Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century

Old September 3rd 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century

I was recently notified by the FAA that the Aviation Investment and
Reform Act for the 21st Century requires them to make my name, address,
and ratings available to the public unless I notify them in writing to
the contrary.

Anyone know what this is about?

Johan Larson

Old September 5th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Natalie

wrote:
I was recently notified by the FAA that the Aviation Investment and
Reform Act for the 21st Century requires them to make my name, address,
and ratings available to the public unless I notify them in writing to
the contrary.

Anyone know what this is about?

Johan Larson

A few years back, someone brought it to the official attention of the
government that the dissemination of the pilot database violated the
privacy act. After much disingenous bleating by commercial interests
(I lost all respect for John King after his stated opinion on the
matter), congress through the AIR-21 bill gave the FAA an excemption
that allowed them to restore public access as long as you could opt
out.

Unfortunately it took another 5 years or so of beating on Congress
and the FAA before they finally implemented that correctly. The
idiots in the FAA insisted (despite clear wording of the law) that
the only thing you could opt out of was your address being listed.
They still continued to post personally identifiable and sensitive
information such as your medical restrictions and status. However
a few months ago people noticed that the "Do Not Disseminate" flag
had finally been fixed to remove ALL INFO for those entries.
Old September 5th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Natalie

Frank Whiteley wrote:

All rated pilots are listed in the downloadable FAA database as a
matter of public record. So are owners, by aircraft code and n-number
and name. You are, that is, unless you opt to exclude your name and
ratings.

There is no way to opt out of the AIRCRAFT OWNERS database (but you
can relist your aircraft in the name of a US corporation).

The PILOT record can NOW be totally excluded. The FAA never did
"just name & ratings", up until a few months ago, asking to be excluded
just got your address deleted.
Old September 5th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Ron Natalie wrote:
Frank Whiteley wrote:

All rated pilots are listed in the downloadable FAA database as a
matter of public record. So are owners, by aircraft code and n-number
and name. You are, that is, unless you opt to exclude your name and
ratings.

There is no way to opt out of the AIRCRAFT OWNERS database (but you
can relist your aircraft in the name of a US corporation).

The PILOT record can NOW be totally excluded. The FAA never did
"just name & ratings", up until a few months ago, asking to be excluded
just got your address deleted.

Sorry for the generalization. Any idea if there are multiple listings
for co-owners?

Frank

Old September 5th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Natalie

Frank Whiteley wrote:

Sorry for the generalization. Any idea if there are multiple listings
for co-owners?

They all get listed together...Look up my plane (N5327K) you'll see
me and my wife listed. They still have her previous name because
despite several years and sending the FAA copies of the marriage
certificate, they still haven't fixed her entry on the plane (though
they did change her pilot record which we did at the same time)
go figure.