soliciting DG-101 info

Old March 29th 18, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default soliciting DG-101 info

Hi all,

I'm looking at a DG-101G and am seeking feedback from experienced pilots regarding handling, assembly, landing, and any components that are typically subjected to wear or damage.

Thanks-
Matt

Old March 31st 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JB Gunner

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:58:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking at a DG-101G and am seeking feedback from experienced pilots regarding handling, assembly, landing, and any components that are typically subjected to wear or damage.

Thanks-
Matt

I am not an experienced glider pilot. I hesitate to reply as I only have about 20 flights in my DG and less then 100 total flights in any glider but I realize the community is small so I will offer my opinion. I have found it pleasant to fly. Stalls have been no big deal whether wings level or in a bank. Spins the same. I haven't tried the other approved aerobatic maneuvers.

I have only assembled it once with help from the previous owner as I hangar it. I did think the aileron hookups where a bit of a pain with the wire safety pin difficult to get correct. The wings seemed heavy and since it was just two of us I sure needed the one man rigger to help. Putting on the elevator was fine. Landing has not been a issue so far. Spoilers seem effective. I use full forward trim on my CG hook for aerotow launches as suggest by a flight review I read online. Google it if you haven't.

Visibility is great, I really like the canopy. Cockpit fits me at 6'4" but not a lot of headroom.

I don't have any info on wear items. I would buy it again.

Old March 31st 18, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 10:58:06 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking at a DG-101G and am seeking feedback from experienced pilots regarding handling, assembly, landing, and any components that are typically subjected to wear or damage.

Thanks-
Matt

Hi Matt,

I owned a DG 100G (different canopy)for some time and found it a very easy glider to fly. No bad habits, a good climbing glider with a good glide comparable to a Libelle or Cirrus, nearly as good as a Pegasus flown dry and very very comfortable. Assembly was ok although one of the aileron le hotellier fittings was in sort of a difficult place to get to in order to insert the safety pin. Landings were easy. They are nice gliders and an easy transition from a Grob 103, and much nicer to fly.

Mike
Old March 31st 18, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]

I have been flying a DG 101G for three seasons and absolutely love it.
-No bad habits in the air or on the ground
-excellent rudder and aileron authority even at very low speeds. High wing clearance makes crosswind TO's/Landings that much easier
-GC hook for towline will be intimidating on your first tow but is a non-issue
-light wings with easy spar-pin assembly
-auto hookup elevator
-you can assemble this glider in 5-minutes if you have a good trailer (not including taping etc)
-comfortable cockpit with amazing visibility
-Elevator control mechanism greatly reduces turbulence induced osscillations
-trim is set with pull of pinky finger-amazing!
-cool looking glider
-tough gelcoat!!!
-climbs very well.
-soft wings very comfortable at high speeds
-linear and powerful single pane airbrakes

cons:

-DG tax to get parts (roughly $400 a year plus the part you are buying)
-canopy window could have been placed better
-Doesn't run that well above 80 kts...but how often are you cruising at this speed?
-must set trim full forward (Part of TO checklist) for aerotow; if you don't the glider will balloon quickly off the ground and get dangerous fast (especially light pilots)
-There are only 9 registered DG 100's in the USA. So, we can't all have one

I'm not aware of any problem areas? Check that the few required AD's have been complied with and noted in the logbook. Otherwise, buy it! You won't regret it.
Old April 1st 18, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rj

On Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 8:38:38 AM UTC-4, Pete wrote:
I have been flying a DG 101G for three seasons...
cons:
-must set trim full forward (Part of TO checklist) for aerotow; if you don't the glider will balloon quickly off the ground and get dangerous fast (especially light pilots)

Full forward trim on aero tow??? I have an LS 1 f and my flight manual says to set forward trim also, but full forward trim??? I find that in my glider, I just need to set the trim slightly forward of middle to aero tow nicely. I know that my glider is different from yours, but they are from the same era in glider design and some what similar designs.

If I shove the trim all the way forward, the control stick is almost touching the radio. I will admit that I am not a light weight pilot, but FULL forward trim???

Old April 1st 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rj

On Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 9:49:13 PM UTC-4, rj wrote:
On Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 8:38:38 AM UTC-4, Pete wrote:
I have been flying a DG 101G for three seasons...
cons:
-must set trim full forward (Part of TO checklist) for aerotow; if you don't the glider will balloon quickly off the ground and get dangerous fast (especially light pilots)

Full forward trim on aero tow??? I have an LS 1 f and my flight manual says to set forward trim also, but full forward trim??? I find that in my glider, I just need to set the trim slightly forward of middle to aero tow nicely. I know that my glider is different from yours, but they are from the same era in glider design and some what similar designs. I have a CG hook.

Old April 1st 18, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Couple of things;

1) Absolutely loved my DG-101. Had heart palpitations when I saw it drive away for the last time. Very popular ship for first time glass buyers and it retains its value.

2) Trim full forward aerotow. Yep, that is what the POD says. Never had any issues.

3) There are 48 (not 9) registered DG-100/101's in the US. http://registry..faa.gov/aircraftinq...G-101&PageNo=1.

4) Hotellier - This is a bit of a downside. There is an AD that mandates some type of positive safety, the cheapest being safety pins. Getting those on two of the fittings is "easy" as these are just inside of the turtledeck hatch. The other two need to be done by feel. Other options can be seen at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/wedekind/. The best option by far is installing Wedekind-Sicherung ("LS Safety") sleeves.

Best of Luck, John OHM Ω
Old April 1st 18, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

3) There are 48 (not 9) registered DG-100/101's in the US. http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...G-101&PageNo=1.

Sorry, bad FAA registry link. http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...G-100&PageNo=1

info [email protected] Soaring 0 December 10th 12 01:36 AM
Info bruce About AviationBanter 0 September 14th 05 11:30 AM
POSA Carb Info and HAPI Engine Info Bill Home Built 0 March 8th 04 08:23 PM
Starting new info site need info from the pros MRQB Piloting 7 January 5th 04 03:20 AM
Soliciting Testimonials on Covering Systems Larry Smith Home Built 5 August 18th 03 09:24 AM