Can they do this? Restrict airport to IFR traffic only?

Old April 23rd 05, 12:06 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Peter Duniho" said:
A pilot not instrument rated filing an IFR flight plan would indeed be
violating the FARs. And perhaps that's what "mindenpilot" meant. But
that's not what he said.

Well, except in a previous post, he said:
Also, if the weather is VFR, there is nothing stopping us VFR pilots from
filing an IFR flight plan and flying in, as long as we maintain VFR

Since he referred to himself as "us VFR pilots", it would indeed be a FAR
violation for him to file and fly an IFR flight plan, even if he did it in
VMC.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Zero Tolerance" in this case meaning "We're too stupid to be able to
Old April 23rd 05, 12:27 AM
Peter Duniho

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Well, except in a previous post, he said:
Also, if the weather is VFR, there is nothing stopping us VFR pilots from
filing an IFR flight plan and flying in, as long as we maintain VFR

There was, in fact, already an answer to that question. IMHO, it makes more
sense to address questions in the post to which one is replying, rather than
those found elsewhere.

Since he referred to himself as "us VFR pilots", it would indeed be a FAR
violation for him to file and fly an IFR flight plan, even if he did it in
VMC.

The question in the post to which Newps and I were responding asked "if YOU
could get away with simply filing an IFR flight plan and flying it
maintaining VFR the entire time" (emphasis on "you" mine). Not "us".
"You". Now, granted, not all of us are instrument rated, but many of us
are, and in any case the use of the word "you" there is a colloquial way of
saying "a person in general".

Pete

Old April 23rd 05, 02:29 AM
Dave S

Since he referred to himself as "us VFR pilots", it would indeed be a FAR
violation for him to file and fly an IFR flight plan, even if he did it in
VMC.

Just a nitpick.. but ANYONE can file an IFR flight plan... you have to
be instrument rated and current to accept the clearance when issued
under the flight plan.

Airlines use dispatchers who are non-pilots to file their plans. Again..
anyone can file, but not anyone can use.

Nit Mode off.
Dave

Old April 23rd 05, 01:40 PM
Blueskies

"Dave S" wrote in message link.net...

Morgans wrote:

If that is true, how can a pilot who has let his currency lapse, get current
again?

Doesn't he have to be on an IFR flight to get current again?

Either with another pilot in the plane serving as safety who can accept the IFR clearance (and IS the PIC for that
purpose), or under VFR under the hood with a safety pilot..

Or with an authorized instructor for an IPC. (Who can conduct it under either above listed method)

Dave

This is what the instrument proficiency check is all about - what is it, six months after the 6 months? Requires a CFII
if I understand correctly...

Old April 23rd 05, 05:34 PM

All technicalities aside, it comes down to the fact that the resort
owners at Sun Valley [we call them "greedheads"] are sucking up to the
"Richie Riches" [Gates, Schwarzenegger, Willis, Cruise, Eastwood,
Buffet, et al] and pressure the airport manager to cater to their jets.

That and the fact that the jets & turbines that come into Friedman
[HLE] put a lot more $$ in the FBO's pockets [there's only one FBO on
the field, thus the 100LL is $4/gallon!] than us VFR'ers.

WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Aviation Conspiracy: Bush Backs Down On Tower Privatization Issue!!! Bill Mulcahy General Aviation 3 October 1st 03 05:39 AM