Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems...

Old June 5th 05, 04:42 PM

Default Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems...

I was just forwarded this from my flying club. They've decided to stop
accepting FAA funding, along with its 20 year strings to keep the
airport open.

==========================

from Heather Wagner and your club scheduler at
http://www.AircraftClubs.com/ ...

From: Peter Carpenter
Old June 5th 05, 05:45 PM
RST Engineering

Purely from a strategic point of view --

A. The City Council may NOT reply to any of your comments if this item is
not on the published agenda. Doing so violates the State Open Meeting Law
(Brown Act) which states that any item not on the agenda may not be
discussed. Don't expect answers ... they can't give them.

B. The most you can hope for is for the Chair or Mayor (whichever form of
council you have) to direct the Clerk to put this item on the NEXT agenda.
If the Mayor is contacted prior to the meeting (perfectly legal so long as
you don't call a majority of the Council individually -- meeting seriatum)
you may be able to extract a promise to hold a special meeting IF this item
is time critical. Time critical implies some sort of a deadline that won't
wait until the next regular meeting. The fact that you want it done NOW
doesn't count for squat.

C. HOWEVER, if there are a few dozen of you, each of you can call up to (a
majority minus one) of the council members individually and express your
concerns prior to the meeting. (half minus one goes like this -- if there
are seven voting members on the council, you may call three. If there are
five you can call two, and so on.)

D. Getting up and leaving en masse is the worst advice you can be given.
It signals to the Council that you are going to take your toys and go home.
You don't give a damn about anything but your little playtoy airport. Don't
send that message. If the stuff on the agenda is boring as snot (the normal
run of events) you won't be noticed if you get up slowly one by one and
filter out quietly.

E. Numbers DO count. Each of those folks up there want to be reelected and
next year is reelection year for half of them. Don't bring in your friends
from East Undershirt to testify. They want to know that you are a voter for
them. The best way to do that is to say in a clear voice that "My name is
John Jones and my registered voting address is 1234 Goober Street, Palo
Alto" -- and THEN launch into your spiel. Don't BOTHER speaking if you
can't identify yourself as a voter OF THIS COUNCIL district.

E. If you can arrange it beforehand, pick a thrust issue (the deal with
Sunnyvale? the economic impact on the Palo Alto economy?) and have each
person touch on that issue before launching into their personal spiel.

Jay Honeck, you've just been down this road with YOUR council. Anything to
add?

Jim

Old June 6th 05, 05:44 AM
Bob Fry

"j" == jacobowitz writes:

j What the Council needs to see is righteous indignation by a lot
j of people

And that will do what?

j It is vital that all members of the airport community express
j their personal views on this issue. This will be democracy in
j action -- each person should speak their own mind and from
j their own script, but speak we must. Our silence or absence
j will be a clear sign of acquiescence to the City Manager's
j decision.

Oooohhh! Aaawwww! Wow, democracy in action!

Pardon my cynicism. You guys are so naive that if it weren't an
airport I'd be LMAO.

IF you are *really* serious about keeping KPAO--and you should be,
it's a nice airport--you need to get educated ASAP about how politics
*really* works. I'm not the guy to do it, but I know someone who can
point you in the right direction.

My guess is you don't really want to figure this out. It's a lot
preferable to huff and puff publically, tell each other you did the
best you could, and cry over a beer after you fly your planes
somewhere else. Invariably people don't really want advice, they
simply want affirmation of a course of action they've already decided
on.
Old June 6th 05, 06:00 AM
George Patterson

RST Engineering wrote:

Don't BOTHER speaking if you
can't identify yourself as a voter OF THIS COUNCIL district.

And don't try one of those "clever" little speeches. Like asking if it's true
they want to replace the airport with a Wal-Mart. It doesn't go over well (and
it might give them ideas).

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 6th 05, 07:01 PM

I really only meant to post the message as an alert to other people in
the area. If it wasn't clear from the attributions withing the text; I
did not write it myself.

That said, I am a user of PAO, a popular, heavily-used field. However,
I do not live in the city of Palo Alto, so have no real legal standing.
Perhaps there are people on this board who live in PA and want to get
involved.

-- dave j

Old June 6th 05, 08:24 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay Honeck, you've just been down this road with YOUR council. Anything to
add?

Well, not *quite* the same train of events happened out here in Corn
Country.

Our City Council (through the City Manager) was trying to
disenfranchise our independent airport commission, under the guise of
"helping the airport."

We saw through those smoke and mirrors right away. Anyone with a
brain stem realized instantly that the ONLY thing protecting our (too
close to town) airport from development was an independent commission,
made up of people dedicated to the future of the airport. The first
step toward closing the airport HAD to be the removal of this obstacle,
and we determined to stop them at that point.

So we organized a grass roots effort to "convince" the City Council of
the folly of their plans. (In truth, I don't think they had thought it
through, and I believe that they were just following the city manager's
lead.)

Step One was forming the "Friends of Iowa City Airport" advocacy group.
Primarily an email list of supporters, this group -- over 170 strong
-- was able to exert enormous pressure at the most critical times, both
"in-person" and through letter writing.

Step Two was to attend every Airport Commission and City Council
meeting. Most of our civil servants are used to working in relative
privacy (cable TV notwithstanding), and when a bunch of guys wearing
AOPA hats suddenly started showing up at meetings, they took notice.

Step Three was to find a champion. We found (or he found us?) a very
eloquent guy on the airport commission (who happened to be a rising
star at the University -- the 600 pound gorilla around Iowa City) who
was able to articulate the reasons behind maintaining an independent
airport commission to our city council members. This was critical,
since no one had ever bothered to explain any of the arcane
machinations of an airport to these folks -- most of whom were much
more interested in Iowa City's "historic preservation" or declaring
Iowa City to be a "nuclear-free zone"...

All three of these steps need to be followed by your group, pronto.
This needs to be highlighted in the newspapers, covered by local radio,
and brought up to AOPA. Make noise!

We were able to save our airport commission (at least, until the
monster arises from the dead yet again -- you never REALLY beat these
things) by using these time-honored techniques.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 05, 11:32 PM
Matt Whiting

On 2005-06-06 00:44:34 -0400, Bob Fry said:

"j" == jacobowitz writes:

[...]

Well now, wasn't THAT helpful.

Yes, some huff and puff at council meetings and some do it in usenet.

Matt