Leatherman saved the day

Old June 6th 05, 05:31 AM
Ben Jackson

Default Leatherman saved the day

I found my nose gear door detached from the linkage while preflighting
at Boeing Field. In theory all I needed was a phillips head screwdriver,
but I had to disassemble the end of the linkage to get to it, which
required removing a cotter pin. Leatherman to the rescue!

Of course now I'm thinking paranoid thoughts about more elaborate toolkits
for the plane, and just how much such a kit would shift my CG...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old June 6th 05, 05:53 AM
George Patterson

Ben Jackson wrote:

Of course now I'm thinking paranoid thoughts about more elaborate toolkits
for the plane, and just how much such a kit would shift my CG...

I think you will find that you can put a decent one together that weighs less
than 10 pounds. Mine was a small plastic tool box with little compartments in
the lid. I kept an assortment of fasteners, cotter pins, and a few feet of
safety wire there.

Inside was a tailwheel tube, one landing light bulb, an el-cheapo wire twister
from Aircraft Spruce, a Crescent wrench, a pair of needle-nose pliers, a can of
3-in-1, and one of those screwdrivers with a million bits.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 6th 05, 12:45 PM
Ron Natalie

Ben Jackson wrote:

Of course now I'm thinking paranoid thoughts about more elaborate toolkits
for the plane, and just how much such a kit would shift my CG...

I have a small kit about he size of a lunch box with:

Pliers: needlenose and vice grips.
A small open end wrench kit
A small socket set.
A multi-tipped screwdriver kit.
Duct Tape (although I regretted that one: long story).

Over the years, I might have added:

Safety wire, and pliers
A spark plug socke.

Depending on your plane you might throw in a few bulbs or
valve cover gaskets, or whatever you think you might need.

Has saved the day a couple of times.
Old June 7th 05, 01:32 PM

Ben Jackson wrote:
I found my nose gear door detached from the linkage while preflighting
at Boeing Field. In theory all I needed was a phillips head screwdriver,
but I had to disassemble the end of the linkage to get to it, which
required removing a cotter pin. Leatherman to the rescue!

Of course now I'm thinking paranoid thoughts about more elaborate toolkits
for the plane, and just how much such a kit would shift my CG...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

No need to get paranoid or having your CG to shift.
Just a leatherman, duct-tape, some tie-raps and superglue.
Thats all you need for most (simple)repairs.
I know, it sounds a bit A-team style but it works.

-Kees

Old June 7th 05, 03:24 PM

re Leatherman saving the day: I read an article several years ago
that I should have clipped and saved. It was a story about three guys
in a small helicopter, probably a Hiller 12 or Bell 47, that were doing
forestry work or something similar in high country. The machine
suddenly started climbing and the pilot had to apply full throttle to
keep the RPM in the green, and had lost collective control because an
unsafetied nut had fallen off the bolt connecting the collective rod to
the swash plate and the bolt had departed. The CP caused the system to
go full up.
Here's the problem: reducing throttle to come down would result in
massive RPM loss, and since centrifugal forces are crucial to keeping
the blades out straight, this wasn't an option. Full throttle uses up
the limited fuel at an alarming rate. Running out of fuel means no
autorotation, since the collective can't be reduced.
Prepare to die, or fix the problem. One of the forestry guys, after
being briefed by the pilot who could see what had happened through that
big canopy, climbed out and stood on the structure, and somehow managed
to get the collective rod reconnected to the swash plate using the awl
of his Leatherman as a bolt. He stayed there and held it in place, with
all that machinery whirling over his head, several thousand feet up,
balanced on a steel tube, while the pilot brought the thing to earth.
This must be somewhere on the 'net. I wouldn't know where.

Dan

Old June 7th 05, 03:33 PM

See that. I should have Googled it *first*:

http://home.earthlink.net/~quade/leatherman.html

http://www.avweb.com/news/safety/183041-1.html

Same story, two sources. More are listed.Seems to be true enough.

Dan