joining the traffic pattern quandary

Old January 3rd 05, 11:26 PM

Default joining the traffic pattern quandary

Consider the following FARs,
§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G
airspace.
b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without
an operating control tower in Class G airspace-
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to
the left ....

AND
91.129 Operations in Class D airspace.
(a) General. ... each person operating an aircraft in Class D airspace
must comply with ... §§91.126 and 91.127.

The question could be asked, how do you join the pattern, since when
attempting same you are obviously "approaching to land at an airport"

Now, AIM 4-3-3. Traffic Patterns Provides some recommendations:

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/aim/Chap4/4-3-1

with "(See FIG 4-3-2)".

Now interestingly, this figure shows a 45 degree right turn to join
the downwind, with the example stating:
"Enter pattern in level flight, abeam the midpoint of the runway."

However, and this is the quandary, the AIM example recommends a
procedure that seems to be against the FAR about left turns when
"approaching to land".

Can it be that joining the pattern is not considered as "approaching
to land", and hence, mandatory left turns are not required?

Because if so, a pilot can be on a RIGHT base, thus join the circuit
turning to final, and thus avoid the whole idea of a left traffic
pattern, and the "all turns to the left when approaching to land" FAR.

Loopholes, anyone?

Stan

Old January 4th 05, 12:18 AM
Bob Gardner

Don't forget Advisory Circular 90-66A when collecting information.

At a Class D airport, you will follow the controller's instructions....might
be right base, might be left base, might be straight in to the
downwind...only the controller knows for sure, and you can always question
his/her instructions and get something you want instead of what they want,
consistent with safety. So quoting regs with regard to Class D is an
exercise in futility. And you ignored that part of 91.126 relating to visual
markings and right turns...that's cheating on your part.

I'm sure that there are "joining the pattern" incidents somewhere in the US
every day, but for most of us it is not a quandary.

Bob Gardner

Old January 4th 05, 12:34 PM

Hi Matt.
John Deakin's Pelican article you brought up had just the point I was
considering, Here's a snip

"In fact, I can make a very good case that the classic 45-degree entry
is itself a violation of the FARs, since it is ALWAYS in the opposite
direction to the established flow of traffic. Since it is the final
turn onto the downwind leg, it must certainly be in the "vicinity" of
the airport, and therefore covered by the above regs"

thus, even the 45 degree right turn on downwind should be considered a
violation of the FARs
Stan

Of course there's always the 45-degree zealots
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182100-1.html

Old January 4th 05, 12:34 PM

Bob, is AC 90-66a available on line? As it is "advisory", I take it
that it is similar to the aim recommended procedures, but not
regulatory as in FARs?

I was referring to non towered, and where pattern direction was clear,
I'm assuming left for simplicity.

The quandary is, the aim recommends a 45 degree RIGHT turn to join the
pattern, whereas the fars say all turns to the LEFT when approaching
to land.

If it is argued that joining the circuit via the RIGHT turn is
approaching to land, then the AIM is in conflict with the FARs.

If it is argued that joining the circuit via the RIGHT turn is NOT
approaching to land, then is should be permissable to join short final
via a RIGHT turn also. And hence a Right base where left pattern is
in effect would be permissible.

Thus the quandary
Stan

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:18:58 -0800, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Don't forget Advisory Circular 90-66A when collecting information.

At a Class D airport, you will follow the controller's instructions....might

utility. And you ignored that part of 91.126 relating to visual
markings and right turns...that's cheating on your part.

Bob Gardner

.. .

Old January 4th 05, 12:35 PM

Thanks, Roy
As I've just posted to Bob, if "approaching to land" means "already in
the pattern", then I could do a 90 degree right turn onto short final,
where left pattern is in effect.

So if a RIGHT turn is permitted by the FARs onto downwind, then so
must a RIGHT turn onto final (where left traffic in effect).

Hence the quandary

StanOn Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:26:27 -0500, Roy Smith
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Consider the following FARs,
§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G
airspace.
b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without
an operating control tower in Class G airspace-
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to
the left ....

This is one of those perennial questions. If you take the regulation at
face value, it is nonsensical. I think the only way to have it make
sense is to interpret "approaching to land" as "already in the pattern".
Of course you're going to make a right turn onto downwind in a left
pattern if you're approaching on the 45.

I think all they're really trying to say is "If there's no published
pattern direction for the airport, use left traffic. If there is, do
what's published."

Since you posted this to r.a.ifr, I guess it's fair game to consider
circling approaches. If the weather is good enough that there might be
VFR traffic, obey the published VFR traffic pattern. If the SIAP
contains circling limitations, obey those. Above all, use common sense
and keep a good traffic watch.

Old January 4th 05, 01:52 PM
Greg Esres

So if a RIGHT turn is permitted by the FARs onto downwind, then so
must a RIGHT turn onto final (where left traffic in effect).Hence the
quandary

There is no quandary.

The 45 right-turn entry into downwind is recommended by the AIM and
would not be so if it had ever been held to be illegal.

Once in the pattern, left turns are mandatory unless the stated ground
signals exist, if it's an untowered airport.

What's so hard about this?

then I could do a 90 degree right turn onto short final,
where left pattern is in effect.

No, you couldn't. Pilots have been violated for this and it has been
upheld by the NTSB. You would have to intercept final at a
"considerable" distance from the runway in order to not be "in the
pattern." The distance depends on what type of airplane you're
flying.

Old January 4th 05, 01:58 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
wrote:

Thanks, Roy
As I've just posted to Bob, if "approaching to land" means "already in
the pattern", then I could do a 90 degree right turn onto short final,
where left pattern is in effect.

So if a RIGHT turn is permitted by the FARs onto downwind, then so
must a RIGHT turn onto final (where left traffic in effect).

Hence the quandary

Well, like I said, you need to apply common sense. Somebody just posted
about this instrument approach:

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...00379LDBCA.PDF

Let's say you're coming in from San Marcus. What are you supposed to do
when you reach KOAKS? You make a (gasp) right turn onto final. Surely
you're "approaching to land", since you're flying an approach procedure.
Are you going to worry that the runway may have a left traffic pattern and
therefore 91.126 won't let you make a right turn? Of course not.

You need to apply common sense. If you're going to look for
inconsistencies and stupidities in the FARs, you'll spend your whole life
getting hung up on stuff like this.
Old January 4th 05, 02:05 PM
William W. Plummer

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Well said, Roy. Experience brings confidence and judgment. Reliance
on rigid reading of laws is just the start.