Getting to the other side of KMIA from the Keys

Old June 22nd 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Getting to the other side of KMIA from the Keys

As a rather new VFR pilot with only 122 hours, I have not ventured
far from my home bases. I am planning a trip down to the keys and
back. But I would like to return along the east coast back to Jax.

Capt. Doug suggested that it's easiest to stay at 1000' or less and
follow the beach. Just north of Ocean Reef at the topmost portion of
the keys is the Biscayne National Park with a minimum altitude
restriction of 2000'. About 15 miles north of that the outer airspace
of KMIA begins with a floor of 3000'. For about 8 miles a pilot would
be sandwiched between 2000' over the park and 3000' under the KMIA
airspace. This doesn't seem like a lot of room to manuever. Wouldn't
it be pretty easy to bust either airspace if perhaps some clouds got
in the way?

If I were to swing out about six or seven miles east of the islands in
the Biscayne National Park I could fly at 1000' and bypass the park
restricted area. Of course there is no way to glide back to land if
the engine quits at that altitude and distance from land.

I wanted to get some idea of what some other pilots might do if you
are not wanting to fly through KMIA's airspace.

Kirk

Old June 22nd 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

FlipSide wrote in message
[...]

Some thoughts:

* First of all, keep in mind that the 2000' minimum altitude is not a
regulatory requirement, at least not as far as the FARs are concerned.
There's no airspace to "bust". It's good to pay attention to it, but if
it's a question of the safety of your flight, the safety must take
precedence. If for 8 miles you had to descend below some clouds, putting
you less than 2000' above the wildlife area, that wouldn't be the end of the
world. Of course, unless you're avoiding a widely scattered area, having to
fly below the clouds along an 8 mile stretch could easily mean having to fly
below those clouds along the entire length of the wildlife area.

* I haven't done any flying in Florida recently, but a decade ago it
would be unusual to run into weather that would preclude flight between
2000' and 3000' and yet not at other altitudes. Assuming the climate hasn't
changed *too* terribly much, I'd say you should be more concerned about
weather generally, than the potential for it causing some specific route
(altitude) of flight to be unusable.

* Class B isn't "keep out" airspace. You just need to have the
necessary clearance into it. Whether that clearance allows you to simply
overfly your intended route at a higher altitude, or requires some rerouting
to accomodate the traffic within the Class B, that depends on a variety of
things. But again, you need to be prepared for *some* modification of the
route anyway, so I don't see having to contact the Miami controllers for
passage through their airspace as a big deal. It's something you need to be
prepared for if you intend to navigate airspace near the Class B and aren't
willing to simply scrub the flight if weather is in the way.

Basically, a planned route with only a 1000' window of altitude available to
you is just fine, provided you are prepared to simply not make the flight if
the window is not available. If you are not willing to just delay the
flight in the event of a minor weather issue (I assume a major weather
problem would always be a potential reason to delay the flight), then you
need to have a plan that offers alternatives, such as flight through the
Class B, a significant deviation around it over land, or a willingness to
ignore the wildlife protection area and fly below clouds over it where
necessary.

One last thing to consider...I don't have my Miami chart handy, and it'd be
hopelessly out of date even if I did, but many Class B airspaces include
some kind of VFR transition route, through which VFR aircraft can fly with
or without a clearance. Even when a clearance is still required, it is
often simpler and easier to get a clearance along the transition route than
elsewhere in the Class B airspace. So, make sure you're familiar with the
Class B chart and especially the "other side" of the chart.

Pete

Old June 22nd 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

(FlipSide wrote)
I wanted to get some idea of what some other pilots might do if you are
not wanting to fly through KMIA's airspace.

KMIA? JAX?

We need Airport names and locations! g

(K)EYS - where's that?

Montblack
Just a little edgy today, because the days start getting shorter, now. By
August 4th we lose an hour of daylight. [audible sigh]

Old June 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Just a little edgy today, because the days start getting shorter, now. By August 4th we lose an hour of daylight.

.... making it easier to retain night currency. Getting night current in
the Northeast in January is a bear.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old June 23rd 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:47:51 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:
Peter,

Thanks for the very helpful and informative response to my question.

Obviously the best plan is to understand and be prepared for as many
routing options as possible because you never know what may pop up.

Thanks

Kirk

Old June 23rd 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

FlipSide,

Did that exact flight about 5 years ago but it was Daytona to Marathon
Key, via KMIA. was under vfr flight following the whole way and would
suggest at least that. my intentions were to fly over the top of the
class Bravo but weather started to develop under me and i was concerned
about when/if it would break up enough to descend, so descended early
and entered the ft. lauderdale/miami are around 2500 MSL. Both Miami
center and approach will not be happy to work with you vft but it's
thier job (workload permitting). basically they took me through the
vfr transition routes found on the terminal area sectional chart. hard
to remember but think i found myself over some swampland around 1500
agl dodging weather. one of those things you land and promise yourself
you will never do again. also the northern end of KMIA's airspace is
in/around the approaches to Ft. Lauderdale so consider them as well.

on the return trip to daytona i skirted the western edge of MIA's
airspace to avoid some major thunderstorms so didn't really talk to
anyone or require much crafty navigation. just flew up the middle of
the peninsula which has very few airports or places to land in an
emergency. when flying a single engine i like to consider all the
possible 'outs' during each phase of the flight. both legs provided me
with very few choices which i don't like.

if i were to do it today the first thing i would do after takeoff from
the keys is contact center and flight service and advise of your
intentions. they can provide lots of info about traffic, weather, and
controller workload. tell them your route and desired altitude. they
can steer you around weather or airspace you may have missed in the
preflight. basically you will get a good picture of what to expect
before getting to KMIA. as far as flying around the airpace is
concerned, i wouldn't advise it. with the traffic density and florida
weather you have enough to worry about and don't need to add airspace
violations to the list. Call miami center/approach and let them do the
navigating for you. i always got a comforting feeling knowing someone
was watching me and could communicate with me. if they're too busy
with IFR's, they'll tell you and hopefully suggest the next best
alternative. if they were to tell me to "remain outside the class
bravo" which happens ofter, i would just overfly the ceilings of the
airpsace while keeping an eye out for traffic.

skirting the western edge of the airpace puts you near the everglades
which don't make for good emergency landing fields. be careful though
flying north/southbound over the coastline. it's a great way to
navigate and consequently everyone does it. the hemispheric rule gets
confusing to new pilots between 350 and 000 degrees and you often find
opposite direction traffic at your altitude which sneak up on you
quickly.

probabbly more information than you wanted but i found this flight to
be a great learing experience. good luck and have fun.

Doogie
ATP

Old June 26th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 23 Jun 2006 13:18:00 -0700, "Doogie"
wrote:

FlipSide,

Did that exact flight about 5 years ago but it was Daytona to Marathon
Key, via KMIA. ........probabbly more information than you wanted but i found this flight to
be a great learing experience. good luck and have fun.

Doogie
ATP

It will certainly be a learning adventure. I just hope I am not biting
off more than I can chew right now. Thanks for taking time to tell me
about your experience.

Old June 27th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I live in the Ft. lauderdale area and have made the Keys trip many times.
If I don't file IFR i usually just fly down the west side of Miami. I'm
based out of HWO -Hollywood / North Perry. Not much to it. Just get a Mia
chart and stay below their airspace or contact them.

Steve

Old June 27th 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:08:26 -0400, "smf"
wrote:

I live in the Ft. lauderdale area and have made the Keys trip many times.
If I don't file IFR i usually just fly down the west side of Miami. I'm
based out of HWO -Hollywood / North Perry. Not much to it. Just get a Mia
chart and stay below their airspace or contact them.

Steve,

I discussed this flight some more with my "co-pilot" testerday. he has
about the same level of experience that I do and we agreed that it is
more than we want to bargain with right now to fly on the east side of
MIA over the beach. Even though that's the more scenic route it is
also more congested. Maybe next year after we get a few X-countries
under our belts.

Looks like we could circle around on the west side. From Key Largo fly
to Homestead (X51) then head due north past the alert area and under
the 3000' floor of MIA airspace. Then before getting to the A-291B
alert area take a turn northeast towards Ft. Lauderdale.

There are just not a lot af places to go in the event of any emergency
between X51 and Opa Locka West if down at 2500' or less flying under
the 3000' floor.

Kirk
Old June 27th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

FlipSide wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:08:26 -0400, "smf"

this flight some more with my "co-pilot" testerday. he has
about the same level of experience that I do and we agreed that it is
more than we want to bargain with right now to fly on the east side of
MIA over the beach. Even though that's the more scenic route it is
also more congested. Maybe next year after we get a few X-countries
under our belts.

Hi Kirk,

I just moved away from south FL, but I used to do this trip often from
LNA (west palm beach) to either MTH or EYW. Going down to the Keys,
I'd just pick up flight following from Palm Beach and continue on down
the coast. Ft. Lauderdale appch keeps you a little low and off the
coast (500 ft AGL and 1 mi), but it's really not a big deal. Pretty
cool scenery from that level actually, if you catch my drift.

Not sure why that other guy said MIA is unwilling to deal with VFR.
I've had just the opposite experience. They are very friendly and
willing to work with you, just don't act like a goofball. In other
words, engage your brain before you speak and make it to the point.
Not that hard.

As far as experience, I first did that trip when I was a freshly minted
PPL in 2004 with around 65 hrs total. It was not a problem.

The only things I would pay attention to a
-Call ahead to the FBO at EYW. There's only one there and they can get
packed. Make sure there's room for you to park.

-Make sure you are flexible on time. I almost got stuck there when
some storms moved in unexpectedly. Of course, being FL the wx changed
quickly and I got out a couple hours later.

When you come back, the preferred routing is to fly east along the keys
again (for safety) until Key Biscane, then east of Miami beach, then
request an overhead transition over FLL. Continue on to Palm Beach,
and they'll usually hook you up w/ flight following all the way north
to wherever (via Miami center).

Hopefully you guys end up doing the trip. It's really fun, very
beautiful, and will be a great learning experience. If you have more
questions let me know here and I can tell you more via email.

Sam