tailwheel steering

Old January 31st 04, 03:27 PM
Marvin Barnard

Default tailwheel steering

I have trouble steering my homebuilt, which is simular of PA-20 and
suspect the steering springs are weak. Of coarse excessive tension would
be too much stress on the rudder steering yoke. Does anyone know the
correct spring rate for the steering springs on a PA-20?

Old January 31st 04, 04:11 PM
Ed Wischmeyer

I have trouble steering my homebuilt, which is simular of PA-20 and
suspect the steering springs are weak. Of coarse excessive tension would
be too much stress on the rudder steering yoke. Does anyone know the
correct spring rate for the steering springs on a PA-20?

Don't forget to check your landing gear alignment. It should be toed
*out* very slightly. See deja for past discussions on this topic. You
could also check the caster angle on the tailwheel, in addition to the
steering springs.

Ed Wischmeyer
Old January 31st 04, 06:44 PM
Michael Pilla

"Ed Wischmeyer" wrote in message
I have trouble steering my homebuilt, which is simular of PA-20 and
suspect the steering springs are weak. Of coarse excessive tension would
be too much stress on the rudder steering yoke. Does anyone know the
correct spring rate for the steering springs on a PA-20?

Don't forget to check your landing gear alignment. It should be toed
*out* very slightly. See deja for past discussions on this topic. You
could also check the caster angle on the tailwheel, in addition to the
steering springs.

Ed Wischmeyer

Also, don't forget to check for tailwheel alignment. Sometimes, corrosion
in the rear fuselage can cause a bend that is reflected in a mis-aligned
tailwheel and will reflect itself in hard steering (pre-flighted a Champ
once where moving the rear of the fuse side-to-side to check tailwheel
breakout tension showed more fuse movement than tailwheel movement).

I don't know if the PA-20 is subject to such a problem, but if the other
excellent suggestions don't pan out, check this. Heck, for safety's sake,
check it anyhow. I saw a FlyBaby with a similar problem - water had been
trapped in the rear and the wood had rotted - same symptom, very im-precise
steering, lots of give in the fuse.

Michael Pilla

Old January 31st 04, 07:01 PM
Ron Webb

Marvin

My PA-20 has springs of different sizes on each side. A big stout one on one
side and a lighter one on the other. I'm told that it is to eliminate the
resonance associated with shimmy.

Old January 31st 04, 08:35 PM
Cy Galley

I believe the different sized (rate) steering springs was an attempt by
Maule to stop shimmy.

If the pivot is properly lubricated, then the pivot angle is the problem.
It must be at right angles to the ground under load. The force necessary to
make the tailwheel turn is much larger if the top of the pivot points toward
the front.
For planes that started out o.k., the spring to the fuselage is probably
bent and needs replacement or re-arching. Springs sag with old age.

If it looks good without a load, then the tailwheel attachment spring is too
soft and deflects to much when you climb aboard. This happens many times
when a leaf from the spring is removed in a well intentioned attempt to make
the plane ride better.

So check the angle with a normal passenger and fuel load. Then if the top of
the pivot points forward, you have two options. New complete spring set or
re-arch the old.
--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh
Editor, EAA Safety Programs

Always looking for articles for the Experimenter soon to be Sport Pilot

Old January 31st 04, 11:37 PM
Marvin Barnard

I'm using a 6" Maule which I wonder if it may be too small? Tail
weight is 115 Lbs. The wheel kingpost angle is vertical. The
steering springs are about 30 Lbs. tension. ( It's the Aircraft in Dec.
"Experimenter" ) ....Staggerwing version of PA-20,
I noticed most PA-20's use an 8" Scott...... are there any other
folks using Maule successfully on PA-20?

Old February 1st 04, 09:30 PM
L.D.

Ron Webb wrote:

Marvin

My PA-20 has springs of different sizes on each side. A big stout one on one
side and a lighter one on the other. I'm told that it is to eliminate the
resonance associated with shimmy.

"Marvin Barnard" wrote in message

I have trouble steering my homebuilt, which is simular of PA-20 and
suspect the steering springs are weak. Of coarse excessive tension would
be too much stress on the rudder steering yoke. Does anyone know the
correct spring rate for the steering springs on a PA-20?

Springs of difference size make no since. the different tension is gona
have that tailwheel not be lined up with the direction of the travel of
the airplane, causing stress on it when it touches down. If it is a
break over tailwheel, make sure the brake over is working right. If you
have a tailwheel lock, make sure that is working right. If you have
neither, well------good luck

Tailwheel question Steve B Aerobatics 4 January 30th 04 03:35 AM
Advice on flying Pitts with Haigh Locking Tailwheel Ditch Home Built 19 January 4th 04 10:18 PM
homebuilt tailwheel Del Rawlins Home Built 7 November 9th 03 02:34 AM