C-130 on Navy Carrier

Old February 16th 05, 04:02 PM
Rob van Riel

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:44:12 +0100, Ralph Savelsberg wrote:
Some photographs (sadly in B&W) can be found at:
http://p2vneptune.org/p2v3c.shtml

Thanks for the info. You don't really need much colour if the markings are
white on dark blue, so I think these will do nicely.
Now, all I need to do is win the lottery, so I can retire and start
building in earnest...

Rob
Old February 16th 05, 04:05 PM
Gord Beaman

John Szalay wrote:

Rob van Riel wrote in
news
Lots of info on this event has been posted here, but it leaves me with a
smaal problem. I've gotten it into my head to build scale models of every
type of post WWII plane that flew of the decks of US carriers, and now it
turns out even the Herc qualifies for that. Can anyone help me with
information about the squadron markings on this particular aircraft? The
links in the various posts show pictures, but they're not very revealing
in this respect.

Thanks for any help

Rob

Make sure include the U-2 in that list..

....aaand the B-52C (the C is for carrier of course)
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old February 16th 05, 04:16 PM
Gord Beaman

Rob van Riel wrote:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:38:38 +0000, Peter Twydell wrote:

In message , Rob van Riel
writes
smaal problem. I've gotten it into my head to build scale models of every
type of post WWII plane that flew of the decks of US carriers, and now it

Everything? Including FAA, Aéronavale, Koninklijke Marine, RAN, etc.?
Sounds like quite a list if that's the case!

Basically, just US Navy/Marines, but if there was an interesting enough
guest appearance on one of the US carriers, I'll consider it qualified.
And yes, you're right, even that is quite a list, but it's still a lot
less than it would be if I declared a modelling free for all. Many
modellers have hundreds, if not thousands of unbuilt kits in the attic, so
limited myself to this and a few other subjects. It may not sound like
such a great limitation, but it sure beats "anything that ever flew or is
otherwise interesting".

Rob

Don't forget the B-25 Mitchell of course...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old February 16th 05, 05:39 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Rob van Riel writes:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:12:05 +1030, Dave Kearton wrote:
I have a picture of a Neptune on the Coral Sea but it doesn't show markings

Ulp! I think I'm going to have to expand my display cabinet. The Herc,
Neptune and U-2 aren't exactly small aircraft. And here I was thinking the
A-3 was going to be the biggest of the bunch..

The Neptunes were P2V-3s from VC-5. They were an expedient way of the
Navy having the ability to deploy early Atomic Bombs (Mk I and Mk III)
from Carriers. (Thus simultaneously deterring the Soviets and the
Dreaded USAF) They wre replaced with the somewhat more
Carrier-compatible AJ Savage. According to Holly Hills, (Is he still
around? I hope so! If not, Clear Skies!) a VC-5 pilot at the time,
they also had hooks, and had successfully done a lot of FLCPs. They
wnated to try landing then on a Midway Class ship, but they couldn't
find a Ship's Captain who'd agree to it.

(Holly is/was Real Aviation History. After qualifying as a Naval
Aviator adn flying F2A Buffaloes, he joined the RCAF and flew Mustang
Is. He's credited with the first Mustang kill - an FW 190 over
Dieppe. He retirned to teh Navy, and did a whole pile of pioneering
stuff.)

At the same time that teh Navy was running Carrier Trials on the P-51,
late 1944, early 1945, they were also conducting trials on a
hook-equipped PBJ (B-25) Don't forget that one.

And oh, yah - it didn't quite make it on deck, but one proposal for a
high-volume COD airplane in the late '50s (According to a detailed
article in a mid '56 "Aviation Week") was a hook-equipped, folding wing
flavor of the C-123. I don't know if it folded up enough to be struck
below decks, but it's an interesting idea.
(Which sort of puts the kibosh on the contention that nobory thought
that Carriers couldn't be resupplied with stuff at sea.)

--
Pete Stickney

Without data, all you have are opinions
Old February 16th 05, 09:07 PM
Dave in San Diego

Ralph Savelsberg wrote in
:

Rob van Riel wrote:

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:12:05 +1030, Dave Kearton wrote:

I have a picture of a Neptune on the Coral Sea but it doesn't show
markings

Ulp! I think I'm going to have to expand my display cabinet. The
Herc, Neptune and U-2 aren't exactly small aircraft. And here I was
thinking the A-3 was going to be the biggest of the bunch..

Rob

Some photographs (sadly in B&W) can be found at:
http://p2vneptune.org/p2v3c.shtml

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

There is a decent pic of the Neptune taking off from Midway he

http://history.navy.mil/avh-1910/PART06.PDF

go to pdf page 18, or document page 176

It, like the Coral Sea pic on the site Ralph cited above, doesn't show
much in the way of markings, though.

Dave in San Diego
Old February 16th 05, 10:26 PM
Rob van Riel

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:16:11 +0000, Gord Beaman wrote:
Don't forget the B-25 Mitchell of course...

Sorry, got to draw the line somewhere. Unless Mitchells flew of one of the
carriers after WWII as well...

Rob

Old February 17th 05, 12:07 AM
MikeR

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message
In article ,
Rob van Riel writes:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:16:11 +0000, Gord Beaman wrote:
Don't forget the B-25 Mitchell of course...

Sorry, got to draw the line somewhere. Unless Mitchells flew of one of

the
carriers after WWII as well...

For the 60th anniversary of the Doolittle Raid, the USN did indeed
crane aboard somebody's B-25 Warbird and it was flown off at sea.
Does that count?

August 26 1995: http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/027021.jpg

Old February 17th 05, 12:15 AM
Al Dykes

Rob van Riel writes:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:16:11 +0000, Gord Beaman wrote:
Don't forget the B-25 Mitchell of course...

Sorry, got to draw the line somewhere. Unless Mitchells flew of one of

the
carriers after WWII as well...

For the 60th anniversary of the Doolittle Raid, the USN did indeed
crane aboard somebody's B-25 Warbird and it was flown off at sea.
Does that count?

August 26 1995: http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/027021.jpg

Did they start him at a runway length equal to what Dolittle had at a
weight equal to a full fuel and bomb load ?

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old February 17th 05, 12:18 AM
Dave Kearton

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

| Did they start him at a runway length equal to what Dolittle had at a
| weight equal to a full fuel and bomb load ?
|
|| --
|
| a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

In **** weather from a pitching deck. Luckily both engines started
or they would have to push her over the side.

(somehow, I don't really think so)

Cheers

Dave Kearton