OLV GPS 36 approach question

Old August 6th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Greg Esres

Default OLV GPS 36 approach question

Unfortunately the flight school no longer operates out of OLV per
airport personel, so traffic has been reduced substantially!

The owner screwed up the business royally. But, the lease for the
building was taken over by the smaller flight school next door.
However, they did not aquire the leasebacks for the newer Cessna
Aircraft, or the complex aircraft. Downtown Aviation at the Dewitt
Spain Airport just north of Memphis' downtown area got those, along
with a large number of the instructors (including moi) and students.

So, there is indeed still a flight school at Olive Branch, but it's
operating at a far reduced capability than it had 3 or 4 years ago.
The new owners have big plans, but so far their execution has been
poor, IMO.

Old August 7th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
john smith

In article ,
Greg Esres wrote:

BTW, MVA in that area is probably 2,000 feet, so you were safe at
2,100, but not in compliance with the procedure.

What is the MSA on the approach chart?
Old August 7th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Greg Esres

What is the MSA on the approach chart?

No MSA on TAA RNAV approaches.

On the ILS, I think it's 2,500, due to a very tall tower north of the
airport.

Old August 8th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BillJ

Greg Esres wrote:
What is the MSA on the approach chart?

No MSA on TAA RNAV approaches.

On the ILS, I think it's 2,500, due to a very tall tower north of the
airport.

MVA trumps MSA, and that is what was issued. Published 2800 would be
required if no radar.
Old August 9th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

BillJ wrote in newsk5Cg.15$H84.900
@eagle.america.net:

MVA trumps MSA, and that is what was issued. Published 2800 would be
required if no radar.

Once I am cleared for an approach, am I no longer under "vectors" but own
navigation?

In other words, MVA no longer is applicable since I am responsible for
executing the approach without vector instructions?

Allen
Old August 9th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Greg Esres

MVA trumps MSA, and that is what was issued. Published 2800 would be
required if no radar.

MSA is irrelevant, except in an emergency. And MVA only trumps the
2800 if being RADAR VECTORED to the final approach course. In this
case, the pilot was flying a non-radar procedure in a radar
environment. ATC should have given him no altitude below 2800.

Old August 9th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Old August 9th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Greg Esres wrote:

MVA trumps MSA, and that is what was issued. Published 2800 would be
required if no radar.

MSA is irrelevant, except in an emergency. And MVA only trumps the
2800 if being RADAR VECTORED to the final approach course. In this
case, the pilot was flying a non-radar procedure in a radar
environment. ATC should have given him no altitude below 2800.

Not so with this past February's AIM and ATC procedure change:

"AIM 5-4-7

i. ATC may clear aircraft that have filed an Advanced RNAV equipment
suffix to the intermediate fix when clearing aircraft for an instrument
approach procedure. ATC will take the following actions when clearing
Advanced RNAV aircraft to the intermediate fix:
1. Provide radar monitoring to the intermediate fix.
2. Advise the pilot to expect clearance direct to the intermediate fix
at least 5 miles from the fix.
NOTE-
This is to allow the pilot to program the RNAV equipment to allow the
aircraft to fly to the intermediate fix when cleared by ATC.
3. Assign an altitude to maintain until the intermediate fix.
4. Insure the aircraft is on a course that will intercept the
intermediate segment at an angle not greater than 90 degrees and is at
an altitude that will permit normal descent from the intermediate fix to
the final approach fix."

Item 1 "Radar Monitor" is the functional equivalent to a radar vector
for purposes of this provision. That was all explained in the preamble
to the change, which appeared in this news group a while back.
Old August 9th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Not so with this past February's AIM and ATC procedure change:

You informed me of this change a month or two ago, but that doesn't
change the fact that published altitudes apply after arriving at the
IF. An assigned altitutde below an intermediate segment altitude would
be an error, as I think you'd agree.

However, as I reviewed the original post, he said he was cleared to
DOCAP. In my mind, I pictured the right base entry, which is the one
that I usually make, but DOCAP is the IF/IAF and which makes it a
straight-in. The first published altitude IS (I think) 2,100, so the
controller didn't make an error after all. The 2,800 that the OP
mentioned was probably the straight in sector altitude, which becomes
irrelevant when cleared to the IF.

Old August 9th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Allen:

When I orginally read your post, I pictured you making a right base
entry to the procedure, even though you mentioned DOCAP. Anyway, my
reply was based on this incorrect mental image.

The published intermediate segment after DOCAP has a published altitude
of 2,100, so the controller's instruction was appropriate. The
published altitude prior to that fix is for the holding pattern course
reversal, which you were not required to perform coming from the
straight-in area.

Sorry for the confusion.