Katrina fall-out

Old September 7th 05, 03:59 PM
Jay Honeck

No, we're not both correct. Yes, it is possible to point to *some* good
things happening in virtually *any* era or circumstances (which is not to
agree with the specifics of your view on that, or the view of your
unnamed, unquoted "black celebrities").

I can't remember the name (which is why I didn't attribute the quote in the
first place) but I *believe* it was Wynton Marsalis, and I *think* he said
that about Harlem's "glory years" on NPR's "Fresh Air" with Terry Gross.

Or, it may have been a lead-in to a Terry Gross' question to Marsalis?

Or, it *may* have been a quote taken from the PBS mini-series about Harlem?

I know I heard it some where -- but don't quote me!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 7th 05, 04:01 PM
James Robinson

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

New Orleans survived for roughly three centuries. Yeah, maybe its
eventual destruction was inevitable, but frankly, the same could be
said of just about any city, if your timeframe is large enough.

True, but it has been brought to light that many contemporary N.O.
leaders knew -- and regarded as inevitable -- that their city was
living on borrowed time in the short-term. We're not talking geologic
time here; we're talking about in a single person's life-span.

For them to have known this, and not taken any discernible action, is
criminal.

Yesterday NPR interviewed the former city planner for N.O. (she was in
that capacity until 2000, I think), and she spoke extensively about
the levee system and its known weaknesses. Unfortunately, she also
admitted that the bureaucratic boondoggles (the levees were controlled
by an entirely separate government agency, outside the control of the
city) ultimately prevented the issue of levee strengthening from ever
being presented as an option to the voters.

In short, New Orleans government completely and utterly failed the
citizens of New Orleans. They never even brought the issue to a
vote, despite knowing the danger!

On the contrary. They understood that the levee system was part of the
overall Mississippi waterway system, under control of the Army Corps of
Engineers. You cannot separate the part in New Orleans from the rest,
as it all has to work together, particularly when many of the Corps
management schemes upriver have exacerbated the New Orleans problem.

When the budget for improving the levees was cut by the Feds, New
Orleans tried over and over again to get the money reinstated as a basic
safety measure for the city. Bringing the issue to a vote in the city
would have done nothing to free up the federal funds, which is where the
money had to come from.
Old September 7th 05, 04:39 PM
Doof

"Philip S." wrote in message
in article , Philip S. at
wrote on 9/6/05 7:28 PM:

in article
,
cjcampbell
at
wrote on 9/6/05 3:31 AM:

People who are not Americans may not know this, but federal troops are
actually prohibited from performing law enforcement duties.

Except when the president calls on them to do so. The first President
Bush
sent the Guard, the Army and the Marines into L.A. in 1992 during the
riots.
Every president has the power to do so.

Oh, and one more thing, and then I'll let the matter drop. The following
doesn't come from some liberal website--it comes from the White House:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0050827-1.html

"The President today [11 days ago] declared an emergency exists in the
State
of Louisiana and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local
response
efforts in the parishes located in the path of Hurricane Katrina beginning
on August 26, 2005, and continuing.

The President's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security,
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster
relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and
suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide
appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under
Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives, protect property and public
health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in
the
parishes of..."

snip list of parishes

"Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at
its
discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of
the emergency."

After the fact.

Read Article 4, Section 4, CotUS.

Old September 7th 05, 04:45 PM
sfb

It really depends upon how broadly you define "Law enforcement." Only
the National Guard with a specific declaration by the states can
exercise the police powers of arrest and detention.

The active duty troops direct traffic and do other things done by the
police that look and smell like law enforcement, but lack any criminal
justice power to enforce their orders.

"Doof" wrote in message

"Philip S." wrote in message
in article ,
cjcampbell
at
wrote on 9/6/05 3:31 AM:

People who are not Americans may not know this, but federal troops
are
actually prohibited from performing law enforcement duties.

Except when the president calls on them to do so. The first President
Bush
sent the Guard, the Army and the Marines into L.A. in 1992 during the
riots.
Every president has the power to do so.

Only upon request by the local officials.

Old September 7th 05, 04:46 PM
Doof

I'm just waiting for someone to use the "Broken Window" fallacy.

Old September 7th 05, 04:57 PM
Doof

Let's see. In the 1950's, there were hardly any black police,
firefighters, TV characters... let alone doctors, lawyers, judges,
justices, secretaries of state... It was legal, and widely practiced, to
refuse to hire any African Americans, or rent or sell housing to them, or
serve them in restaurants... In much of the nation, blacks were even
forbidden by law to use the public drinking fountains designated for
whites. So that was quite a "peak".

We all know that "stuff", so how about explaining the rampant pathologies
that began starting in the 1960's after they we're "freed"? Or don't they
teach THAT PART in schools? You DO know what pathologies I'm talking about,
don't you...being so "educated" and all...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Old September 7th 05, 05:40 PM
Matt Barrow

"James Robinson" wrote in message
. 97.142...

On the contrary. They understood that the levee system was part of the
overall Mississippi waterway system, under control of the Army Corps of
Engineers. You cannot separate the part in New Orleans from the rest,
as it all has to work together, particularly when many of the Corps
management schemes upriver have exacerbated the New Orleans problem.

So why did they (City of NO) have a separate administration for the levees?

Old September 7th 05, 05:45 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
No, we're not both correct. Yes, it is possible to point to *some* good
things happening in virtually *any* era or circumstances (which is not

agree with the specifics of your view on that, or the view of your
unnamed, unquoted "black celebrities").

I can't remember the name (which is why I didn't attribute the quote in

the
first place) but I *believe* it was Wynton Marsalis, and I *think* he said
that about Harlem's "glory years" on NPR's "Fresh Air" with Terry Gross.

According to Tom Sowell, Harlem was originally an upper class black
neighborhood that banned the Irish.

Old September 7th 05, 05:56 PM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

New Orleans survived for roughly three centuries. Yeah, maybe its eventual
destruction was inevitable, but frankly, the same could be said of just
about any city, if your timeframe is large enough.

True, but it has been brought to light that many contemporary N.O. leaders
knew -- and regarded as inevitable -- that their city was living on borrowed
time in the short-term. We're not talking geologic time here; we're talking
about in a single person's life-span.

The main problem is NO didn't follow their carefully thought out
disaster plan. They had a plan that they worked on very hard and for a
very long time. Chances are the plan would have broken down at some
point but they never gave it a chance. They never even started using
the plan. They just sat their with their thumb up their ass and blamed
the federal government. The mayor and the governor are 100% at fault.

Fall Photo Shoots Arnold Sten Piloting 7 October 8th 04 04:29 PM
Windsocks ,. Great fall special $ 15 for 1 or $ 25 for 2 GASSITT Aviation Marketplace 0 October 6th 04 05:12 AM
Tomcats gone by fall of 2006 Mike Weeks Naval Aviation 48 June 22nd 04 02:32 PM
NE fall foliage report Cub Driver Piloting 0 October 19th 03 12:25 PM
Fall Colors Flights! Jack Cunniff Piloting 2 October 15th 03 10:06 PM