"Flying too High" by Steven Pomper

Old October 4th 05, 08:10 PM
Jay Honeck

True, you cannot legislate common sense, and Boyer really likes to muddy
the waters. Saying that people drive drunk, or drive or fly drunk too
does not change anything). Besides, I have seen boaters and auto drivers
being given sobriety checks when they were pulled over. How often does
that happen with pilots?

It's called a "ramp check", and the FAA does them at airports
regularly.

In my ten years of flying, I've seen one pilot being given a breath
test, and I've been ramp checked (although not "breath tested") myself.
Given how little GA flying actually occurs anymore, that's an
amazingly high percentage of flights being checked. (Or I'm just
lucky.)

In that same period of time I've NEVER seen a motorist being given a
breath test, even though I've driven exponentially more than I've
flown.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 4th 05, 08:19 PM
Steve Foley

That's what passes for 'Excellent Journalism' these days.

wrote in message
oups.com...
That article was so full of half-truths and outright distortions as to
be laughable,

Old October 4th 05, 08:21 PM
Skylune

Generally well heeled: I don't think that is a huge leap. Wild Wild West,
well, I agree with that, as does my pilot friend who cannot operate the
GPS (still!). As do many of your fellow pilots, judging by this news
group....

Old October 4th 05, 08:26 PM
Skylune

Who administered the breath test to the pilot?

I'm not really suggesting it is needed before each flight (except maybe in
Orville's case, who also needs a random pee test), I'm just suggesting that
standards to obtain your ticket should be much tougher than they are now.
And, a standard annual drug test should be required -- that is a no
brainer.

Old October 4th 05, 08:38 PM
Steve Foley

An annual drug test would do nothing. Any druggie knows to cut it out for a
few days when you have to take a whiz-quiz.

lkaboutaviation.com...

Old October 4th 05, 08:50 PM
Bob Moore

ET wrote

Ah, your in the wrong thread, this belongs in the "Troll of the year
award" thread.

And perhaps your's belongs in the English Challenged thread! "You're"
is the correct contraction for "you are".

Bob Moore
Old October 4th 05, 08:57 PM
Skylune

Well then the hair test s/b administered.

Old October 4th 05, 08:59 PM
Mark T. Dame

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

The piece is obviously a hit piece and worthless as objective reporting.

What's "objective reporting"? I've never heard of that before...

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## VP, Product Development
Old October 4th 05, 09:03 PM
Mark T. Dame

Skylune wrote:

I'm not really suggesting it is needed before each flight (except maybe in
Orville's case, who also needs a random pee test), I'm just suggesting that
standards to obtain your ticket should be much tougher than they are now.
And, a standard annual drug test should be required -- that is a no
brainer.

Only if the same is required for your driver's license.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## VP, Product Development
## MFM Software, Inc. (http://www.mfm.com/)
"All your base are belong us!!"
Old October 4th 05, 09:07 PM
ET

Bob Moore wrote in
. 121:

ET wrote

Ah, your in the wrong thread, this belongs in the "Troll of the year
award" thread.

And perhaps your's belongs in the English Challenged thread! "You're"
is the correct contraction for "you are".

Bob Moore

So the spelling and grammer police have nothing to do today eh??? git a
live!

yes I did it on porpose... yeah that one two.., oh, and that one

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams