G.A. is healthy ?

Old June 19th 04, 02:43 AM
tony zambon

Default G.A. is healthy ?

according to the aopa website boyer is quoted as saying that ga is healthy.
huh? I have been flying since 69 and I have not seen ga under attack on so
many fronts as today. The average ga fleet is 30 some years old, you dont
see kids at the airport anymore, most of the pilots are us older types, you
got TFR's and hard to get insurance. airports are under attack from the
noise nazi's, maintaince costs are going through the roof. The list goes on
and on. I for one don't thing it is even close to being healthy, how about
you?

tony zambon
grumman 9941L

Old June 19th 04, 04:36 AM
Dave Stadt

"tony zambon" wrote in message
.. .
according to the aopa website boyer is quoted as saying that ga is

healthy.
huh? I have been flying since 69 and I have not seen ga under attack on

so
many fronts as today. The average ga fleet is 30 some years old,

I love old airplanes. The older the better.

you dont
see kids at the airport anymore,

The airport I fly out of is full of kids.

most of the pilots are us older types, you
got TFR's

TFRs suck.

and hard to get insurance.

Never had a problem getting insurance. My rates drop most every year.

airports are under attack from the
noise nazi's,

Not where I fly.

maintaince costs are going through the roof.

Get involved and help/do your own maintenance. My maintenance costs have
been minimal on a 56 year old airplane.

The airport I fly out of is building 58 new hangars. They sold almost
immediately. That's pretty healthy.

The list goes on
and on. I for one don't thing it is even close to being healthy, how about
you?

Read some old magazines. You will find the same complaints going back to
the 1930s. Same story different day.

tony zambon
grumman 9941L

Old June 22nd 04, 08:58 PM
C Kingsbury

What we need is a very large increase in the volume of student starts
and completions. I think Sport Pilot is the key to realizing this.

Figuring 20-30 hours needed to get someone licensed, you could
realistically have people earning a license in about two weeks ab
initio. I imagine we will see schools in places like Florida or New
Mexico that will offer packages that a busy person could fit into on a
vacation.

Availability of new, manufactured aircraft at significantly lower cost
will make it easier for new pilots to keep flying. This is to my mind
an even bigger issue than student starts. It's awful to have someone
go through the trouble and expense of earning a PPL and then not use
it, but all evidence indicates this happens quite a lot.

More people flying means more demand for airports means more people
acquainted with recreational flying means more good things for
everyone with wings.

Then, of all the people who go Sport Pilot, I'll bet we see a minimum
of 25% upgrading to PPLs within two years. These will be people who
enjoy flying and want to move up to bigger and faster and more capable
aircraft. It will be much easier for someone to start as a Sport
Pilot, enjoy that for a year or two, then step up to 172s or
Cherokees. I suspect in the long run we will see the emergence of a
combined PPL/IR approach, which really makes more sense, since most of
the learning is focused on navigation and communication anyway. Plus
this will really represent a big step up in capabilities for the pilot
and make the effort worthwhile.

Finally, if we can build up a meaningfully larger community of IFR
pilots, we'll see what happens when you get a high-volume, competitive
marketplace. Look at how much boat you get for $150k, often with a ton
of electronics, a lot more moving parts, two large engines, and a
furnished interior. GA aircraft will always be more expensive but
there's a lot of room for economies of scale to improve things. But
first we need more pilots.

Best,
-cwk.