Ban privately-owned PLANES

Old October 12th 06, 11:29 PM posted to talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.aviation.misc

Default Ban privately-owned PLANES

B1ackwater wrote:
I can see requiring some extra training, maybe some
minor security check, before letting Joe Pilot fly
his Piper through the middle of NYC.

You mean SPECIAL protection for the rich of Upper Manhattan - while
the rest of us get the fallout (literally) of planes flown by private
pilots who barely can fly? Because that's what you imply! Let any
rich idiot who can afford much more plane than he can handle safely fly
it over the nobodies - as that Kennedy heir did - as long as he doesn't
drop his mishandled boy toy onto those rich people in Manhattan.

Old October 13th 06, 03:22 PM posted to talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.aviation.misc
Beavis[_1_]

In article ,
"NrDg" wrote:

For legal purposes not flying part 135 air taxi or 121 airline is amateur
flying even if the pilot has a commercial or ATP rating.

That's the single most ridiculous thing I've read this week.

You're telling me that a pilot for, say, Netjets, who flies various
business jets under Part 91 all over the world, is engaging in "amateur
flying" when he goes to work? That's news to the nearly 3,000 pilots
who work there.

I looked up "amateur" in the dictionary, and folks who make their living
as non-121/135 pilots don't fit any definition of "amateur" I've ever
heard of. Here's the definition, in case you're unfamiliar:

amateur

n.
Old October 13th 06, 03:45 PM posted to talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.aviation.misc
Ron Natalie

Beavis wrote:
In article ,

3. One lacking the skill of a professional, as in an art.

I try to be professional about my flying. I just don't do it
as a career.
Old October 13th 06, 07:37 PM posted to talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.aviation.misc
B1ackwater

On 12 Oct 2006 15:29:28 -0700, "
wrote:

B1ackwater wrote:
I can see requiring some extra training, maybe some
minor security check, before letting Joe Pilot fly
his Piper through the middle of NYC.

You mean SPECIAL protection for the rich of Upper Manhattan - while
the rest of us get the fallout (literally) of planes flown by private
pilots who barely can fly?

Actually, I meant the entire NY (Boston/Jersey/Baltimore/DC/
Atlanta/Jacksonville/Orlando/Miami/Tampa/New Orleans/Chigago/
Houston/ Denver/Phoenix/LA/SanFran/Seattle/etc) urban areas ...
not JUST the parts that belong to 'rich people'. If there's
pretty much no place to land that won't put you through
SOMEBODYS roof then I'd advocate special training and
licencing. Doesn't have to be super-severe ... but it needs
to be addressed.

So take your class war crap and shove it where crap belongs.

Old October 14th 06, 06:26 AM posted to talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc,misc.survivalism,rec.aviation.misc
Blanche Cohen

Class B DEN -- is out in the middle of nowhere, nothing urban anywhere
around, 20 miles from downtown Denver. Almost entirely agriculture in
the 10miles around it, what's better known as "Area of Influence".

As for "special training", I always thought that's what I learned in
my ASEL training.

And as for flying a piper thru downtown NYC, have you bothered to take
a look at the flight paths to JFK from the west? Directly over
the center of Manhattan. In fact, if you examine the flight paths
of most aircraft coming/going to Class B airports (again, DEN is
an exception due to its location) you'll find almost every aircraft
is routed directly over high-density population areas. LAX, from the
west, doesn't have quite as severe a problem (ocean, you know).