Chicken Cannon Lovers

Old January 18th 04, 08:53 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Default Chicken Cannon Lovers

Given the number of times the infamous "chicken cannon" has come
up in these fora, your attention is directed to this [Sunday]
evening's episode of "Mythbusters" on the Discovery cable channel
[8:00 PM ET, repeated at 11:00 PM ET for the left coast] in which
the intrepid Mythbusters team takes on the chicken cannon.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old January 18th 04, 11:01 PM
Jim Carriere

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message
Given the number of times the infamous "chicken cannon" has come
up in these fora, your attention is directed to this [Sunday]
evening's episode of "Mythbusters" on the Discovery cable channel
[8:00 PM ET, repeated at 11:00 PM ET for the left coast] in which
the intrepid Mythbusters team takes on the chicken cannon.

Speaking of chickens, aircraft, and engines, this reminds me of a story a
guy I used to work with told me. Not sure if it is true (it probably
isn't), but damn funny nonetheless-

During bird ingestion tests on some jet engine, the was an insufficient
number of "thawed" baby chickens needed to simulate a flock of small birds.
So somebody took out another case from the freezer, left it out to thaw, and
meanwhile everybody went to lunch. Later on, once the chicks had thawed,
the test was ran- birds shot in the running engine, the engine suffered
severe damage and miserably failed the test. After the high speed film of
the intake view was developed, some light was shed on the matter... a stray
cat somehow found it's way into the breech of the chicken cannon. This
probably happened while it was left unattended and everyone was at lunch.
The cat must have been either celebrating its good fortune to find a free
lunch, or sleeping it off the feast when the test was started up... followed
by noise, confusion, a sharp acceleration, blast of air, and then nothing.

I have a mental picture of a spread eagled cat inches in front of a
compressor face.

PS- I am a dog person.

Old January 18th 04, 11:29 PM
John Lansford

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

Given the number of times the infamous "chicken cannon" has come
up in these fora, your attention is directed to this [Sunday]
evening's episode of "Mythbusters" on the Discovery cable channel
[8:00 PM ET, repeated at 11:00 PM ET for the left coast] in which
the intrepid Mythbusters team takes on the chicken cannon.

I worked for a time at Arnold Air Force Station, Tennessee, where the
USAF tests airframes, rockets and missiles in both scale and full size
test cells. One of the tests involved firing chickens into windshields
of aircraft at simulated flight speeds.

The chicken gun exists. I've seen it in operation in fact.

John Lansford
--
The unofficial I-26 Construction Webpage:
http://users.vnet.net/lansford/a10/
Old January 18th 04, 11:43 PM
Thomas Schoene

John Lansford wrote:

The chicken gun exists. I've seen it in operation in fact.

I'm guessing the myth in qustion is about the frozen vs non-frozen
chickens.* It will be interesting to see what the Mythbusters guys do with
it.

* I notice someone else just posted a variation on the now-widespread "they
used a frozen bird by mistake" story, now with miniature birds and jet
engines instead of turkey and windscreens. I suspect it's just as
apocryphal as the others, but you never know.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old January 19th 04, 01:55 AM
Fred J. McCall

John Lansford wrote:

:The chicken gun exists. I've seen it in operation in fact.

They also have at least one at Lockheed Fort Worth (for testing
aircraft canopies).

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney
Old January 19th 04, 03:09 AM
John Lansford

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:

John Lansford wrote:

The chicken gun exists. I've seen it in operation in fact.

I'm guessing the myth in qustion is about the frozen vs non-frozen
chickens.* It will be interesting to see what the Mythbusters guys do with
it.

* I notice someone else just posted a variation on the now-widespread "they
used a frozen bird by mistake" story, now with miniature birds and jet
engines instead of turkey and windscreens. I suspect it's just as
apocryphal as the others, but you never know.

Actually, according to my dad, who also worked at Arnold, the
frozen/unfrozen issue did take place. The need for a bird to be fired
by the gun was determined, and someone was sent out to get one. He
came back with the required payload, but it was a frozen, not fresh,
chicken. For some reason the decision was made to use it immediately,
with the expected results.

John Lansford
Old January 19th 04, 03:10 AM
John Lansford

Fred J. McCall wrote:

John Lansford wrote:

:The chicken gun exists. I've seen it in operation in fact.

They also have at least one at Lockheed Fort Worth (for testing
aircraft canopies).

The one I saw was portable and was installed in the transonic wind
tunnels when they were testing full scale windshields and how they
reacted to bird impacts at high speeds.

John Lansford
Old January 19th 04, 06:22 AM
Jim E

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
link.net...
John Lansford wrote:

The chicken gun exists. I've seen it in operation in fact.

I'm guessing the myth in qustion is about the frozen vs non-frozen
chickens.* It will be interesting to see what the Mythbusters guys do

with
it.

Watched the program.
Their conclusion, frozen or thawed makes no difference to impact.
Strictly a function of mass, velocity, and time of deceleration.

Jim E

Old January 19th 04, 06:48 AM
Jim Herring

They're results were that a frozen chicken did no more damage than a
room temperature chicken. They assumed a lot about impact damage with
faulty data and testing.

--
Jim

carry on

chicken thief Del Rawlins Home Built 3 April 3rd 04 03:20 AM
Britain Reveals Secret Weapon - Chicken Powered Nuclear Bomb ! Ian Military Aviation 0 April 2nd 04 03:18 PM
WWII 20mm cannon in planes zxcv Military Aviation 13 March 10th 04 10:52 AM
Future military fighters and guns - yes or no ? championsleeper Military Aviation 77 March 3rd 04 04:11 AM
Development of British cannon ammuniation during WW2 Jukka O. Kauppinen Military Aviation 14 December 29th 03 09:25 AM