Instrument Check Ride - What navigation equipment can I use ?

Old December 4th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

Default Instrument Check Ride - What navigation equipment can I use ?

Well, it was you who asked me to split them out into more realistic categories. I gave it my best shot as a first pass. This type of stuff in reality is done carefully by a group of informed people.

.... and those "informed people" came up with what we have, with which
you take issue.

The real point of it all is the wildly permissive apsect of noncommercial IFR departures not having to pay any heed to the minimums and procedures developed to protect their butts. We don't let this happen with IFR approaches.

.... which was also devised by "well informed people". I am in favor of
higher standards for commercial operations. This means that I am in
favor of =lower= standards for non-commercial operations. (Oh, gosh
golly, how can I ever be in favor of =lower= standards!) I am in favor
of allowing the Pilot In Command a high level of discretion. He's the
one whose ass is on the line. I also am aware that no rule can cover
all situations, which means that sometimes **** will happen, no matter
what rules are in place.

Your proposal seems to stem from ONE (bad) event. Mine stems from a
million (good) events.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old December 5th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Alan Gerber

Sam Spade wrote:
The controller exceeded his authority in even doing that. Had he
mentioned the tower he would have been disregarding directives about not
telling the pilot what to do that would be unrelated to traffic separation.

Are you sure that's all the controller is allowed to tell a pilot?

How about weather, terrain alerts, gear-up warnings? Progressive taxi
instructions? Vectors for lost pilots?

.... Alan

--
Alan Gerber