Scat Cylinder Heads

Old January 26th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

Default Scat Cylinder Heads

Does anyone have any experience with Scat cylinder heads on an aircraft.

They appear to have a larger cooling area, and are designed for cooling high
output VWs.

http://www.scatvw.com/CH_Home.htm

Old January 26th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 25, 6:58*pm, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

They appear to have a larger cooling area, and are designed for cooling high
output VWs.

Actually, they've got less. As in, a LOT LESS. Measure them. Then
measure a stock head. Surprise! :-)

-Bob
Old January 27th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 25, 7:41*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 25, 6:58*pm, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

They appear to have a larger cooling area, and are designed for cooling high
output VWs.

Actually, they've got less. *As in, a LOT LESS. *Measure them. *Then
measure a stock head. *Surprise! :-)

There's bags of information out there about these heads, from their
inception to their ultimate use on the drag strip. But when someone
who has failed to do any basic research on a topic then fails to
provide a valid email address, it forces others to take the time to
repeat what has already appeared. Personally, I've stopped trying to
help such people, having taken on a more than full-time load trying to
come up to date on my cancer situation. If they are too important --
or whatever -- to use a valid email address, I'm too important -- or
whatever -- to waste my time on them. And being a parrot IS a waste.

-R.S.Hoover

Old January 27th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

wrote in message
On Jan 25, 7:41 pm, " wrote:
[...]

First of all, if you want someone's email address, why don't you just ask
for it? Being an asshole is very counterproductive. Like many others, the
reason I don't "fly" a valid email address is spam, but I have never failed
to cheerfully give mine to anyone that asks.

As for the bag of information out there on Scat heads, I could give a ****
less. You have been clamering around for weeks now, whining about the woes
of making your own cylinder head, so I thought I would mention it. If you
don't like, I don't care why, I don't need a bedtime story.

As for help, I don't really need yours. Everything I have offered you was to
assist your efforts, including offers to send you free samples of
professional use materials, and help you locate low cost quailty metals. If
I wanted to make a cylinder head, I would do so, as I have been doing such
things professionally for many, many years.

I would also caution not only you, but anyone else interested in your
project. You make a LOT of statements and assumptions that are nothing short
of dead wrong, and demonstrate the severity of your inexperience with metal
casting. You and your followers will discover in the months and years ahead.
If someone is considering following the advice of you or your buddy Stealth,
I hope they have plenty of time and money to waste on the project, because
learning metal casting by trial and error is a very lenghty, costly and most
often fruitless endeavor.

Old January 28th 09, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 27, 4:53*pm, "Maxwell" #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote:

I hope they have plenty of time and money to waste on the project, because
learning metal casting by trial and error is a very lenghty, costly and most
often fruitless endeavor.

???????? Who said anything about trial and eerror? Resources abound
for the budding amateur, and Veebuber is providing a service to this
group by exposing many to the FACT that this skill is within the grasp
of most aviation homebuilders.

I would also caution not only you, but anyone else interested in your

project. You make a LOT of statements and assumptions that are nothing
short
of dead wrong

If he is in error in some factual way please take the time to educate
us all.

Metal casting is like a LOT of things we do/learn. The basics are
simple and the learning of same swift.

Granted, to perfect ones skill in the art, casting or any other, could
well consume a lifetime.

We have no need of that level of mastery to safely make usable hobby
castings.

Being able to make simple castings could be a handy skill for some
homebuilt aircraft owners/builders as there are several out of
production kits that use aluminum castings that are no longer
available. BD-5 and Sadler Vampire being 2 I can think of quickly
that use castings in the landing gear.

Veeduber has given generously of his time trying to pass on to the VW
homebuilding clan the benefit of his years of accumulated wisdom.
(I've been around VW's long enough to know a master when I see one.
He is one.) So if your expertise lies in the field of casting maybe
you'd be willing to share? I know I have more to learn when it comes
to hot aluminum ....... and VW's.
=======================
Leon McAtee
(DEAD e-mail addy, but the resourceful can find the new one)
Old January 30th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stef

Succesfully too ! Check out these Swedish heads http://www.jpmotorsport.se/e/ms230.htm
Old January 30th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

"stef" wrote in message

On 28 Éáí, 03:35, "
wrote:

Veeduber has given generously of his time trying to pass on to the VW
homebuilding clan the benefit of his years of accumulated wisdom.

Succesfully too ! Check out these Swedish heads
http://www.jpmotorsport.se/e/ms230.htm

I have no idea how well these heads perform relative to horsepower or
cooling, but that's the way to make them. Cast the head with the combustion
chambers, ports and rocker pan, and machine cooling fins to any level of
detail desired.

Old January 30th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stef

Maybe I ‘m in the wrong place, but we are all allowed to dream, aren’t
we ?
The recent head activity was so intense I decided I found the blog of
my life, a living proof of what good men can do together. Fat fin
heads – we could even start a blog dedicated to engine bay and cooling
system mods for our highway huggers …

Maybe I ’ll never fly in front of my vw ( Skylark) but I sure won’t
loose any sleep or any money over some golden market heads either.
That’s flying Bob Hoover airlines.

I can’t welcome you aboard Maxie, but don’t let that stop you !

Please allow me to introduce myself – another time – perhaps.
Old January 30th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell[_2_]

"stef" wrote in message

Maybe I ‘m in the wrong place, but we are all allowed to dream, aren’t
we ?
The recent head activity was so intense I decided I found the blog of
my life, a living proof of what good men can do together. Fat fin
heads – we could even start a blog dedicated to engine bay and cooling
system mods for our highway huggers …

Maybe I ’ll never fly in front of my vw ( Skylark) but I sure won’t
loose any sleep or any money over some golden market heads either.
That’s flying Bob Hoover airlines.

I can’t welcome you aboard Maxie, but don’t let that stop you !

Please allow me to introduce myself – another time – perhaps.

I don't follow you stef, did you think I was criticizing your link?