Plan our camping trip!

Old April 8th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Plan our camping trip!

Okay, so this year my son wants to do a flying father/son trip. (Every
summer I take each kid, just the two of us, somewhere. It's usually a
motorcycle camping trip, but my son tends to alternate between riding
and flying. Two years ago we flew into Gaston's Fly-In Resort down in
Arkansas, and had a great time fishing...)

So, where to go? It's got to have:

1. Camping on the field (or within walking distance.)
2. Something to do for a few days. Hiking, biking, canoeing, swimming,
water parks, roller coasters -- *something* to keep a 15-year-old boy
busy.
3. It can't be too far away, in case I've got to zip back for whatever
reason. 400 - 500 miles is probably the limit.

One thing he does NOT want to do is see another aviation museum. We've
fed him too much of that ice cream, since birth, and he's "museumed
out"...for now.

Canada is a place I've never flown before. Maybe heading north would
be fun, or maybe something along the shores of Lake Superior...?

So, any ideas/recommendations?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 8th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

So, any ideas/recommendations?

Marthas Vineyard, an island just south of Cape Cod (Massachusetts).

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old April 8th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've considered flying up to Houghton then hopping a seaplane for delivery
to http://www.nps.gov/isro/

There may be an airport on the MN side that can get you over to the Island
via boat also.

Looks like an interesting island.

Jim

oups.com...

Old April 8th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay, so this year my son wants to do a flying father/son trip. (Every
summer I take each kid, just the two of us, somewhere. It's usually a
motorcycle camping trip, but my son tends to alternate between riding
and flying. Two years ago we flew into Gaston's Fly-In Resort down in
Arkansas, and had a great time fishing...)

So, where to go? It's got to have:

\
I have no idea about airports, how close to camping, or any other thing, but
Sandusky Ohio has one of the very best roller coaster type parks in the
world. They always have a new coaster that is rated among the world's best,
in height, speed, or popularity.

In addition, you can catch a ferry ride out to the Lake Erie Islands, mainly
South Bass Island. Come to think of it, there is a airport on South Bass,
and Middle Bass Island. On Middle Bass Island there used to be a winery
that had live music on the weekends in the summer, and winery tours. It was
named Lionz's Winery, IIRC. There should be camping on South Bass, I think.
There is a monument to go up in, to get a great view. They rent bikes
there. It has a nice little town on it. You might be able to rent boats in
Sandusky, or on the island.

Gotta run. Contact me on back channels, if you want.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 8th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

3. It can't be too far away, in case I've got to zip back for whatever
reason. 400 - 500 miles is probably the limit.

oops - if you really insist on such a short limit, then Marthas Vineyard
is out. It would probably take your slow airplane all day to make the
trip. :-)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old April 8th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sandusky is a great place to get to the Cedar Point amusement park. The
Sandusky airport (SKY) can provide shuttle service to the amusement
park. Be aware that the crowds can be large in the middle of the
Summer, but there is nowhere else with this many good roller coasters.

Cedar Point amusement park:
http://www.cedarpoint.com/

Sandusky airport:
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSKY

Put in Bay airport:
http://www.putinbay.com/airport.htm

It is a very short flight out to the islands from Sandusky (probably 15
min in the air). It will be about 400nm from IOW to SKY assuming you
have to route around the South end of Chicago a bit.

Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/P3A848.html

Morgans wrote:
oups.com...

Old April 8th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article .com,
"Weeks" wrote:

It might be too far, but Johnson Creek, Idaho is absolutely awesome.
It's a 3000-ish foot grass strip tucked into a little mountain valley
with excellent facilities and on-site caretakers. Some weekends there
will be a dozen+ families there and someone always builds a big fire
and invites everyone down for hangar flying. You also have hiking,
biking (bring your own) and a great fly-in-only place to eat breakfast
just a few minutes away. The town of Yellow Pine is just a few miles
away and the campground has a vehicle you can use to get up there.

Last summer a bride and groom showed up in a T6 and got married there
while we were camping. That was the first time I'd seen a T6 make a
low pass with tin cans dragging behind the rear bumper.

I was going to suggest somenthing along these lines. Stop by Colorado
and see Jer for mountain flying course, then continue on to the Idaho
backcountry airstrips. (don't they have an annual cleanup coming around
soon?)

Sandusky... neighboring Kelly's Island is state park with
campground. Go look at the glacial grooves worn into the exposed rock.
Old April 8th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Take the Seaplane to Isle Royal National park and camp for a few days.
You will never forget it!

Old April 8th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Haven't done it myself so can't suggest anything, but I have always
gone (driven) to OBX, NC and love it there.

Whatever you do decide to do, please do a write up, always enjoyed
reading them.

The Monk