Softcomm panel mount intercom? Junk?

Old May 16th 05, 02:40 PM

Default Softcomm panel mount intercom? Junk?

I'm in the market for a 4 place panel mount, stereo intercom and am
looking at options. I understand installation is going to cost more
than the intercom so am thinking that a prewired harness would be a
good thing. Would really like to put in a PS Engineering or NAT
Intermusic, but by the time I buy a harness or have one built, etc it's
over $600 or $700 without installation.

Anybody have any experience with Softcomm panel mount intercoms? These
come with everything - harness, plugs, plates,etc, which would
significantly keep the cost down - especially if I at least run the
wires to the back seat myself. I know these are imported, but that's
not necessarily a knock anymore. I guess what I'm looking for is a
report from anyone with a Softcom panel mount as to any inherent flaws
or quirks. Avcomm looks like another possible choice, but theirs is
not stereo.

Old May 16th 05, 05:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Anybody have any experience with Softcomm panel mount intercoms?

A friend has it in their Europa homebuilt. It works. It has a good
price. It still doesn't get anywhere near a PSE.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 16th 05, 08:17 PM
Robert M. Gary

I have a softcomm and its fine. If I had to do it overagain, I'd get
one with split comm. My partner and I often fly together. It would be
nice if I could talk to FSS on comm2 while he talks to ATC on comm 1. I
have kids too so "crew" is important (allows my wife and I to talk but
takes the kids out).

-Robert

Old May 16th 05, 11:50 PM

snip
I know these are imported, but that's
not necessarily a knock anymore.

Imported? Last time I visited Softcomm (a stone's throw from my
tiedown at KCHD), I saw them being built on site.

Can't give you any info about the panel mount, but my 4 place
portable Softcomm has been working like new for the last 12 years. My
similarly aged Softcomm headsets are still working fine too. IMHO,
they make good quality products.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 17th 05, 03:04 AM
RST Engineering

What a bunch of jerks. You ask for a product review and precede it with a
prejudice that the product is junk. You all deserve what you get from this
sort of post.

Softcomm is not junk.
Nobody who sells intercoms sells junk.

Every design has its good points and its bad points. Designs are a
compromise to emphasize one point over another. You don't like this design?
Buy another one.

Junk we aren't.

Jim

Old May 17th 05, 04:04 AM

Jeez guy, give me a break. With the price of intercoms all over the
map I'm trying to get a feel for what I'm giving up if I opt for
something like the Softcomm as opposed to say a PSE or NAT for 3 times
the cost - or do I strike a compromise for something in the middle. As
a new owner I have have little frame of reference here and I can't
really go down to Best Buy and check them all out.
So before I buy the thing, then pay twice that to have it installed,
I'm just trying to get as much info as I can to make whatever kind of
informed decision I can.

I didn't say they were junk, just asking if they are because they are
so much cheaper than some of the other ones and if the adage about
getting what you pay for is true in this case, then t'm trying to get a
feel for what I'm giving up.

Just curious why instead of going off, you didn't take the opportunity
recommend your product..?

Old May 17th 05, 07:29 AM
RST Engineering

Because I try my level best to give my best impartial technical advice in
the newsgroups and stay away from pimping my products.

Jim

Old May 17th 05, 09:26 AM
Thomas Borchert

RST,

What a bunch of jerks. You ask for a product review and precede it with a
prejudice that the product is junk

Well, I count three replies, of which two judge the Softcomm to be fine,
while one says it is junk. What's your problem?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 17th 05, 04:51 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Thomas Borchert wrote:

while one says it is junk. What's your problem?

Which one was that? Ditto...
Old May 17th 05, 06:45 PM
Thomas Borchert

Darrel,

Which one was that?

Oops, you're right. Loks like the j-word was introduced by Mr. Weir
himself. Truly weir...d.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)