Wondering about Beechcraft V-tail Baron/Two engine Bonanza?

Old June 6th 05, 08:49 AM
tigglys

Default Wondering about Beechcraft V-tail Baron/Two engine Bonanza?

We have a little toy model that looks like a V-tail Baron. Was such a
thing ever made? It doesn't quite look like the Super "V" because there
is another set of windows. (We were getting ready to list it on e-bay
and aren't sure what to call it.)

The toy is a Sky Skipper by Gabriel/Hubley.

Any info would be GREAT! Thanks!

Old June 6th 05, 12:47 PM
Ron Natalie

tigglys wrote:
We have a little toy model that looks like a V-tail Baron. Was such a
thing ever made? It doesn't quite look like the Super "V" because there
is another set of windows. (We were getting ready to list it on e-bay
and aren't sure what to call it.)

The toy is a Sky Skipper by Gabriel/Hubley.

Any info would be GREAT! Thanks!

May not exist. I've got a little tail dragger Navion which
was a popular tootsie-roll premium back in the 50's.
Old June 6th 05, 01:48 PM

tigglys,

The Beech Model 34 Twin Quad was a four-engine arrangement driving two
props (so it looked like a twin). It had a V tail. One prototype was
built and was destroyed in a takeoff crash in 1949.

For some reason I'm thinking there was a version of the Model 18 (Twin
Beech) that had an experimental V tail on it, but I don't think it was
ever produced.

There may have been a prototype Travel Air or Baron with a V tail, but
I don't recall. I'd recommend a web search of Beechcraft history.

All the best,
Rick

Old June 6th 05, 03:09 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"tigglys" wrote in message
ps.com...

We have a little toy model that looks like a V-tail Baron. Was such a
thing ever made? It doesn't quite look like the Super "V" because there
is another set of windows. (We were getting ready to list it on e-bay
and aren't sure what to call it.)

The toy is a Sky Skipper by Gabriel/Hubley.

Any info would be GREAT! Thanks!

Beech never built an aircraft like that. It appears to draw inspiration
from several aircraft. The nacelles have a Cessna look, the tip tanks
Piper.

http://www.grampiesbarn.com/TMP227.jpg

Old June 6th 05, 03:14 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tom Fleischman" k wrote in
message
news:2005060607550275249%bodhijunkoneeightyeightju nkatmacdotcom@junkjunk...

I seem to recall that there was a Twin Bonanza built at one time, but I
don't think it was a V-tail.

The Beech model 50 Twin Bonanza was produced from 1951 to 1963. It had a
conventional fuselage. While it was called the Twin Bonanza it was not a
Bonanza with two engines.

Old June 6th 05, 03:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message
oups.com...
tigglys,

For some reason I'm thinking there was a version of the Model 18 (Twin
Beech) that had an experimental V tail on it, but I don't think it was
ever produced.

Not a version of the Model 18, a Model 26/AT-10 was modified to test the
V-tail.

Old June 6th 05, 04:25 PM

Steven,

Thank you. All I could recall was that it had radials and looked like
an -18, so the AT-10 makes sense.

All the best,
Rick

Old June 6th 05, 04:58 PM
Michael

Such a thing WAS made, but not by Beech. In the good old days, when
you could do ANYTHING on field approvals, several singles were turned
into twins. Those were the days that gave rise to the twin TriPacer,
the twin Navion, and the twin Bonanza.

Now don't confuse this with the 'real' Twin Bonanza built by Beech,
which was a cabin clas twin with two very loud geared engines and a
conventional tail.

The twin Bonanza was a V-tail Bonanza fuselage with the nose engine
removed ant two engine nacelles installed on the wings. Vmc was VERY
high due to limited ruddervator authority, but it was said to be a good
flyer.

Several of these were built, and I believe a couple are still flying.
One of the aviation rags did a story on them a few years ago.

Michael

Old June 7th 05, 03:56 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
.net...

The Beech model 50 Twin Bonanza was produced from 1951 to 1963. It had a
conventional fuselage. While it was called the Twin Bonanza it was not a
Bonanza with two engines.

Oops. That should have been, "It had a conventional empennage".