BRAC and Fort Rucker

Old June 22nd 04, 03:10 PM
Kevin Brooks

"OXMORON1" wrote in message
John Hart wrote in response to:

In Germany the Army pilots used "roadmap navigation". They just got low
enough to read the name of the town posted on the outskirts.

the following:
Not only in Germany, but all over the world where I have been stationed

and
flew helicopters. Nothing like having a positive fix on your location.

Doesn't work well in the central US, especially the Dakotas, Nebraska,

Kansas,
Oklahoma. All the small towns are named "Co-Op"

"Hang a right at the big tombstone on top of the cemetary hill, your

target is
the warehouse one block north of the Dairy Queen. Exit the target area

over the
baseball diamond...."
honest to Gawd quote from a TacEval briefing, circa 1969, of course their

chart
and flight plan were outstanding

Didn't always work too well in Honduras, either. One of TWA's (Teenie Weenie
Airlines, as we referred to the four aircraft UH-1H detachment supporting
our operation in 87-88) missed the base camp on a flight back from what is
now known as Soto Cano and kept happily flying eastward. The FUSA aviation
advisor who was on-hand shook his head and told me if they had not run short
of fuel and had to set down, they'd have made the Nicaraguan border in about
another ten to twenty miles--and 1988 was not a good time for that kind of
thing to happen.

Brooks

oxmoron1
MFE