B58

Old September 13th 08, 12:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

Default B58

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b58 copy.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	29277
Old September 13th 08, 12:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Glenn" wrote in message

Great movie called Fail Safe had the B-58. In that movie, the B-58 was
called the "Vindicator"; was that the actual name?

Old September 13th 08, 01:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Herman

No, the official name was Hustler.
Caused quite a stir at the time because in the US of A a Hustler is also a
Lady of Negotiable Virtue.
The name was retained though.

Regards,
Herman

"Alan Erskine" schreef in bericht

Old September 13th 08, 06:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Alan Erskine wrote:

Great movie called Fail Safe had the B-58. In that movie, the B-58
was called the "Vindicator"; was that the actual name?

Hustler

Old September 13th 08, 06:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bill Brown

"Glenn" wrote in message

Glenn,
That is one H - - - of a difficult place to take photographs with the
lighting in that part of the Museum. You did it a lot better than *I* did.
Congrats!
--
William M. (Bill) Brown
seneo-pro

Old September 13th 08, 06:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Panic

No. The B-58 was the Hustler. See:

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site
http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
USAF Pilot Class 55-I Web Site
http://pilotclass55india.org/

Old September 13th 08, 08:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Panic" wrote in message
No. The B-58 was the Hustler. See:

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler Web Site
http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
USAF Pilot Class 55-I Web Site
http://pilotclass55india.org/

Maybe they couldn't say "Hustler" in the '60's...

Old September 14th 08, 12:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

Actually, the hardest part was waiting till the people got out of the shot.
I spent 2 days there and eventually for some shots just had to live with
people. Although, I went back to the third hall on day 2 and went there
before anyone else and got a good 30 minutes before the first person
appeared
"Bill Brown" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 14th 08, 11:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Whiley

Alan Erskine wrote:
"Glenn" wrote in message

Great movie called Fail Safe had the B-58. In that movie, the B-58 was
called the "Vindicator"; was that the actual name?

With you on Fail Safe - unfortunately (and unjustly) overshadowed in
popular memory by Dr Strangelove, IMO.

.... and the name "(Villiers) Vindicator" was also used for the V-bomber
in Thunderball (the novel at any rate - I can't remember whether it was
named in the film, or whether the Vulcan just made an uncredited cameo
appearance.)

--
Dave

not-me should be djw001 and there's no need for any wossname
Old September 14th 08, 12:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Dave Whiley" wrote in message
With you on Fail Safe - unfortunately (and unjustly) overshadowed in
popular memory by Dr Strangelove, IMO.

... and the name "(Villiers) Vindicator" was also used for the V-bomber in
Thunderball (the novel at any rate - I can't remember whether it was named
in the film, or whether the Vulcan just made an uncredited cameo
appearance.)

I don't think it was a Vulcan in Thunderball; I think it was the Valiant.

As for Dr Strangelove; they are two completely different movies. Stangelove
was the blackest of black comedies, while Fail Safe was something else
entirely; both great movies (for some reason, my DVD of Fail Safe won't play
properly on my DVD player damn it!). Of the two, Fail Safe is the better
movie as it shows how easily something like that could happen; however, on
the Strangelove DVD, there's an interview with Robert McNamara - quite an
amazing interview - he says the situation in Strangelove was quite possible.

Very scary.