Or, do what I did, and build a simple travel bracket that backs up the
clamp. I used a piece of steel bar stock bent into a "J" and bolted
to the handle assembly. It swings down under the wheel mounting plate
when the wheel is raised into the travel position. I always hated
the "muss and fuss" of taking off the wheel for travel.
Old March 31st 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 31, 9:51*am, "bumper" wrote:
I always remove the jack and store it in the front of the trailer for
travel. Not having the wheel hanging down gives a wee bit more clearance,
but the main reason to do this is to avoid distributing the wheel over
lengthy stretches of roadway.

That's way to much hassle for me. I don't get any wheel contact with
the new wheel which is smaller diameter than the one smeared over
Cedar City main street.

The jack body clamp works just fine as long as the pinch trap is
avoided.

Andy
Old March 31st 09, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_1_]

"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

After some experimentation, I found that I can compress the gas strut
using my trusty hydraulic floor jack, so I can now line up the lower
strut attachment hole with the hole on the tongue mounting bracket.
AlI have to do is figure out how to attach it without interfering with
the trailer jack handle's normal movement. Now I understand why Cobra
uses those stupid short pins - no room for a bolt & nut!

Frank (TA)

Older Cobra trailer brake oscillation Brian Bange[_2_] Soaring 9 March 10th 09 07:41 PM
Cobra Tongue Strut Removed Finally Brian Iten Soaring 0 December 4th 04 07:54 PM
Cobra Trailer Strut Help Please.... Brian Iten Soaring 4 November 30th 04 04:15 PM
Cobra Brake Parts or Axle WDM Soaring 1 October 11th 04 05:09 AM
Komet trailer strut John Shelton Soaring 5 November 15th 03 05:04 PM