Powering Mio In The Cockpit

Old November 2nd 11, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Powering Mio In The Cockpit

While I had my panel apart the other day, I noticed the RJ jack in the back
of the 302. Since I had half a Cambridge cable, I plugged it in, powered
up, and measured voltage across the red and black leads - 5v!

I took a standard USB cable that fits the Mio, cut it, and measured the red
and black leads - again, 5v! Tomorrow, I'll connect the two cables together
and run the Mio of the ship's batteries.

Dan

Old November 2nd 11, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Dan,

That is a very bad idea! The RJ connector on the back of the 302 is for
connection to the 303 LCD display. The 303 is a low voltage device. Your
Mio is not. I'm not certain, but I fear you will fry something in the 302.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old November 2nd 11, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Power is NOT the same thing as voltage...

Paul, do you mean "the 303 display is a low POWER device" ?
Old November 2nd 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I meant to state below that the 303 is a low power device.

Thanks Dave.

Paul Remde

Old November 2nd 11, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

I bought a 12V-5V DC converter for $10, added a $2 heatsink and wired it into my power lines. Next, I cut off the end of a mini-USB cable and wired that to the converter.

Works great for me, no problems.

-John
Old November 2nd 11, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Allan[_4_]

I assume you are powering a Mio GPS - if not then ignore the
following. I'd suggest you wire in a 12v accessory socket then plug
the Mio charger cable into it. If you use a regular mini USB plug into
the Mio I think you will find the Mio will think it is a data cable
and stop any software that is running to try and make a data transfer.
Allan.
Old November 2nd 11, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZL

The 302 manual (pg 25) says pin 4 of the RJ11 is
"+5V = Device power – fuse-limited to 0.9 Amp"

pin 6 and 8 of the DB-9 connector are
"+5 volt power from 302 to connected device; fuse-limited to 0.9 Amp"

I've used the DB-9 connector on my 302 to provide +5V power to an iPAQ
for 7 years now. Cambridge and others have sold connectors for that
purpose for a long time. I also have a 303 hooked up to the RJ11 plug.

Manual is available at the Cambridge website.

-Dave

Old November 2nd 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I stand corrected.

Paul Remde

m...

Old November 2nd 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Why are my posts red (color, at least on my laptop)?

Thanks, Paul - I did not consider looking up the specs, which I will do.

Dave, I read in the 302 manual about the 0.9A internal fusing in the 302.

The cigarette lighter power cord that comes with the Mio is terminated with
a mini USB connector so there should be no power/data issues. The data
lines are not connected in this case.

I will try to find the power requirements of the Mio online. I opened it up
and it has a small (physically) battery so I suspect its power needs aren't
too big.

I could wire a 12v power cord into the main bus of the glider, but that's
large and there's not a lot of room inside the LAK's panel. Besides, simply
plugging in is so much easier!

I'll report back what (if anything) I find.

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

I stand corrected.

Paul Remde

m...

Old November 2nd 11, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well... All the Mio specs I could find are that it has a 750 mAH battery
which should last for 2.5 hours (and I know from experience that that is
about right). At 5 volts that would indicate a current draw of 288 mA.

I called Mio tech support and they confirmed that number so running the Mio
from a 900 mA port on the 302 should be no problem at all.

Thanks to Paul, for raising a red flag, and to Dave for describing his
setup.

"Dan Marotta" wrote in message
Why are my posts red (color, at least on my laptop)?

Thanks, Paul - I did not consider looking up the specs, which I will do.

Dave, I read in the 302 manual about the 0.9A internal fusing in the 302.

The cigarette lighter power cord that comes with the Mio is terminated
with a mini USB connector so there should be no power/data issues. The
data lines are not connected in this case.

I will try to find the power requirements of the Mio online. I opened it
up and it has a small (physically) battery so I suspect its power needs
aren't too big.

I could wire a 12v power cord into the main bus of the glider, but that's
large and there's not a lot of room inside the LAK's panel. Besides,
simply plugging in is so much easier!

I'll report back what (if anything) I find.

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

I stand corrected.

Paul Remde