spar varnish

Old May 1st 04, 05:58 PM
Lou Parker

Default spar varnish

I'm about to close up my wood spar, should I varnish the inside first?
Lou
Old May 2nd 04, 04:21 PM
Ed Bryant

My take. If it's possible to be exposed to air, varnish - this includes
drilled holes, inside spaces, etc.

Ed.

om...

Old May 3rd 04, 05:00 AM
Rich S.

"Lou Parker" wrote in message
om...
I'm about to close up my wood spar, should I varnish the inside first?
Lou

I would. I remember touring a yacht factory once. As I tiptoed through a
nice forty-footer under construction, I saw a Swedish fellow who had just
finished sanding the inside of a small locker and was ready to varnish it. I
asked him, "Why sand and varnish that? No one will ever see it." He replied,
"God will".

On the inside of my spar, you would find pictures of friends and family
pasted to the caps; with signatures and messages wishing good flights and
good times to all those who fly in the plane. These are varnished over to
preserve them. It gives me a good feeling knowing they will always be with
me when I'm "slipping the surly bonds".

Rich S.

Old May 3rd 04, 01:35 PM
Ernest Christley

Rich S. wrote:

On the inside of my spar, you would find pictures of friends and family
pasted to the caps; with signatures and messages wishing good flights and
good times to all those who fly in the plane. These are varnished over to
preserve them. It gives me a good feeling knowing they will always be with
me when I'm "slipping the surly bonds".

Rich S.

That has got to be the best building tip I've ever found. Thank you.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,
Old May 3rd 04, 03:58 PM
BllFs6

the plane. These are varnished over to
preserve them. It gives me a good feeling knowing they will always be with
me when I'm "slipping the surly bonds".

Rich S.

For some really odd reason that reminds me of my favorite tombstone
engraving....

"I told them I was sick"

take care

Blll
Old May 3rd 04, 04:19 PM
Rich S.

"BllFs6" wrote in message
the plane. These are varnished over to
preserve them. It gives me a good feeling knowing they will always be

with
me when I'm "slipping the surly bonds".

Rich S.

For some really odd reason that reminds me of my favorite tombstone
engraving....

"I told them I was sick"

take care

Blll

There's also a note from me in there. "If you can read this. . ."

Rich S. %}

Spar gluing Lou Parker Home Built 26 November 21st 03 08:29 PM
Marske spar workshop Marske Flying Wings Home Built 0 October 14th 03 04:53 PM
FS: Wing spar angle extrusions Bob Kuykendall Home Built 0 September 25th 03 08:23 PM
Carbon Spar design and construction workshop Marske Flying Wings Home Built 0 September 18th 03 05:47 PM
Wood questions - Public Lumber Company, determining species at the lumberyard Corrie Home Built 17 September 17th 03 06:51 PM