Tow Pilot Medical

Old September 9th 18, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

Default Tow Pilot Medical

It looks like a tow pilot can fly under a private pilots license. There are several stipulations, including needing to have 100 hours PIC in the same category aircraft, etc, etc.

Does anyone know about the medical requirements? I currently am using BasicMED, and have no current plans to get any other type of medical. The only reason I would potentially consider getting my commercial license would be to then get a CFI. You could theoretically earn the commercial license with just the BasicMED and not use the license for hire. Then you could earn the CFI and use the BasicMed to then act as a trainer.

I think my flying club requires a commercial license. But that is most likely to satisfy an insurance need, not an FAA need. Again, if you're not flying for compensation, you shouldnt need a second class medical. So I'm wondering about actually providing a tow to a fellow glider pilot.
Old September 11th 18, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PGS

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 9:13:14 PM UTC-4, John Huthmaker wrote:
[...]

Basic Med is fine for towing.
Old September 12th 18, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

As of Nov 3, 2010.

" SSA recently obtained a legal opinion from the FAA office of Chief Counsel stating that pilots who carry only a Private, Single Engine Land (SEL), pilot’s certificate may tow gliders or ultralights for compensation or hire. "

So a Private Pilot with a Basic Med medical may tow for compensation or hire at least as far as the FAA is concerned.

Brian

May have to be logged into SSA web site for link to work:
https://www.ssa.org/files/member/Pri...v5_2-27-11.doc