TV Interview With Pilot From ADIZ Incident

Old May 25th 05, 04:54 AM
Dave Stadt

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Jim Burns wrote:

Along those lines.... I had a friend, a PPL, non instrument rated that

had a
172, infact, he was the influence that got me interested in flying.

Fully
capable of doing the PIC job, over 1000 hours at the time, I never had a
reason to doubt it, until one trip.

After I got my PPL and then my IR, we and our wives took a trip

together,
his airplane, he as PIC for the whole trip. However, I also planned it,
both ways, there and back, and carried my charts and plates along "just

in
case".

Before our trip home, he got the weather and filed VFR. I also got the
weather and noted the FA at home called for increasing cloudiness and
lowering ceilings.

We took off and headed out. The weather was just as forecast. Ceilings
started to come down, so he descended. Up ahead it was obvious that a

lower
layer was also coming in below us. His solution?? "We'll just stay

here
(VFR) between layers then circle down over the interstate and follow it
home." He couldn't hold altitude within 500 feet while we were between
layers.

That was when the flight became MY responsibility, even though I was not

PIC
and was just a passenger, I became PIC and relieved him of his
"responsibility". I called center, filed IFR, flew the rest of the way
home, shot the approach down to about 800 ft AGL. Everybody agreed that

was
better than flying 300 miles following the interstate at 800 agl.

Sometimes it pays to do what you can instead of just what is required.

The
concept of PIC does not relinquish another person from the

responsibility
they have to themselves and their family. The PIC is in charge of the
flight, no doubt, but I'm still in charge of me and when my

responsibilities
to myself and my family conflict with another persons responsibilities

as
PIC, I'd rather be prepared to offer the PIC alternatives.

And just how was a student pilot to "assume PIC" when it wasn't legal
for him to do so?

Your situation above isn't anything like the DC situation. It sounds
from the reports that the student did get involved reasonably
appropriately, then again none of us were in the cockpit to know exactly
who did what when.

Matt

It could be the student pilot questioned the PIC frequently although some
here are too closed minded to even consider that possibility.

Old May 25th 05, 05:18 AM
Dave Stadt

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Guillermo" wrote

Now, I wonder what would have happened in case both people had been

pilots.
Will they suspend both? Technically only one of the pilots is the PIC,

and
I've been told that it is a good idea to agree on that before a flight

(who
is the PIC), but I wonder who would they charge in that case?

It seems to me that charges could also be filed, for letting a non pilot
manipulate the controls. Since the 70 year old is not a CFI, the student

is
just the same as a non pilot, and if he (the student) was PIC, he would be
in violation for taking a passenger with him. Both of these are against
regs, aren't they?
--
Jim in NC

Anybody can manipulate the controls and just because you are manipulating
the controls does not mean you are PIC.

Old May 25th 05, 11:45 AM
Greg Farris

I don't really think we can judge the man on the basis of the video
interview. The highly publicized incident caught the attention of the
fancy lawyer, and from there on the man is a marionette. Of course he will
not admit having done anything wrong. For all we know, he is remorseful
and wishes he could just fess up and take the medecine he deserves.

The next thing we'll see is him (through the silk suit on his right)
sueing Cessna for inadequate guidance systems on his 40 year-old 152. And
winning!

G Faris

Old May 25th 05, 02:20 PM
Bob Fry

"GD" == Gary Drescher writes:

GD "Bob Fry" wrote in
GD message ...
I wonder if the student was going to try to log the time?

GD As what? There's no provision for logging time as a passenger.

Exactly.

While we'll never know what arrangement the pilot and student had,
look at what the pilot stated on the TV interview: that the student
was doing all the flying, even after the intercepts, while the pilot
spent his time fiddling with the radio. It sure sounds like the
student intended to log some time, but again, we'll never really
know.
Old May 25th 05, 02:59 PM
Guillermo

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Guillermo" wrote

Now, I wonder what would have happened in case both people had been

pilots.
Will they suspend both? Technically only one of the pilots is the PIC,

and
I've been told that it is a good idea to agree on that before a flight

(who
is the PIC), but I wonder who would they charge in that case?

It seems to me that charges could also be filed, for letting a non pilot
manipulate the controls. Since the 70 year old is not a CFI, the student

is
just the same as a non pilot, and if he (the student) was PIC, he would be
in violation for taking a passenger with him. Both of these are against
regs, aren't they?

Where does it say that the PIC has to be manipulating the controls?
Student cannot be PIC, but can manipulate the controls, right?

Old May 25th 05, 03:00 PM
John T

Greg Farris wrote:

I don't really think we can judge the man on the basis of the video
interview. The highly publicized incident caught the attention of the
fancy lawyer, and from there on the man is a marionette. Of course he
will not admit having done anything wrong. For all we know, he is
remorseful and wishes he could just fess up and take the medecine he
deserves.

We can judge him on his actions. His flight through the DC ADIZ alone is
reason to judge him, but keep in mind his lawyer works for him. If he's not
man enough to control his own lawyer, it's all the more reason I'd rather
not have him in a cockpit. If he's remorseful, he needs to express it. In
the meantime, he *is* getting his medicine.

The next thing we'll see is him (through the silk suit on his right)
sueing Cessna for inadequate guidance systems on his 40 year-old 152.
And winning!

Believable, but doubtful nonetheless.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old May 25th 05, 03:12 PM

Why do you believe the student intended to log the time? Just because
he was manipulating the controls? I'm not a pilot, or even a student
pilot - but I have done the majority of flying (operating the controls)
on many flights. I have never had any intention of logging that time,
and I have no reason to believe the student pilot in this case intended
to log his time. The student wasn't even flying with a CFI, so who are
you thinking was going to sign off on that logged time? Let's keep the
blame where it belongs in this case - with the PIC.

-Patrick

Old May 25th 05, 04:15 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Your situation above isn't anything like the DC situation. It sounds
from the reports that the student did get involved reasonably
appropriately, then again none of us were in the cockpit to know exactly
who did what when.

It could be the student pilot questioned the PIC frequently although some
here are too closed minded to even consider that possibility.

Could be they were giving each other hand jobs. Could be.

Hey, could be they were both napping.

Now don't be too closed minded about those possibilities.

Old May 25th 05, 06:33 PM
RNR

On 24 May 2005 13:26:09 -0700, "Peter R." wrote:

Robert wrote:

What a total waste of life.

Not too strong of a statement, is that?

I doubt very much his family and friends think he is a waste of life.
His piloting skills are obviously questionable, as well as the fact
that he is not admitting any responsibility (thanks, no doubt, to that
high priced lawyer sitting next to him in the interview), but to say he
is a total waste of life is just a bit over the top, no?

I got the distinct impression that the lawyer was the one that
orchestrated the interview. One certainly could not confuse Matt
Lauer with Chris Matthews.
Rich Russell
Old May 25th 05, 07:12 PM
George Patterson

Guillermo wrote:

If I had done that, and had gotten only a one year
suspension, I'd be more than willing to accept that and be very happy about
it.

I'm with you. In fact, if I ever screwed up that badly, I would give some
serious thought to just hanging it up.

About the student pilot, I don't really know how he didn't think about that
either. 30 hours is not that little.

Maybe. We don't know the circumstances of his training or how far along he got.
Due to problems getting a medical certificate, I didn't even solo until I had
over 40, and he may be in the same boat. Last time I heard, the average number
of hours to get a PPC was over 70. It's quite possible that he knew nothing
about Xcountry flight planning and just followed along with the planning that
Schaeffer was doing.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.