Holding pattern reporting

Old July 2nd 05, 10:02 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message

Sorry about the delay in replying. The controller need not enter the time
or even think about it...timing the holding pattern is the pilot's
responsibility. If the controller's flow plan has another plane
approaching/descending to the same holding fix, all he needs is the report
of entering. I think the time report is just for the audio tape.

Well, since the tape has a time reference, there should be no need for the
pilot to report the time at all.

And, of course, there is no such thing as a VFR holding pattern.

There's one over Rush Lake, Wisconsin.

In my experience, if ATC wants me to kill time when VFR they will tell me
stay clear of the airspace that I wanted to enter and circle. Where and
how is up to me.

What if you're already in that airspace?

I remember one night way back when, when I was arriving at Reno for the
air races and it was after dark. Everybody was VFR, and ATC had us all
hanging around in the vicinity of the VOR with no other separation than
that we imposed on ourselves...lotta plane-to-plane chatter about
altitudes and general direction from the VOR.

Okay, but what if you were in Class B airspace?

Old July 3rd 05, 02:53 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 7/2/05 5:02 PM, in article
.net, "Steven P.
McNicoll" spewed:

And, of course, there is no such thing as a VFR holding pattern.

There's one over Rush Lake, Wisconsin.

How is a VFR rated pilot expected to know how to execute a holding pattern?
Or are they just expected to loiter in a general area centered above a
prominent landmark?
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old July 3rd 05, 05:06 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in
message news:BEECBD61.7D952%jeffbTAKEOUTALLCAPS@TOEMAILwiz ardofdraws.com...

How is a VFR rated pilot expected to know how to execute a holding
pattern?
Or are they just expected to loiter in a general area centered above a
prominent landmark?

See the AirVenture NOTAM, pages 8 and 9.

http://www.airventure.org/2005/flying/2005_NOTAM.pdf

Old July 4th 05, 10:57 AM
David Cartwright

"Yossarian" wrote in message
. 97.142...
At what point do you report holding to ATC? Upon reaching the holding
fix,
or when you are established in the hold and again crossing the fix? For
example, your direction of flight makes a parallel entry appropriate. You
cross the fix and turn outbound. Should you report then or wait till you
have turned and crossed the fix again? My instructor and I disagree on
this.

Never really thought about it, but when I think back to my IMC rating
training, the rule of thumb seemed to be to report as soon as we were
established in the holding pattern and confident of our position. This
generally meant a "beacon outbound" call the first time we crossed the
beacon whilst in the hold (i.e. not when we were passing over the beacon to
fly, say, a teardrop entry).

D.