Gasahol Update

Old June 3rd 05, 08:51 PM
nrp

Yes - I would think a richer mixture would be necessary to
theoretically get to the 96.1% power level with gasahol. That the
mixture has already been optimized for gasoline would make me expect an
even greater power reduction for gasahol. Actually, there are many
things that affect the mixture distribution more in an engine that the
improvement of a mixture shift would be pretty insignificant.

The accuracy of the mixture control and distribution in smaller and
older aircraft is pretty mediocre by any modern EFI standard.

Old June 4th 05, 04:28 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article 6E0oe.883$qE2.219@trndny09,
George Patterson wrote:

Corky Scott wrote:

Well I do, I was an auto mechanic with gas started being laced with
alcohol, and saw the results several times.

Oh, I saw the results. What I meant was that I do not remember what it was in
those hoses and such that was affected by exposure to alcohol.

One of my friends was a line mechanic for an Oldmobile dealer. His stories
were
similar to yours. I happened to own a Ford during that period, and my only
problems involved hoses in the fuel system. Our other car was an Opel, but it
would only run on Amoco high test, so we never had an alcohol-related problem
with it.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

I have a book, "Aviation Fuels and their Effecton Engine Performance,"
dated 1953, by the Ethyl Corp. and supplied to the USAF (P.O.
AF-33(600)5312) and USN (Contract no. 52-202). In it they state that
hoses subjected to petroleum-based fuels will deteriorate when exposed
to paraffins or napthalene-based fuels; likewise, hoses that have been
subjected to paraffin or napthalene-based fuels will deteriorate when
exposed to petroleum-based fuels.

IOW, the hoses work well with either kind of fuel, but you will get into
trouble when you switch fuels. This phenomenon is exactly what happened
to autos when MTBE became widespread.

Old June 4th 05, 05:55 PM
David Lesher

"RST Engineering" writes:

4) The long term storage properties are horrible.

Certainly you must be kidding. I've got a bottle of Everclear that must be
30 years old and still has the same effect as the day I opened the bottle.
Alcohol has a MUCH better storage characteristic than gasoline.

That's a capped, glass, bottle... perhaps? As opposed to steel tankage,
with vents...?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old June 7th 05, 01:32 PM
Sport Pilot

No, if you richen up the mixture the gasahol will actually give more
horsepower and better climb, performance etc. But with more fuel
consumption. Alcohol has oxygen in the fuel. Although it has less BTU
per pound or gallon, if you richen it up to the highest RPM it will be
much richer than gasoline, and more BTU per hour.

Gasahol Update RST Engineering Owning 76 June 7th 05 11:18 PM
Garmin GPS196 Update v.4 - obstacles? [email protected] Piloting 13 March 16th 05 06:05 PM
AD: December 2004 update for London Control now available ShelleyM Simulators 0 December 15th 04 01:12 PM
8th Anniversary : Kiwi Aircraft Images Update Phillip Treweek Military Aviation 0 August 13th 04 01:45 AM
Anyone know how to update an old Loran database? Tom Jackson Home Built 8 December 3rd 03 02:15 AM