Famous people

Old December 2nd 04, 03:54 AM
vincent p. norris

I couldn't imagine that light aircraft are as safe as a 747
and ultralights got to be somewhat less than that.

Is a 747 "safer" than a J-3, or is it FLOWN more safely?

There's very little to go wrong in a J-3, and not much more in a
Cherokee or Cessna 172. In an emergency, they can be landed almost
anywhere. The accident reports show pretty clearly, I think, that GA
aircraft accidents are the fault of the pilot, not the airplane.

I suspect the same is true of ultralights.

vince norris
Old December 2nd 04, 02:53 PM
Trent Moorehead

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message

They are just people like
you and I, just a different tax bracket how would you like it to be

bothered
every ware you go?

I agree that they are just people, but they also have to realize that they
owe their success to the buying public. Hey, if you saw Indiana Jones at the
theater, rented it, or bought the boxed set, some of your money is sitting
in Mr. Ford's bank account right now or is invested into a piece of
property.

If you don't like to be hounded and recognized everywhere you go, don't get
into the entertainment business (which includes pro sports). It simply is
part of the job. My sympathies are with those who are thrust into the public
eye against their will, not with the stars whose popularity makes them rich,
but aren't willing to deal with the other side of that coin. Some stars
handle this well, some don't.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old December 2nd 04, 03:55 PM
Bill Denton

Having been, albeit at a modest level, on both sides of that fence, may I
mention a few things?

Even the biggest stars sometimes have to make a quick run to the convenience
store for a loaf of bread, and sometimes they have to do it right in the
middle of a fight with their husband or wife, their agent, or whomever. Or
they might have gotten a traffic ticket on the way to the store.

I think most of us can understand how they might not be at their most
personable in the checkout line. While stars may be rich and famous,
underneath all of that they have the same responsibilities and worries as
the rest of us.

So let me pass along a few tips for those who might want an autograph or a
pictu

Walk up to the star at a normal pace, and stop at a respectful distance, 3
or 4 feet away. Unfortunately, in our society, many high-profile people are
faced with constant threats from stalkers or other mentally unbalanced
people. Run up and jump on a stars lap and you can rest assured that you are
not going to get an autograph; at best you will probably have a very
unpleasant encounter with a very large bodyguard or the police.

Respect a stars privacy. If they are out with their kids, or just having a
quiet meal, don't disturb them. You wouldn't want someone stopping you every
five seconds under those circumstances, they don't either.

It's okay to approach and start a simple conversation, but leave it open
ended. Start with something like: "Mr. Ford, I really enjoyed your last
movie", or "Ms. Zellweger, I loved you in the Bridget Jones movies". If they
reply with nothing more than "thank you" or "thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed
it" and turn back to what they are doing, just walk away and be satisfied
that you got to the see them, at least. But if they say something like: "I
see you have a camera, would you like a picture?" or "would you like an
autograph for your future grandchildren?", feel free to take advantage of
the opportunity. But be respectful of other people who might also want a
minute with the star, don't hog the stars time.

Most stars are constantly aware that without their fans, they wouldn't have
their fame and fortune, and a certain amount of contact with their fans is
part of the bargain. But keep in mind, while some stars are nothing more
than assholes, they do have to deal with all of the day to day problems the
rest of us do. They're entitled to a bad day every now and then just like
the rest of us.

And keep in mind, the only thing a star REALLY owes his or her fans is a
performance worthy of the price the fan paid for it...

Old December 2nd 04, 05:06 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
Having been, albeit at a modest level, on both sides of that fence, may I
mention a few things?

snip

Good points. I show respect to folks in hopes it will be recipricated,
regardless of their tax bracket. I saw Howie Long in a shopping center last
year. I left him alone. He also looked fairly surly (read: ****ed), harried,
and is a BIG guy. I don't think I would have made him too happy by saying
hello, but I could've be wrong about that. Perhaps that's just what he
needed, a nice hello, but I wasn't willing to risk an angry rebuke from this
guy. I also felt that he deserved to be left alone while shopping.

Bob Dylan said we all have to serve somebody. Regardless of how successful
we are, it's always good to reflect on where our riches come from and who
has helped us along. It's a good way to lead your life and it's good
business too.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old December 3rd 04, 01:54 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:55:21 -0600, "Bill Denton"
wrote:

Run up and jump on a stars lap and you can rest assured that you are
not going to get an autograph;

I was watching the "Tonight Show" one night when Johnny Carson was the
host. He was asked about being a celebrity by someone and he laughed
and told about how one time he was in a public restroom and was peeing
in a urinal when a guy doing the same thing the next urinal over says:
"Hey, you Johnny Carson? Can I get your autograph?" The guy did not
get his autograph.

Corky Scott