Least favorite ATC instructions... ... ...

Old January 14th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Least favorite ATC instructions... ... ...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

How does the controller know when the weather is below minimums for any
particular operation? If the controller is going to be hung to dry in the
event of a mishap if he doesn't state "at your own risk", then to cover
his ass he'd have to state it whenever the weather drops below the highest
user minima, which may still be above what's required for the arriving
aircraft. Seems to me it'd be better to just state the latest weather
information. I'd expect the pilot is going to ask for it anyway when told
"at your own risk."

I believe that it only applies when the weather is below the minimums for
the lowest applicable approach to the field--that was the case both times I
received that clearance. Also, now that you remind me, both times, the
clearance included the weather in the same transmission: "call sign,
weather is ____________, cleared to land rwy XX, land at your own risk."

--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight

Old January 14th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

Controllers at military fields are required to issue a wheels down check,
there's no exemption for fixed-gear aircraft. I belonged to a USAF Aero
Club almost thirty years ago.

Interesting. I had been told that the "gear down" report was a new
requirement when I was in pilot training; however, if you operated under it
almost 30 years ago, it was hardly "new," it was ~15 or so years old at the
time. I was apparently misinformed on the origins of that requirement....

Old January 15th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

My favorite?

"Katana 227RD, there is a Cessna in your assigned taxiway. I'm going to
have him taxi onto the far corner of the runway, see if you can't sneak
past him."

This was after we had received landing instructions to follow the
runway to the end and use the last taxiway. Apparently after he gave
that instruction, the controller had someone else taxi to the hold
short line on that same taxiway.

My instructor said, and I quote, "I've never had to do this before", as
we inched pased the Cessna 182 with about 4 feet to spare.

Happened yesterday at SUS, there were calm winds so they were taking
off and landing in both directions (whichever was convenient).