IFR Practical test requirements

Old January 23rd 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
kevmor

Default IFR Practical test requirements

So I'm reading my ASA Practical test standards booklet for Instrument
Airplane and it says:

(pg.6)

2. pass the appropriate instrument rating knowledge test SINCE THE
BEGINNING OF THE 24TH MONTH BEFORE THE MONTH IN WHICH THE PRACTICAL
TEST WAS TAKEN.

This means if I took the knowledge test 2/22/05, it's good until the
end of the month, 2/28/07, right? Can anyone make sense of the above?

Old January 23rd 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill Zaleski

On 22 Jan 2007 17:06:41 -0800, "kevmor" wrote:

So I'm reading my ASA Practical test standards booklet for Instrument
Airplane and it says:

(pg.6)

2. pass the appropriate instrument rating knowledge test SINCE THE
BEGINNING OF THE 24TH MONTH BEFORE THE MONTH IN WHICH THE PRACTICAL
TEST WAS TAKEN.

This means if I took the knowledge test 2/22/05, it's good until the
end of the month, 2/28/07, right? Can anyone make sense of the above?

You are correct. Good till the end of the month 2 years after the
month you took it in.

Old January 23rd 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 01/22/07 17:06, kevmor wrote:
So I'm reading my ASA Practical test standards booklet for Instrument
Airplane and it says:

(pg.6)

2. pass the appropriate instrument rating knowledge test SINCE THE
BEGINNING OF THE 24TH MONTH BEFORE THE MONTH IN WHICH THE PRACTICAL
TEST WAS TAKEN.

This means if I took the knowledge test 2/22/05, it's good until the
end of the month, 2/28/07, right? Can anyone make sense of the above?

Sounds like you just did. The results are good for 24 months.

Of course, if you think that's just too long, you can always take
the test again ;-)

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old January 24th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
kevmor

Also, are steep turns required for the practical test? I don't see
them in the standards, but I've heard they are.

On Jan 22, 5:19 pm, Mark Hansen wrote:
On 01/22/07 17:06, kevmor wrote:

So I'm reading my ASA Practical test standards booklet for Instrument
Airplane and it says:

(pg.6)

2. pass the appropriate instrument rating knowledge test SINCE THE
BEGINNING OF THE 24TH MONTH BEFORE THE MONTH IN WHICH THE PRACTICAL
TEST WAS TAKEN.

This means if I took the knowledge test 2/22/05, it's good until the
end of the month, 2/28/07, right? Can anyone make sense of the above?Sounds like you just did. The results are good for 24 months.

Old January 24th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 01/24/07 13:23, kevmor wrote:
Also, are steep turns required for the practical test? I don't see
them in the standards, but I've heard they are.

In some cases, the D.E. has a choice from a number of activities,
like "pick any two of the following 5" for example.

Steep turns are part of the PP-ASEL PTS, but I'd have to look at
it to see if they are actually required (I think they are).

Old January 24th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 01/24/07 13:30, Mark Hansen wrote:
On 01/24/07 13:23, kevmor wrote:
Also, are steep turns required for the practical test? I don't see
them in the standards, but I've heard they are.

In some cases, the D.E. has a choice from a number of activities,
like "pick any two of the following 5" for example.

Steep turns are part of the PP-ASEL PTS, but I'd have to look at
it to see if they are actually required (I think they are).

Oops, I see now that this was for the IR Practical Test. No, I don't
think steep turns are part of the IR practical. Recovery from unusual
attitudes is (while under the hood, of course) ... and some of those
can be pretty steep ;-)

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old January 25th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

kevmor wrote:
Also, are steep turns required for the practical test? I don't see
them in the standards, but I've heard they are.

The PTS changed in October. Steep turns for the instrument are gone.
Old January 25th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kevin Clarke

Ron Natalie wrote:
kevmor wrote:
Also, are steep turns required for the practical test? I don't see
them in the standards, but I've heard they are.

The PTS changed in October. Steep turns for the instrument are gone.

which makes sense since everything is supposed to be standard rate or
1/2 rate.

I'm 1 or 2 more practice rides from the check ride. Looking forward to
being done.

KC
Old January 25th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

They maybe gone from the PTS, but any good training course
will still include them.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

link.net...

Old January 25th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kevin Clarke

Jim Macklin wrote:
They maybe gone from the PTS, but any good training course
will still include them.

I still did them (awhile ago now). I actually found them easier under
the hood then when doing my PPL. You just keep checking on the AI during
the scan and keep that picture the same. Rollout is the same under the
hood or not. Assuming you don't futz with the power or trim (which you
wouldn't do normally anyway).

KC