Take to the Grass

Old August 14th 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Default Take to the Grass

Doing a couple of patterns this morning, before the heat was
overwhelming, I heard another plane - a C140? in the pattern calling
downwind for a 17 grass landing. This was a first, so I looked at
what was going on: to the right of the hard runway, was fresh mown grass.
And a taildragger, making a pretty landing. So I asked how it was, and
hearing the grass was smooth, decided I should renew acquaintance with
the green. And remembered for the first time in twenty years,
the rumble of wheels on grass. Sweet!

Brian W
Old August 14th 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flaps_50!

On Aug 15, 8:42*am, brian whatcott wrote:
Doing a couple of patterns this morning, before the heat was
overwhelming, I heard another plane - a C140? in the pattern calling
downwind for a 17 grass landing. This was a first, so I looked at
what was going on: to the right of the hard runway, was fresh mown grass.
And a taildragger, making a pretty landing. So I asked how it was, and
hearing the grass was smooth, decided I should renew acquaintance with
the green. * *And remembered for the first time in twenty years,
the rumble of wheels on grass. Sweet!

No grass for 20 years? No wonder you are cranky ;-)

Cheers
Old August 15th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
brian whatcott wrote:

Doing a couple of patterns this morning, before the heat was
overwhelming, I heard another plane - a C140? in the pattern calling
downwind for a 17 grass landing. This was a first, so I looked at
what was going on: to the right of the hard runway, was fresh mown grass.
And a taildragger, making a pretty landing. So I asked how it was, and
hearing the grass was smooth, decided I should renew acquaintance with
the green. And remembered for the first time in twenty years,
the rumble of wheels on grass. Sweet!

Brian W

Just remember what the hippies always used to say, "There's nothing like
good grass." ;)

Old August 15th 10, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

On 8/14/2010 7:35 PM, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In articleoJednVi9LbEzYvvRnZ2dnUVZ5rydnZ2d@giganews. com,
brian wrote:

Doing a couple of patterns this morning, before the heat was
overwhelming, I heard another plane - a C140? in the pattern calling
downwind for a 17 grass landing. This was a first, so I looked at
what was going on: to the right of the hard runway, was fresh mown grass.
And a taildragger, making a pretty landing. So I asked how it was, and
hearing the grass was smooth, decided I should renew acquaintance with
the green. And remembered for the first time in twenty years,
the rumble of wheels on grass. Sweet!

Brian W

Just remember what the hippies always used to say, "There's nothing like
good grass." ;)

Two great minds with a single thought! :-)

Old August 16th 10, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Aug 14, 4:42*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
Doing a couple of patterns this morning, before the heat was
overwhelming, I heard another plane - a C140? in the pattern calling
downwind for a 17 grass landing. This was a first, so I looked at
what was going on: to the right of the hard runway, was fresh mown grass.
And a taildragger, making a pretty landing. So I asked how it was, and
hearing the grass was smooth, decided I should renew acquaintance with
the green. * *And remembered for the first time in twenty years,
the rumble of wheels on grass. Sweet!

Brian W

It's worth reminding renters that some rental agreements prohibit
landing on other than paved surfaces, or require a special checkout.
Be sure to read the fine print!
Old August 16th 10, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gemini

On 2010-08-14, brian whatcott wrote:

Doing a couple of patterns this morning, before the heat was
overwhelming, I heard another plane - a C140? in the pattern calling
downwind for a 17 grass landing. This was a first, so I looked at
what was going on: to the right of the hard runway, was fresh mown grass.
And a taildragger, making a pretty landing. So I asked how it was, and
hearing the grass was smooth, decided I should renew acquaintance with
the green. And remembered for the first time in twenty years,
the rumble of wheels on grass. Sweet!

Brian W

Excellent! I actually only know grass. In my 15 hrs of training thus
far, I've only landed on asphalt 3x (3 T&G's in one lesson a
couple of weeks ago). Other than that, I only know soft short field
with obstructions...I rekcon that will make other airports seem
like a breeze, though.

Scott
Old August 16th 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On 2010-08-14, brian whatcott wrote:

[...]

You'll hear this many times, Scott. When you're operating from long
paved runways, short field with obstruction landing techniques are
fine so long as you plan your touch down point with respect to the
turn off you plan to use, and not the numbers. Landing on the numbers
and driving the airplane 2000 feet to the turn off will make you very
unpopular with people on close final.

Just had another safety related thought. People who are number one and
ready to go at uncontrolled airports look (or are supposed to be
trained to look) for traffic on final, and many will not look for
someone who might be pretty high -- be sure to be in the expected
'slot' where people might be looking, and for that matter, having your
landing light on is a way of calling additional attention to
yourself.

Expect other pilots to be inattentive and to do something stupid, and
once or twice a year you will not be disappointed. Every three or four
years you'll probably see someone doing turns around a tiedown because
they forgot to untie a wing! Turns around a tie down is NOT a student
maneuver, nor is taxi over a chock block.

Now go commit aviation!

Old August 23rd 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gemini

On 2010-08-14, brian whatcott wrote:

snip
Excellent! I actually only know grass. In my 15 hrs of training thus
far, I've only landed on asphalt 3x (3 T&G's *in one lesson a
couple of weeks ago). Other than that, I only know soft short field
with obstructions...I rekcon that will make other airports seem
like a breeze, though.

Scott

You'll hear this many times, Scott. When you're operating from long
paved runways, short field with obstruction landing techniques are
fine so long as you plan your touch down point with respect to the
turn off you plan to use, and not the numbers. Landing on the numbers
and driving the airplane 2000 feet to the turn off will make you very
unpopular with people on close final.

I actually have, already! Something that's firmly stuck in my
head now.

Just had another safety related thought. People who are number one and
ready to go at uncontrolled airports look (or are supposed to be
trained to look) for traffic on final, and many will not look for
someone who might be pretty high -- be sure to be in the expected
'slot' where people might be looking, and for that matter, having your
landing light on is a way of calling additional attention to
yourself.

We are trained for that. Fortunately, I watched another plane coming
in for a landing, so, that gave me a great visual reference to know
where to look. I've read a lot about flying the pattern properly b/c
that's what everyone is taught and that's what everyone else will
be expecting - so here's hoping everyone follows the rules...

Strangely, my instructor has never taught me to turn on landing lights
of any sort. There's no moention of lights (except the beacon) in any
of the checklists or instruction. I've been tempted to ask him about
it.

Expect other pilots to be inattentive and to do something stupid, and
once or twice a year you will not be disappointed. Every three or four
years you'll probably see someone doing turns around a tiedown because
they forgot to untie a wing! Turns around a tie down is NOT a student
maneuver, nor is taxi over a chock block.

Now go commit aviation!

Wouldn't the tied down wing be noticed during the preflight?

Trying to commit aviation - the weather, however, has different ideas...

Regards,
Scott