Turbine air start -- too cold?

Old January 15th 05, 10:02 PM
Juan Jimenez

"ChuckSlusarczyk" wrote in message
In article , Juan Jimenez
says...

Monkey see, monkey do. I guess it's true that retards feed from each
other.

Guess your right Hmmm let's see jim zoom campbell and jaun jaminiz
(spelled
wrong on purpose) :-)

Gee, what can I say, only a putz like you would consider it a privilege to
brag about his unilingual ignorance, to the point that you think it
necessary to point out that you can't spell, in English _or_ Spanish.

Chuck (I designed my own plane ,did you?) S RAH-15/1 ret

Juan (I pay my son for his work, don't have any drug addicts in my family
and no one in my family has ever had his children taken away by the
state....) :-)

Old January 15th 05, 10:53 PM
Colibri

Sean Trost wrote:
I stand corrected. Thanks Jim. Learned somthing new everyday.
Sean

Jim Carriere wrote:
Sean Trost wrote:

Juan
I believe that N1 is related to the velocity of the airstream
introduced. Which is good. But not related to the ignition problem
Now You have said that you have an excellent spark and good fuel. the
only other thing you need for start is the right airflow. or volumn.
Dont know about your engine specifically but most everything else runs
right around 14 to 1 on the ratio wise.

Actually, jets are a different beast from piston engines. Between about
25:1 and 50:1 is normal, even for lightoff fuel flow. Stoichiometrically
correct combustion is too hot.

50:1 would be the total airflow:fuel ratio through the engine core. Of
those 50 parts air, 15 are primary air that mixes with the fuel for
stoichiometrically correct combustion.

The other 35 parts are secondary air (not to be confused with a turbofan's
bypass air, which doesn't pass through the core). Some secondary air passes
around the exterior of the combustion chamber liner to cool it, and some
passes through holes into the chamber to shape the flame and hold it away
from the liner wall to prevent damage.

None of this is impingement starting air, which hits the turbine blades and
then goes right out the exhaust duct.
Old January 15th 05, 11:45 PM
Jim Carriere

Jim Carriere wrote:

Sean Trost wrote:

[...]

This is a better explanation than I gave, but I'll elaborate further
to this that while technically only 15 of those parts of air are
"burned" (use to support combustion), and the secondary air begins
mixing with the flame very close to where the fuel nozzle(s) are
located. Depending on the design of the engine, some or even all the
secondary air flowing around the combustor liner mixes with the
primary air/flame before entering the turbine.

Complex engines will route some of the secondary air through tiny
cooling passages in the turbine blades themselves (I'm pretty sure
you, Colibri, understand this, I'm speaking to the group and not
trying to insult you), but I strongly doubt this is the case with
Juan's engine.

None of this is impingement starting air, which hits the turbine blades
and then goes right out the exhaust duct.

This is an important distinction, so is the difference between
secondary and bypass.

Old January 16th 05, 04:20 AM
Gord Beaman

Jim Carriere wrote:
Sean Trost wrote:

[...]

Of course...very much above (or below) 13 or 14 to 1 and the
mixture won't burn...certainly it won't at 25 to 1.

--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old January 16th 05, 05:48 PM
Juan Jimenez

"Jim Carriere" wrote in message

This is a better explanation than I gave, but I'll elaborate further to
this that while technically only 15 of those parts of air are "burned"
(use to support combustion), and the secondary air begins mixing with the
flame very close to where the fuel nozzle(s) are located. Depending on
the design of the engine, some or even all the secondary air flowing
around the combustor liner mixes with the primary air/flame before
entering the turbine.

Complex engines will route some of the secondary air through tiny cooling
passages in the turbine blades themselves (I'm pretty sure you, Colibri,
understand this, I'm speaking to the group and not trying to insult you),
but I strongly doubt this is the case with Juan's engine.

You are correct. My engine is not a turbofan, it is a turbojet, circa 1973.

Old January 16th 05, 05:55 PM
Juan Jimenez

That was YOU in the truck???!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On 15 Jan 2005 09:18:40 -0800, ChuckSlusarczyk
wrote:

:Guess your right Hmmm let's see jim zoom campbell and jaun jaminiz
(spelled
:wrong on purpose) :-)

Chuck, I'm told Juan doesn't trust Zoom to test fly his airplane, so
Juan's getting in some practice time before he takes it up for first
flight.

http://tinyurl.com/4fkgz

Old January 17th 05, 02:28 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Juan Jimenez says...

Gee, what can I say, only a putz like you would consider it a privilege to
brag about his unilingual ignorance, to the point that you think it
necessary to point out that you can't spell, in English _or_ Spanish.

Bet I speak more spanish then you do Polish .

Chuck (I designed my own plane ,did you?) S RAH-15/1 ret

Juan (I pay my son for his work, don't have any drug addicts in my family

Are you saying I do? OK macho man Prove it!! Names please.

and no one in my family has ever had his children taken away by the
state....) :-)

Once again don't beat around the bush and make vague accusations say it plain
and prove it. Who in my family and which kids? Names please or are you afraid if
your wrong you'll be getting a letter from my lawyer? Come on,be a man stand
behind what you say.If your right then you've nothing to fear ...but if your
wrong......

Chuck (I can't believe how much like zoom jaun is) S RAH-15/1 ret

Old January 17th 05, 02:33 AM
Chuckslusarczyk

In article , Richard Riley says...

wrote:

:Guess your right Hmmm let's see jim zoom campbell and jaun jaminiz (spelled
:wrong on purpose) :-)

Chuck, I'm told Juan doesn't trust Zoom to test fly his airplane, so
Juan's getting in some practice time before he takes it up for first
flight.

http://tinyurl.com/4fkgz

Looks like one of his better landings LOL!! at least the wings were leve!

See ya

Chuck (aim between the trees )S RAH-15/1 ret

Old January 17th 05, 03:11 AM
Grantland

Why don't you two get a room eh? ****ing kweers.

Shawie Trost simpered:

Old January 17th 05, 11:54 PM
Juan Jimenez

Gee, what's wrong, Chuckieboy? Does it disturb you when I tell you the
things I do and what hasn't happened in my family? Why is that, Chuckie?

You just don't know when to shut your trap, do you. Some things never
change, like the fact it's all about the credibility you don't have.