Sailplane Grand Prix US Florida 2018

Old March 27th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

Default Sailplane Grand Prix US Florida 2018

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 8:45:00 AM UTC-6, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 07:28:21 UTC-6, Renny wrote:
On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 6:23:21 AM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
Thanks Rich I knew John was working on an OGN network for Seminole.

Wish I was there too. Have fun!

Hopefully, the OGN network at Seminole will be up and running soon. One bit of good news is that we now have an operational OGN receiver operating at Moriarty, NM. Even though it is early in the season we have been able to track gliders out as far as 58 KM....

OGN tracks gliders with PowerFlarm correct? Any oher devices supported?

Ron - Yes, they track Flarms. They can also track OGN trackers, but at Moriarty we are only tracking gliders with PowerFlarms. More info can be found he http://wiki.glidernet.org/start
Old March 27th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

I'm trying to follow the SGP today on the SSA tracker page, but there are so many duplicate contest identifiers, it's impossible to figure out what's going on. The task isn't loading and there is no specific tab for the SGP. You have to just find Seminole Lake Gliderport and go from there.

Paul A.
Old March 27th 18, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Try this; they are flying the task now.

http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:396
Old March 27th 18, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Much, much better. Thanks. I'll bookmark this for the rest of the contest.

Paul A.
Old March 28th 18, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 10:04:01 AM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
SGP scheduled to begin first race day today launch 1:15est. Other than the SGP website, not sure where to get current updates.

http://www.sgp.aero/usa2018/race-cov...ontestID=31089

Looks competitive: 7 seconds between 1st and 2nd, first 6 places separated by less than a minute and a half.
Old March 28th 18, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Paul, The Sailplane Grand Prix is an FAI event, not an SSA event. Go to the official website at SGP.aero where you can see the race in nearly real time, scores, comments, photos, and when Sean gets a break...he provides a blow by blow commentary of the entire race using See You in 3D mode. We really want to mirror this at the Seniors but we really need a volunteer who has good IT skills. We tried to group text the task, morning announcements this year. Funny as heck seeing a bunch of 60 something’s sitting around with the ground crew kids trying to figure it out with no luck. Cheers, Rich
Old March 28th 18, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Rich - I started with SGPAero.com and gave up trying to find converage or tracking. SSA was spotty, but it was much better on GlideportAero - though, still with duplicate contest ID's showing.

The Chile SGPtracking and commentary really boosted the experience and I hope we can get that up for next year.

Paul
Old March 28th 18, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 08:52:12 UTC-6, Paul Agnew wrote:
Rich - I started with SGPAero.com and gave up trying to find converage or tracking. SSA was spotty, but it was much better on GlideportAero - though, still with duplicate contest ID's showing.

The Chile SGPtracking and commentary really boosted the experience and I hope we can get that up for next year.

Paul

Paul the duplicate contest Id's are showing up because each pilot is flying with multiple loggers
Old March 28th 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 11:08:22 AM UTC-4, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 08:52:12 UTC-6, Paul Agnew wrote:
Rich - I started with SGPAero.com and gave up trying to find converage or tracking. SSA was spotty, but it was much better on GlideportAero - though, still with duplicate contest ID's showing.

The Chile SGPtracking and commentary really boosted the experience and I hope we can get that up for next year.

Paul

Paul the duplicate contest Id's are showing up because each pilot is flying with multiple loggers

Tracking working a bit better today
Old March 29th 18, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Paul, in a World level event, the amount of sponsorship money is much greater and hiring a company to supply tracking services is easy. With a race of only 12 pilots it’s a little different story. The experience you gain by flying in the event is awesome. Any pilot who seriously wants to be on the US Soaring Team or wants to improve their standings in National level events should use this as a training opportunity. You cannot find this kind of training in the US. However, as a retiree it is easy for me to say that. The vast majority of pilots do not have the time to spend on 4-5 contests a year.

About the tracker issue.....we contacted Fly Event which provides tracking services. They are letting us use a number of trackers this week to see how they work. If satisfied, we will use them during the 18 Meter Nationals this May. Any of your club members want to help out during the contest?