"When Thunder Rolled" review in ASPJ

Old March 15th 04, 10:40 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:14:02 -0500, "Brian"
wrote:

How much am I going to miss if I don't read the first book?

You're going to miss one of the best combat yarns ever published--any
service, any nation, any war.

www.warbirdforum.com/thunder.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 15th 04, 12:12 PM
Stephen Harding

Ed Rasimus wrote:

strange cult of "fighter pilotry" with excesses of ritual, drinking
and sex. There's some of that, a lot of flying missions, and some more

Hmmm. "Fighter pilots", "sex", "drinking".

I fear there may be nothing "new" in this book either!

[ OK, got one left, probably better use it he ;^) ]

SMH

Old March 15th 04, 03:43 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:12:31 -0500, Stephen Harding
wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:

strange cult of "fighter pilotry" with excesses of ritual, drinking
and sex. There's some of that, a lot of flying missions, and some more

Hmmm. "Fighter pilots", "sex", "drinking".

I fear there may be nothing "new" in this book either!

[ OK, got one left, probably better use it he ;^) ]

Well, the working title that is on the contract with Smithsonian Books
is "Polyester Party Suits, Platform Shoes and Prostitutes."

That isn't what will finally show up.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old March 15th 04, 03:49 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:

strange cult of "fighter pilotry" with excesses of ritual, drinking
and sex. There's some of that, a lot of flying missions, and some more

Hmmm. "Fighter pilots", "sex", "drinking".

I fear there may be nothing "new" in this book either!

[ OK, got one left, probably better use it he ;^) ]

Well, the working title that is on the contract with Smithsonian Books
is "Polyester Party Suits, Platform Shoes and Prostitutes."

That isn't what will finally show up.

Isn't it about time you sent me a signed copy of the first book?

Old March 15th 04, 04:25 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:49:35 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .

Well, the working title that is on the contract with Smithsonian Books
is "Polyester Party Suits, Platform Shoes and Prostitutes."

That isn't what will finally show up.

Isn't it about time you sent me a signed copy of the first book?

Why would you want to read it? Remember all those posts over the years
in which you expounded on the falsity of my ever having been an F-105
pilot?

Strangely enough, even the author has to pay for books. I'm happy to
sign and send to folks, but I do require payment.

Old March 15th 04, 06:16 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:49:35 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .

Well, the working title that is on the contract with Smithsonian Books
is "Polyester Party Suits, Platform Shoes and Prostitutes."

That isn't what will finally show up.

Isn't it about time you sent me a signed copy of the first book?

Why would you want to read it? Remember all those posts over the years
in which you expounded on the falsity of my ever having been an F-105
pilot?

You tricked me by claiming the J-75 and it's AB are integrated like the F-4.
I can't help it if you posted up something false and then could not back off
of it.

Besides that, it was a long time ago and you can afford to be gracious.
(famous pliot's club) I remember when Ed produced some of the most boreing
posts at ram, but watching his development here I expect his next book to be
far more entertaining than the last one.

Strangely enough, even the author has to pay for books. I'm happy to
sign and send to folks, but I do require payment.

You just don't love me enough.

Old March 15th 04, 07:31 PM
Dennis Phelan

I haven't finished the book yet.
I worked the Korat flightline from Nov65 to Nov66 as a fire control
tech. In that time I probably worked on Ed's plane at least once. Some
of the things that I recall, he points out. Nothing new in those, but
there are many more insights into the pilots life that we never saw or
understood that are new to me even after years of reading.

New in the book for me, I watched a 105 that had the tail wrapped in
flames fly off the end of the runway and always thought that the pilot
had died when he dropped into the crash site. Good news, he lived! The
guys in my shop all knew the original mission of the plane and the use
of he radar in that role. We though pilots only wrote up radar
malfunctions to keep a plane on the ground so that other needed
repairs could be completed. I only hope more pilots used it in the way
that he did, makes me feel good! They even used the terrain avoidance
radar, wow!

We always took sight system problems seriously, we took it all
serious. Always glad to help the comm/nav guys. Ed, Glad to have
helped!
Old March 15th 04, 07:46 PM
Cub Driver

Strangely enough, even the author has to pay for books.

There is a basic disconnect between the writer and his friends.

The friends think that the proof ofr friendship is a presentation
copy, while the author thinks that the proof ought to be their buying
a copy.

Old March 16th 04, 09:29 PM
Steve

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:43:20 -0700, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

Hmmm. "Fighter pilots", "sex", "drinking".

I fear there may be nothing "new" in this book either!

[ OK, got one left, probably better use it he ;^) ]

Well, the working title that is on the contract with Smithsonian Books
is "Polyester Party Suits, Platform Shoes and Prostitutes."

OK Ed, we want photo's!

--
Steve.