One step closer to owning an Arrow

Old March 6th 05, 05:13 PM
jsmith

"Why a duck?"

(J#1 wrote)
...You do float, don't you? Hehehe...
"Face it, you can't Torquemada nuthin'!"

Montblack wrote:
A: Like a duck - oops, wrong movie.
B: "Pull"

Old March 6th 05, 07:24 PM
Jay Beckman

"Montblack" wrote in message
(J#1 wrote)
...You do float, don't you? Hehehe...

"Face it, you can't Torquemada nuthin'!"

A: Like a duck - oops, wrong movie.

B: "Pull"

Count de Montblack

"It's good to be the King..."

Old March 6th 05, 07:31 PM
Jay Beckman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I'd be responsible for any part EXCEPT the nut that holds the yoke!!

Gee, now I read that statement to mean that Jay B. was responsible for
everything except that little 5/8" nut under the plastic nameplate.

You know...the nut that holds (on) the yoke?

That's a pretty cheap part, Jack. I'd take him up on this offer.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

No, no, no...

Not the nut that holds ON the yoke...

It's the nut that holds on *TO* the yoke that I won't be responsible for...

;OP

Jay B
(Charter Member: Federal Pilot Relocation Program)

Old March 6th 05, 11:35 PM
Jon Kraus

You mean "when something goes wrong" correct? I haven't heard any new
owners (present company included) that didn't have squawks in their new
baby... Isn't that right Jay H?

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Mooney 201 4443H

Jay Honeck wrote:
What are the spec numbers you're looking at in the Arrow?
4 + fuel?

Um...have you seen the back seat in a '70 Arrow? Vertically challenged
folks only in the back :-)

Suffice it to say that no one over 5' 9" is going to fit in back -- at least
not with their blood circulation intact.

Unless, of course, someone Mary's size (or smaller) is flying. Then, the
back seats are downright spacious!

Avionics?

Standard. Mostly King. Analog radios, no GPS (yet), Loran (whoppee),
Radar altimiter (sort of cool, wouldn't pay to put one in)

Hey, that radar altimeter is just plain slick. I've never seen one in
anything smaller than a King Air before!

I know. I know. Don't want to jinx the sale. g

Nah, I figure if Jay has already blessed the plane so I'm good to
go...um...provided there's none of that nasty corrosion stuff in the
wings, especially the spar caps.

Oh, geez. NOW you've done it.

If ANYTHING goes wrong with that plane for the next 36 months, it's going to
be "That jerk Jay!" every time I turn around here...

;-)

Old March 7th 05, 04:28 AM
Jay Honeck

You mean "when something goes wrong" correct? I haven't heard any new
owners (present company included) that didn't have squawks in their new
baby... Isn't that right Jay H?

Well, we just had a guest this past weekend who was on his way back from
Vero Beach with a brand, new Piper Archer.

Glass cockpit and everything.

HE had no complaints -- yet.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 05, 08:03 AM
Scott Skylane

Jay Honeck wrote:
/snip/
Well, we just had a guest this past weekend who was on his way back from
Vero Beach with a brand, new Piper Archer.

Glass cockpit and everything.

HE had no complaints -- yet.

;-)

Heh. Back in '94, the owner of Land's End store, and his son, showed up
in their brand new, 40 hours on the tach, Piper Super Cub. The cowl was
chaffing on the exhaust, there was a small oil leak, and a few other
problems that anyone who has worked on Cubs for the last 50 years would
be familiar with.

A few years later, a guy shows up in a brand new Beech Baron 58. As
we're admiring the aircraft, chatting with the owner, I notice that
there is a relief tube in the front. He says "Heck, that's about the
only thing on this piece of crap that *hasn't* broken yet!

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054
Old March 9th 05, 03:55 AM
jsmith

So, how was the ride he gave you?
Did you drool all over the interior while staring at the video screens?

Old March 9th 05, 03:13 PM
Mark Hansen

On 3/6/2005 20:28, Jay Honeck wrote:

You mean "when something goes wrong" correct? I haven't heard any new
owners (present company included) that didn't have squawks in their new
baby... Isn't that right Jay H?

Well, we just had a guest this past weekend who was on his way back from
Vero Beach with a brand, new Piper Archer.

Glass cockpit and everything.

HE had no complaints -- yet.

;-)

Heh heh heh. I have a really nice 1995 Honda Goldwing. I love this
bike. My friend bought a 2002 model, and has tried to get me to
ride it. I've refused on the grounds that I don't want my beautiful
bike to feel "old" by comparison ;-)

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL
Sacramento, CA
Old March 9th 05, 05:27 PM
Robert M. Gary

Why would anyone buy an Arrow. Its just a slower version of a Mooney.
The Mooney has the same engine, more reliable landing gear, and 20
knots faster for comparible models (same year, comparisons). I've had
both and find the Mooney 10 times better. The cabin size is really the
same. Both the Mooney and Arrow started out with short bodies in the
back and got longer about the same time. The cabin width is really the
same (I've measured side to side). Of course the Mooney is also much
sexier.

-Robert

Old March 9th 05, 09:23 PM

Robert M. Gary wrote:
: Why would anyone buy an Arrow. Its just a slower version of a Mooney.
: The Mooney has the same engine, more reliable landing gear, and 20
: knots faster for comparible models (same year, comparisons). I've had
: both and find the Mooney 10 times better. The cabin size is really the
: same. Both the Mooney and Arrow started out with short bodies in the
: back and got longer about the same time. The cabin width is really the
: same (I've measured side to side). Of course the Mooney is also much
: sexier.

I might argue Chevy|Ford vs. Toyota. The Piper is more "normal," and thus has
simpler, more available, and I daresay cheaper parts. The Mooney is a better
engineered plane (like a Cessna is), so it performs better and isn't as overbuilt. As
such, it probably breaks a bit more often and is more expensive to fix.

The only major breakdown in this analogy that I can see is Toyota != sexy....

* Cory Papenfuss *