Where is Udvar-Hazy?

Old June 6th 05, 04:54 AM
Jerry

Jay,

Make sure you know the location of P-40/R-4009 (Camp David) when you are
coming in from the North.

Is this going to be a Taylorcraft trip?

Jerry in NC

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Sorry, Jay, I had the wrong sort of tax in mind

Taxi (plane), taxi (cab), tax (charity) -- wow, this English, it be a
tough language!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 05, 05:33 AM
Morgans

"Jerry" wrote

Jay,

Is this going to be a Taylorcraft trip?

Jerry, bite your tongue! Jay in an unmanly high wing airplane?

I don't think so! g
--
Jim in NC
Old June 6th 05, 02:38 PM
Jay Honeck

Make sure you know the location of P-40/R-4009 (Camp David) when you are
coming in from the North.

Thanks.

I watched the AOPA Powerpoint (or whatever) program (on their website) about
restricted airspace around Camp David last night. Looks like something to
stay WAY away from...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 05, 02:54 PM
Flyingmonk

I'm sure ground control can give you progressive instructions Jay.
Anyways, like everyone said, the Center is below the map.

Bryan

Old June 6th 05, 02:55 PM
Flyingmonk

As long as you keep DC and Potomac river to your left, coming down from
the North, you should have no problem.

Bryan

Old June 6th 05, 05:35 PM
Joe Morris

"Jay Honeck" writes:

I've been using the trial version of Keyhole (a VERY cool program,
available for download at http://www.keyhole.com/) to explore Dulles
International, in a vain attempt to figure out how in the world I'm
supposed to taxi to the Udvar-Hazy Center.

Can any of you DC-ites tell me where, on that photo, the Center is?

The road that connects U-H to Route 28 (which goes up the eastern
edge of the IAD property) passes just south of the approach end
of runway 1R. The U-H building is just to the west of the extended
centerline of taxiway J.

I've never checked, but looking at the taxi chart I would put the
lat/long coordinates for the museum somewhere around 38d55mN,
77d26.7mW.

Go to maps.google.com, locate the southeast corner of the Dulles
property, and ask for the satellite photo. It's a bit dated (still
showing the U-H under construction, and still showing the old
(nonpublic) Gate 4 access road, but it clearly shows where the
museum is located relative to the runways.

And no, I don't know what the taxi path would be to get there. I
was busy doing an astronomy dog-and-pony exhibit there a couple
of months ago and overheard a comment that anything being brought
to the building was by policy under tow (i.e., no taxiing on your
own) but that shouldn't be considered an authoratative statement
of how things are done there, but if it's correct the path to
the museum would not show up on any taxi chart.

Joe Morris
Old June 7th 05, 12:43 AM
Robert M. Gary

Its indoors so it may be hard to see. Its right next to the VOR though.
There is a control tower there staffed by highly experienced tourists.

-Robert

Old June 7th 05, 02:26 AM
Margy

Joe Morris wrote:
"Jay Honeck" writes:

I've been using the trial version of Keyhole (a VERY cool program,
ava

And no, I don't know what the taxi path would be to get there. I
was busy doing an astronomy dog-and-pony exhibit there a couple
of months ago and overheard a comment that anything being brought
to the building was by policy under tow (i.e., no taxiing on your
own) but that shouldn't be considered an authoratative statement
of how things are done there, but if it's correct the path to
the museum would not show up on any taxi chart.

Joe Morris

Were you there for Space Day? You are correct, everything that comes
down the "Tow Road" or "Garber Road" by policy is under tow EXCEPT for
the "up to four" approved fly-in events each year. In the year and a
half the museum has been open this is the first such event and it will
be PERFECT! This event will have up to 30 aircraft coming in (minus any
last minute things) and as the first event will be judged accordingly.
I hope to do it again next year (If I live through this year!).

Margy
Old June 7th 05, 12:53 PM
Joe Morris

Margy writes:

Joe Morris wrote:

I was busy doing an astronomy dog-and-pony exhibit there a couple
of months ago [...]

Were you there for Space Day?

Nope. I was invited to be part of the shindig but since it was during
the week I couldn't get away from the office...which turned out to be
a Good Thing since we had some crises (details NOT available) which
I had to handle. OTOH, one of the other people with whom I usually
run the invited astronomy exhibits at the Air & Space in downtown DC
got his picture in the _Washington Post_, letting a child look at the
Sun through a telescope (yes, with the appropriate safety equipment!).

Joe Morris
Old June 8th 05, 01:48 AM
Ron Natalie

Flyingmonk wrote:
I'm sure ground control can give you progressive instructions Jay.
Anyways, like everyone said, the Center is below the map.

The museum taxiway is at the south end of Taxiway J. If you are coming
down J, just keep going (provided we got the gate open).