Information for all users of Flarm, OEM FLARM supplier and Flarm PowerFlarm

Old March 4th 16, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Information for all users of Flarm, OEM FLARM supplier and Flarm PowerFlarm

On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 6:20:29 AM UTC-8, Alex wrote:
In other matters I believe IGC do not approve or disapprove, nor do they
specify.

The IGC ANDS committee disapproves of the current FLARM position. I am not sure if this has yet evolved to be the official IGC position on the topic.

http://www.fai.org/downloads/igc/IGC...lenary_AX6_2_4

Personally, I don't share the opinion of the ANDS committee

I would say the ANDS committee questions the Flarm position. They do not offer any alternative, nor do they approve of the alternatives offered by others.
Old March 4th 16, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Cue the singing Vikings!
Jim

Old March 4th 16, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

Hi -- can you please provide an exact citation for this? --bob

"The creator of the encryption code XXTEA says, and it is also reported by other cryptanalysts (see the articles by John Kelsey, Bruce Schneier, and David Wagner from 2002 to 2004), that exist certain combinations of DATA and KEYS in the encryption code XXTEA that, for some coding schemes, are producing results that WILL NOT BE PROPERLY decrypted also using THE CORRECT KEY. "

Old March 8th 16, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In five years time we're all going to be fitting ADS-B anyway. Flarm could have been at the forefront of that movement, which would have leveraged their valuable IP relating to flight path prediction, but they appear to have squandered the opportunity by instead fighting a rearguard action to protect their RF protocol.

My subjective impression of the latest Flarm software version is that it is not as reliable as it was, and range is reduced. But I have no hard data to confirm that.
Old March 10th 16, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stu

Yesterday two of us flew after updating our Flarms with the latest software.. We were careful to leave the Config files as they were when we flew last year. The Flarm range analyzer showed the range of the latest software to be only 3 km while the range of our flights last year were 6 km. Have others experienced this same result? If so, is there a fix to get the range back to were it was under the previous software?

Stu Larimore
2Z
Old March 11th 16, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]

On 10/03/2016 06:25, Stu wrote:
Yesterday two of us flew after updating our Flarms with the latest software.
We were careful to leave the Config files as they were when we flew

last year.
The Flarm range analyzer showed the range of the latest software to be

only 3 km
while the range of our flights last year were 6 km. Have others

experienced this
same result? If so, is there a fix to get the range back to were it

was under the
previous software?

Stu Larimore
2Z

The Flarm config doc available here
http://flarm.com/wp-content/uploads/...ation-1.03.pdf

Describes the general setting:

RANGE: Sets maximum horizontal distance of received aircraft

I don't know if the config setting for RANGE also applies to Flarm
contact data recorded in the IGC trace. The default for RANGE if you
don't set it is 3Km for Classic Flarm. This limits the range of any
target on external displays.

The IGC trace from a flarm will have recorded the setting for this
parameter, look for something like
LFLA13502607RANGE 3000

--

Nick Hill
Old March 11th 16, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Friday, 11 March 2016 12:53:11 UTC+2, Nick Hill wrote:
The default for RANGE if you
don't set it is 3Km for Classic Flarm. This limits the range of any
target on external displays.

I don't see 3km mentioned in that FLARM specification.
It specifies that the default horizontal range is 25500 meters for classic FLARM and 65535 meters for PowerFLARM.
Default vertical range is 500 meters for all FLARM device types.
Old March 11th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]

On 11/03/2016 11:19, Surge wrote:
On Friday, 11 March 2016 12:53:11 UTC+2, Nick Hill wrote:
The default for RANGE if you
don't set it is 3Km for Classic Flarm. This limits the range of any
target on external displays.

I don't see 3km mentioned in that FLARM specification.
It specifies that the default horizontal range is 25500 meters for classic FLARM and 65535 meters for PowerFLARM.

The've updated it! I had version 1.02 on my PC whch is what I looked at
but sent the link to the website one which is v 1.03.

Should have read the version control on page one which says in V1.03
"Changed Classic FLARM default range"

Worth checking that the IGC file reflects the RANGE value as in the doc.

--

Nick Hill
Old March 12th 16, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Thanks Nick,
I didn't realize the range data was saved in the IGC file.
I just checked Stuart's file, his is set to 20000.
So something else must have changed.
I looked at some of his previous files and the range tool show ranged of 5-6km. This years flight with the new firmware only shows about 3km on the range tool. We were very carefull not to change the configuration only updated the firmware.

Brian
V6

Flarm IGC files on non-IGC certified Flarm? Movses Soaring 21 March 16th 15 09:59 PM
PowerFLARM Core secondary FLARM antenna [email protected] Soaring 27 October 7th 14 01:53 PM
Car Flarm [email protected] Soaring 18 February 8th 14 02:31 AM
PowerFLARM News Updates on my FLARM web page Paul Remde Soaring 10 March 6th 13 04:50 AM
Flarm v5 Kevin Neave[_2_] Soaring 5 February 23rd 11 01:35 PM