More sad news

Old July 28th 19, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default More sad news

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-left-two-dead

Deepest sympathies to the families.
Old July 28th 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Sorta sucks for the loss.....
sympathies (sp) to everyone involved.

Bad for everyone.

Best wishes to everyone......
Old July 28th 19, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Very sad indeed. Also sad are the ever present followup comments that are always made about how experienced and how safe so and so pilot was, how they were always the most concientious fliers etc. Bottom line is someone always screws the pooch. All it takes is a moments inattention and tragedy awaits.
Old July 28th 19, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 4:45:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Very sad indeed. Also sad are the ever present followup comments that are always made about how experienced and how safe so and so pilot was, how they were always the most concientious fliers etc. Bottom line is someone always screws the pooch. All it takes is a moments inattention and tragedy awaits.

This is troubling, towplane and glider collide, not good. I fly both ends of the rope, there is never a single second that I always know where the released glider is. This is a high wing towplane, makes for better visibility after release than the Pawnee that we use. Even on pattern tows I go like hell to make sure I beat the glider to base and land well ahead of the glider. A few seconds can make a lot of difference in separation.
Old July 29th 19, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

My condolences to the family and friends.
Old July 29th 19, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Bob:
I also fly both ends of the rope and while rare events, such accidents can happen and have happened before. There was a non fatal tow plane/glider collision 11 years ago in Nevada that is filed at NTSB LAX08LA254A. Both aircraft landed.

Still, this was an unspeakably sad event for the families and all involved. They have my best wishes.
ROY
Old July 29th 19, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

There was one at Williams too more recently. In the landing pattern. Will be interesting to learn more about the details in this incident.
Old July 29th 19, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

The other fatal mid air with tow plane happened in Crazy Creek 10 years ago, not Williams.
Mid air with tow planes are rare but happen and usually tragic with multiple fatalities.
There was another bad fatal mid air between a glider and power plane in Canada few years ago.
Overall, mid airs are not so rare and the combination of powerflarm and ADS-B significantly reduces the overall risk. I fly with both and wouldn’t want to fly in a glider without it. I am shaking my head in disbelief whenever I see a glider without powerflarm in the Great Basin risking all of us who use powerflarm.
My comments are not specific for this accident. I have no details about this accident and if powerflarm/ADS-B would have made a difference, especially if they collided due to getting out of position.
My condolences to all impacted, which is the whole gliding community to some extent. It is especially tragic when a passenger/student get killed (18 years old this time!), and this happen too often in the last couple of years..

Ramy
Old July 29th 19, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 9:09:02 AM UTC-5, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-left-two-dead

Deepest sympathies to the families.

The Minnesota Soaring Club had a mid-air at Stanton between their tow plane and a glider about 2 months ago. Luckily, both aircraft were able to land, and there were no injuries.
Old July 29th 19, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Glider releases, does a right 360° Tow plane does a left 360° I've seen this so many times. They end up back to the same spot. It is often taught this way. Neither plane can see the other until it's too late. Each plane should only do a 20° turn and the glider should be able to keep sight of the tow plane until it is well below the glider. When neither of the pilots can see the other plane, and they are both doing a 360° it is bound to end badly... We need to teach the glider pilots to keep an eye on the tow until it is below us. I don't know if this is what happened in this tragic accident, but it sounds like it might be the case?

Boggs