Cross country record: personal shortest flight

Old July 1st 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

Default Cross country record: personal shortest flight

On the subject of cross country records, I have a new personal best today,
for shortest cross country flight. I landed out a grand total of 4.7 miles
from the airport today. Statute miles. The sky sure looked beautiful but
the lift was deceptively hard to work. I found a wonderful field, larger
and in many places smoother than the home airport, which turned out to be
inside a locked water treatment facility. Much governmental hilarity
ensued, finally resulting in a successful retrieve.

From reading previous discussions on the subject I know that I have a long
way to go before I can rival some of the records posted here, but I feel
that with this flight I'm off to a good start.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old July 1st 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 1 Jul, 03:19, Michael Ash wrote:
On the subject of cross country records, I have a new personal best today,
for shortest cross country flight. I landed out a grand total of 4.7 miles
from the airport today.

A friend of mine got lost and low on his first flight in his Ka6 and
landed out in the field next to the gliding site. That was a cross
country of several hundred yards.

Ian

Old July 1st 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

We purposefully force our students down (with CFI on board) on a near by
lake bed pre-solo, about 2-3 miles from the airport, then aero tow them out.
I suppose that would be cross country?

We preach the lake bed as an out if they get caught low on the wrong side of
the ridge. Show them it can be used.

BT

"Michael Ash" wrote in message
On the subject of cross country records, I have a new personal best today,
for shortest cross country flight. I landed out a grand total of 4.7 miles
from the airport today. Statute miles. The sky sure looked beautiful but
the lift was deceptively hard to work. I found a wonderful field, larger
and in many places smoother than the home airport, which turned out to be
inside a locked water treatment facility. Much governmental hilarity
ensued, finally resulting in a successful retrieve.

From reading previous discussions on the subject I know that I have a long

Old July 1st 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jul 1, 12:51 am, "BT" wrote:
We purposefully force our students down (with CFI on board) on a near by
lake bed pre-solo, about 2-3 miles from the airport, then aero tow them out.
I suppose that would be cross country?

We preach the lake bed as an out if they get caught low on the wrong side of
the ridge. Show them it can be used.

BT

"Michael Ash" wrote in message

On the subject of cross country records, I have a new personal best today,
for shortest cross country flight. I landed out a grand total of 4.7 miles
from the airport today. Statute miles. The sky sure looked beautiful but
the lift was deceptively hard to work. I found a wonderful field, larger
and in many places smoother than the home airport, which turned out to be
inside a locked water treatment facility. Much governmental hilarity
ensued, finally resulting in a successful retrieve.

From reading previous discussions on the subject I know that I have a long
way to go before I can rival some of the records posted here, but I feel
that with this flight I'm off to a good start.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software- Hide quoted text -

Michael

Thats Wonderful!!! As you probably know I have posted my personal
shortest cross countries here as well. Currently I am at 13 nautical
miles but maybe I can do even shorter next weekend when I fly. Way to
go on a great flight and nice landout with a short retrieve. The best
part about short flights is you are back in time to have supper with
the other pilots but you actually have an interesting story to tell
besides orbitin around the airport for hours.

Old July 1st 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

At a comp in England last week someone made a scoring flight of 700
metres - less than half a mile:

http://www.gliderracing.co.uk/2007/ER/76R_ER2007.htm

And scored 1 point.

Dan

Old July 2nd 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chuck Griswold[_1_]

Those short flights are not always a short retrive.
On my first contest I
went through the start gate and 'lawn darted' into
a valley just short of a
runway. The flight lasted about 15 minutes and 10 miles
but it took 14
hours to get me home. You'd think I would have learned
something from
that. Nooooo.
Chuck

Old July 3rd 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

True, all too true.

I decided that a 90 degree crosswind at 20kt gusting to 30kts was more than
I should attempt in my Nimbus 2C so I landed into the wind at a neighboring
strip 3 miles away. The retrieve took 3 hours.

The first guy to show up only had a pickup, no trailer. (My car had the
keys in the ignition and the trailer hooked up to it.) "I came to get you"
he said. "With what?" "Where's the trailer? I asked. He pointed to his
passenger seat. "You can come back with it", he said. "Let me get this
straight, you want me to leave the glider unattended in a gusty 30 knot
wind?" Anyway, it took three more round trips to the airport before my
trailer arrived.

I'm finding that with all this 'no landouts' style flying, the very concept
of how to conduct a retrieve is getting lost.

Bill Daniels